GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What to look for when buying a RMW

Go down 
+7
BigBlackBeaSSt
Roadagon
Wagoninabox
brokecello
Mark 96 Roady
jayoldschool
j2rossit
11 posters
AuthorMessage
j2rossit

j2rossit

What to look for when buying a RMW Empty
PostSubject: What to look for when buying a RMW   What to look for when buying a RMW Icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 7:15 am

I'm wondering what the problem areas are? where does rust tend to start? any common problems that usually lead lots of cash out of your pocket?
I'm talking about either of the L05 or LT1 powered versions.
Thanks
Jon
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying a RMW   What to look for when buying a RMW Icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 10:21 am

1. Rust. Brake lines, especially up on the frame under the driver's door. Frame around the jack points. Body behind the wheels Floor, especially driver's side. Inner fenders. Under battery.
2. Interior. A ratty interior is work/cash to fix. However, I'd take a car that had racoons living in it if it was rust free.
3. Body. If you want your car nice, and can't do paint, be rich.

Everything else is just spinning wrenches.
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying a RMW   What to look for when buying a RMW Icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 9:02 pm

If you really want a nice one, spend a few extra bucks and buy one from the south. I bought mine from Fred in North(or south, I can't remember) Carolina, and it is 100% rust free. Driving a 16 year old car everyday is somewhat risky, but by not having to worry about crap falling off your car as you drive makes it less of a concern, at least for me.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying a RMW   What to look for when buying a RMW Icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 9:09 am

Yeah, if you get one that has seen any winters at all....plan on replacing

*Power Steering Lines
*Trans Cooler Lines
*Brake Lines

Exhaust Leaks - (missing manifold bolts..or bolt heads broken off) I've had to replace a manifold and many many bolts with all the cars I've owned or bought. Lol

Transmission Issues - When you get in for the test drive, put it in reverse. If it takes more than a second or two to go into reverse...plan on a rebuild. Joel has lots of good info on this in the transmission sticky.

Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
j2rossit

j2rossit

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying a RMW   What to look for when buying a RMW Icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 9:22 am

Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying a RMW   What to look for when buying a RMW Icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 9:37 pm

Any pictures of your Wildcat? It looks very cool.
Back to top Go down
j2rossit

j2rossit

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying a RMW   What to look for when buying a RMW Icon_minitimeFri Jan 17, 2014 5:43 am

Very Happy  Thanks, it's a fun car. it's 68 and I've had it for ~3 years now. When I got it, it had a new paint job, new exhaust, and new top, but that's about all it had going for it. The first year I had it I spent working on it to fix it up as a good driver. It's got new: brake system, whole fuel system, rebuilt the transmission, rebuilt the engine (455 out of a 70 Riviera), and a whole whack of your usual maintenance that had been neglected for a couple decades.
The only left it needs is to redo the front seats. .....and a re-chrome if I ever win the lottery.

What to look for when buying a RMW CompDSC03491
What to look for when buying a RMW CompDSC03492
What to look for when buying a RMW CompDSC03490
What to look for when buying a RMW CompDSC03497
What to look for when buying a RMW CompDSC03499
What to look for when buying a RMW CompDSC03498
What to look for when buying a RMW CompDSC03504
What to look for when buying a RMW CompDSC03505
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying a RMW   What to look for when buying a RMW Icon_minitimeFri Jan 17, 2014 7:16 am

That Wildcat is great! Never understood black interiors in these as it helps to have a brighter interior in a car with no overhead lighting. Keep up the work...that's a true head turner.
Back to top Go down
Roadagon

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying a RMW   What to look for when buying a RMW Icon_minitimeFri Jan 17, 2014 8:31 am

I think the responses by the current members regarding the question what to look for when
you buy a Roady Wagon were well thought out,even though I got mine over 5 years ago,I learned
some new things to look for. Anyway that Wildcat is an impressive machine. The 455ci Buick was
capable of producing gobs of HP and torque! ed
Back to top Go down
j2rossit

j2rossit

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying a RMW   What to look for when buying a RMW Icon_minitimeFri Jan 17, 2014 9:06 am

Yeah, it's got a ton of torque, It's bored out and everything was replaced on the rebuild. It's still only got ~300-400 miles on the engine so it keeps getting better and better as it breaks in. The only problem with living here is I only get 6 months of the year to drive it....
It's not the most practical, 6-7 mpg, can't drive it in the rain and the exhaust is not exactly whisper quiet  Smile, but she sure is fun.

I've got a good line on a 92 RMW that needs some lower moldings. Will those fit from all 91-96?
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying a RMW   What to look for when buying a RMW Icon_minitimeFri Jan 17, 2014 1:15 pm

I had a 1969 Delta 88 conv. They are fun!! 455 with a 2 bbl carb and peg leg rear. Would smoke 1 tire FOREVER!!
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying a RMW   What to look for when buying a RMW Icon_minitimeFri Jan 17, 2014 4:27 pm

Sweet Wildcat! Long, handsome and rare. It's more than welcome to Winter down here with me.  Wink 
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
j2rossit

j2rossit

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying a RMW   What to look for when buying a RMW Icon_minitimeFri Jan 17, 2014 5:35 pm

Olds Weighty Eight wrote:
Sweet Wildcat! Long, handsome and rare. It's more than welcome to Winter down here with me.  Wink 

Maybe I'll take you up on that, good winter storage is hard to find Laughing  
Back to top Go down
Joe B.

Joe B.

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying a RMW   What to look for when buying a RMW Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 4:41 pm

Aside from what the others mentioned, these areas were not readily visible on my '91.
My driver side floor has rust on the inside from wet snowy shoes.
The fuel line where it comes out of the tank rusted through.
The oil pan rusted through above the cross member.
Thank goodness, no roof leaks so far.

I sold my beautiful '69 Wildcat coupe to buy the wagon.
I loved it but as a regular driver it just used too much gas.
Also, with the 10.25 compression, it would ping like crazy in the heat without super and octane boost.
Back to top Go down
Roadmasher

Roadmasher

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying a RMW   What to look for when buying a RMW Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 5:51 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
1. Rust. Brake lines, especially up on the frame under the driver's door. Frame around the jack points. Body behind the wheels Floor, especially driver's side. Inner fenders. Under battery.

I was checking under the front wheel wells and noticed it is rusted out under the battery. What causes this? What are the repair options short of replacing the whole inner fender?
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying a RMW   What to look for when buying a RMW Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 8:13 pm

Thanks for the photos of the Wildcat. I love big convertibles of the late 60's thru the early 70's. Keep up the good work on its restoration.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying a RMW   What to look for when buying a RMW Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 8:44 pm

Roadmasher wrote:
jayoldschool wrote:

I was checking under the front wheel wells and noticed it is rusted out under the battery. What causes this? What are the repair options short of replacing the whole inner fender?

Battery acid leaks, causes rust under battery. Battery tray is right on the inner fender, moisture builds up, it rusts through. It's cheaper and easier to replace the complete inner. However, you can cut/patch/paint and put in a new tray if you're handy.
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying a RMW   What to look for when buying a RMW Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 11:24 pm

Just had the complete inner fender out to replace the power antenna. Lucky enough, no rust there.
Pete
Back to top Go down
Roadmasher

Roadmasher

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying a RMW   What to look for when buying a RMW Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 12:24 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
Battery acid leaks, causes rust under battery. Battery tray is right on the inner fender, moisture builds up, it rusts through. It's cheaper and easier to replace the complete inner. However, you can cut/patch/paint and put in a new tray if you're handy.

Dang it, can't figure out how to get the author and quote in the same box. . . . scratch 

Thanks jayoldschool, that's pretty much what I figured. I haven't pulled the battery out yet to look at the tray, but I fear it looks like the one posted elsewhere. Now I gotta just find the parts. . .

Jon - love the Wildcat pics. I had 2 '70 GS 455's, one factory new one used. Great cars, think I have pics somewhere. . .
Back to top Go down
j2rossit

j2rossit

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying a RMW   What to look for when buying a RMW Icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2014 11:39 am

Thanks for all the comments guys. Just got a 92 RMW back up here and I'll write more in the intro thread I started.
It is super clean with no hint of rust on the inner fenders, battery tray or any of the lines.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying a RMW   What to look for when buying a RMW Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What to look for when buying a RMW
Page 1 of 1