GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

*****HEADLINER*****

Go down 
+9
piranah
95BRMW
94Woody
jayoldschool
Fred Kiehl
Olds Weighty Eight
buickestate
Krzdimond
Major Dan
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Major Dan

Major Dan

*****HEADLINER***** Empty
PostSubject: *****HEADLINER*****   *****HEADLINER***** Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 11:50 pm

Anybody know where I can buy a headliner for my 96 Roadmaster Wagon???

Thanks!!!

Dan confused
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: *****HEADLINER*****   *****HEADLINER***** Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2014 11:56 pm

Go visit your local "mom and pop" dealership and ask who they use. The "buy here, pay here" places usually won't pay for such services.

Small major brand dealerships are good too.
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: *****HEADLINER*****   *****HEADLINER***** Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 8:32 am

what colour is your headliner?
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: *****HEADLINER*****   *****HEADLINER***** Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 9:07 am

Check this place out: Your Auto Trim

I found the color for my OCC, a nice kit with the material and adhesive, reasonable pricing & quick shipping. Doing the job yourself is pretty easy actually. Just be careful with the headliner board in the thin sections around the vista roof. I did the job a couple years ago now and it's holding up nicely.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
Major Dan

Major Dan

PostSubject: COLOR   *****HEADLINER***** Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 10:22 am

Hello!

The color of the interior is the standard issue beige. I just bought a one-owner 1996 for $6,000 with miles with 33,000 on it. The old guy that had it apparently tried to slide something into the back and ripped the headliner.

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: *****HEADLINER*****   *****HEADLINER***** Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 10:41 am

I got a headliner out of a Caprice wagon, reinforced the area at the sides of the vista window with carbon fiber and resin (you could use fiberglass) from the top side, and cut a new hole for the vista window. I had to fill the space where the roof light was. Now I do not have to be especially careful with it when getting it recovered. I can almost stand on it. All of the headliners I have removed from RMWs and OCCs have been damaged along the vista windows. The  foam backing is rather fragile. Also, when you remove the center fastener at the rear, use a pivot point on the metal and be careful with the foam it is extremely fragile.

The rear trim for the headliner is held on by nylon clips and the "screws" are just a lock for the clip. You have to remove the "screws" carefully, because they are easy to break. I have some spares if you break them. They are not available to the best of my knowledge. The clips can be released by pushing on them from the side with a screw driver under the trim. The clips are also not available if you damage them.

The cost of my headliner repair was about $75. The foam did not come off cleanly, and had to be "sanded" lightly. If I did it again, I think I would a use 2 oz/yd. carbon fiber on the whole bottom of the foam, and make it really solid. The only issue is that the polyester sets up extremely fast, and I would opt for a slow cure epoxy.

Last edited by Fred Kiehl on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: *****HEADLINER*****   *****HEADLINER***** Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 10:42 am

Recover it yourself. My mother did the headliner in her 91 Caprice after I gave her instructions. Foam-backed fabric from JoAnn's, spray glue from Home Depot. The key is getting ALL the old foam off the headliner board before you glue the new fabric on. Scrape, sand, wire brush, whatever it takes.

*****HEADLINER***** 100_2123

*****HEADLINER***** 100_2124

*****HEADLINER***** 100_2127
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: *****HEADLINER*****   *****HEADLINER***** Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 12:18 pm

Another vote for do it yourself. Just take your time and it is easy.

Removing the old backing is simple with a wire wheel in a drill at low speed. Flakes right off and prepares the backing.
Back to top Go down
Major Dan

Major Dan

PostSubject: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,   *****HEADLINER***** Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 2:15 pm

*****HEADLINER***** Roadma19
Code:
[code][/code]

Window Sticker..........
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: *****HEADLINER*****   *****HEADLINER***** Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2014 3:27 pm

There's a Light Beige on this sample card at Your Auto Trim:

*****HEADLINER***** Yourautotrim-store_2269_93597818
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: *****HEADLINER*****   *****HEADLINER***** Icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2014 8:04 am

Another vote for DIY, done a few in the past and they come out great. Make sure to use 3M glue, the off brand glue is worthless!
Back to top Go down
piranah

PostSubject: Re: *****HEADLINER*****   *****HEADLINER***** Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 12:10 pm

How much material do you need? I know you have to get the 60 inch wide fabric, but how much length is needed for our wagons?
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: *****HEADLINER*****   *****HEADLINER***** Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 12:53 pm

I don't recall how much I bought but this is how I figured it out.

*****HEADLINER***** WorkMate-16ft-Tape-Measure_2793_r
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: *****HEADLINER*****   *****HEADLINER***** Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 1:17 pm

A wagon headliner requires 3 yards of material. I got mine from yourautotrim.com
Back to top Go down
piranah

PostSubject: Re: *****HEADLINER*****   *****HEADLINER***** Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 2:31 pm

Thanks, was thinking it was about 3-4 yards
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: *****HEADLINER*****   *****HEADLINER***** Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 4:22 pm

By the time I would have bought the material and glue, I would have had as much in it as having the headliner guy do it, and his price included labor and installation.
Back to top Go down
piranah

PostSubject: Re: *****HEADLINER*****   *****HEADLINER***** Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 4:42 pm

Must be nice to have access to those prices. It would be $300 for somebody here.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: *****HEADLINER*****   *****HEADLINER***** Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 7:47 pm

Doing something MYSELF is more important to me than saving a few bucks to have someone else do it. I don't want or need anyone doing something that I am capable of doing.
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: *****HEADLINER*****   *****HEADLINER***** Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2014 7:55 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
By the time I would have bought the material and glue, I would have had as much in it as having the headliner guy do it, and his price included labor and installation.

you can have it done for less than 70 bucks?
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: *****HEADLINER*****   *****HEADLINER***** Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 3:36 am

I just spent the day removing what seemed like most of the interior plastic trim to ready my headliner to come out; what a PITA.

After I took all the pillar trim out, I jammed small spring clamps up near the tops to hold the headliner up temporarily.

I stopped by the place that will be recovering my headliner, and we pulled it out smoothly through the back window. Surprisingly no damage around vista window like I was expecting. I was also surprised to find no Velcro or magnets holding the main center area up (over the cargo area). Is this normal?

Now the real fun begins while the liner is being done ....Pulling all of the luggage rack assembly off to do a complete reseal! I have my new well nuts and a fresh tube of Urethane at the ready. All the Rivnuts look fine so I am crssing my fingers here.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: *****HEADLINER*****   *****HEADLINER***** Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 9:07 pm

i sprayed the roof inside of the black wagon with some rubberized roof sealant after i did the new well nuts ,.looked pretty good after it set up,.
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: *****HEADLINER*****   *****HEADLINER***** Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 11:28 pm

When I do mine this summer a good coat of flex seal they advertise on TV will do the trick.
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: *****HEADLINER*****   *****HEADLINER***** Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2014 1:04 pm

I did mine then put some sound absorber before putting the headliner back

*****HEADLINER***** 009-1_zpse0e1aa0f

*****HEADLINER***** 010_zps17146327
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: *****HEADLINER*****   *****HEADLINER***** Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2014 1:31 pm

Pat,is this the product sold by Lowes and Home Depot?Wondering how well this will hold up in the summer sun versus the brand name products.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: *****HEADLINER*****   *****HEADLINER***** Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2014 3:08 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Pat,is this the product sold by Lowes and Home Depot?Wondering how well this will hold up in the summer sun versus the brand name products.

It should hold up fairly well, it's designed as roof flashing for outdoor applications.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: *****HEADLINER*****   *****HEADLINER***** Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2014 6:09 pm

True, but gravity is a bitch. Outside on the roof, when it gets hot, it melts and seals; upside down, when it gets hot, it melts and falls off.
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: *****HEADLINER*****   *****HEADLINER***** Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2014 7:47 pm

I've not had any issues with it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: *****HEADLINER*****   *****HEADLINER***** Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2014 9:04 pm

Thinking that the headliner may hold the padding in place on the real hot days as long as you did a good job of reinstalling it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: *****HEADLINER*****   *****HEADLINER***** Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

*****HEADLINER*****
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GM Longroof Forum :: The Longroof Marketplace :: Wanted-
Jump to: