GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fender mounted turn indicators mod

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

Fender mounted turn indicators mod Empty
PostSubject: Fender mounted turn indicators mod   Fender mounted turn indicators mod Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 3:38 am

I dId thIs mod about a year ago, but just swItched from the orIgInal chrome style to body color.

Fender mounted turn indicators mod 6ef1edfe87a05efc8b9919a4fc46dacf
Fender mounted turn indicators mod 98ed753900c66d12d585959aa67772b2
Fender mounted turn indicators mod 6a16210b5a9819641394f2463d2b201f

These are the lowest/smallest profIle fender turn IndIcators I could fInd. They are Mopar from the early 70's and readily availiable on ebay used or reproduction.

These typIcally were mounted 3-9" from the front of the fender, but that was In the days of long fenders and squared off front ends. By the 90's, these started to creep up closer to the wIndshIeld so they could be seen by the drIver as car front ends went downward due to aerodynamIcs.

I mounted mIne at 15" from the front of the fender. These can be seen nIcely from the drIvers posItIon whIle drIvIng. There Is already holes in the side of the fender near the top so I enlarged the hole larger usIng a step drIll so I had some room to get In wIth a mInIature wrench (carburetor sIze wrench).

I drIlled the two holes on the top of the fender so the IndIcator could fIt down in and then just fastened it tight.
Fender mounted turn indicators mod D01d84ef1d6e0e33f9ad9c5698ee691c

MIne are the one-wIre versIon so I connected the wire to the turn sIgnal wIre and done! Ground Is made by the nut contactIng the body under the IndIcator. Some are avaIlable that are two wIre so you have to hook the second wIre to a ground.

I lIked them before, but now that they are body color, they are even better looking and blend in nicely and look factory! CadIllacs In the 90's had somethIng sImIlar to these (but fIber optIc and not very vIsIble) and the were mounted up even hIgher on the fenders (closer to the wIndshIeld).

To get them factory color, I sanded the chrome ones, etch prImed them and then sprayed them body color and then some clear coat.

To button It all up, I snapped In a grommet cover In the hole I enlarged In the fender.
Fender mounted turn indicators mod 793e9c7392e2069b5f62c75a0ea2e978

I have had a few InterestIng looks at them when at a stop lIght wIth the IndIcator flashIng as you don't really see these much anymore.

I thInk they are cool anyway and certaInly befIttIng a bIg beautIful BuIck!
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Fender mounted turn indicators mod   Fender mounted turn indicators mod Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 8:10 am

Looks factory,nice job.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Fender mounted turn indicators mod   Fender mounted turn indicators mod Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 11:04 am

I know it's too late, but Cadillac ones are lower.
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Fender mounted turn indicators mod   Fender mounted turn indicators mod Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 12:47 pm

Jayoldschool-

Yes, and they were the first ones I explored but they are fuber optic and not bright. They have fiber optic strands running to the turn signal housings and the headlights for high beam indication and one more. They have three indicator colors in them. I could not find a way to convert them to a single amber color and be lit by a bulb.

I do like the looks of the Caddy ones, just need to find someone that can mod them!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fender mounted turn indicators mod   Fender mounted turn indicators mod Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 8:17 pm

I like the fact that drivers beside you can now see that your signal is on,might make lane changes a little easier!Great idea Lance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fender mounted turn indicators mod   Fender mounted turn indicators mod Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fender mounted turn indicators mod
Page 1 of 1