GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ignition Problem?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

Ignition Problem? Empty
PostSubject: Ignition Problem?   Ignition Problem? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 12:23 pm

I've had a progressive problem that has now become a real problem....

It started when I removed the dash cover to install a radio. I tilted the steering wheel all the way down when it was back together started having issues removing the key. Sometimes you would have to go back to drive and then park to remove the key.

The car came back from the painter and the issue has become worse and now the trans selector will not go into park and the key will not come out but was able to remove the key leaving it in netural.

Has anyone experienced this or know where to look first? jeff
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Ignition Problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignition Problem?   Ignition Problem? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 3:04 pm

The key works a lever on the opposite side of the column. The lever is a cast part, and has been known to break. A friend of mine locally had the same issue recently, and just went to the junk yard and got another column. It was a lot easier and cheaper than trying to fix the original column. You can paint the column to match while it is out, if you can not find one the correct color. The 91 column does not have the push pedal to shift function, and the 92-93 columns do not have the VATS connector/system. The 94-96 columns should all work in any car. You would not hook up the VATS wire in the 91-93s, and you would not hook up the push brake to shift in the 91s.

The whole job should take less than 2 hours. Remove the column from your car, and take it with you to the junk yard, so that you do not have to pay the core charge, and it should not cost you more than $50.
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

Ignition Problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignition Problem?   Ignition Problem? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 4:20 pm

Thanks Fred,

I have Glenn's/Joel's wagon here after the fire the column may not be damaged and might be a good time to install a jeep steering shaft also. I'll look at the FSM for the details on the swap.
I was hoping this was not the problem I had the same issue with a F150 but it would not come out of park when the cast peice broke. Jeff
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

Ignition Problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignition Problem?   Ignition Problem? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2015 9:26 pm

Ok I have been nursing this problem for some time and it did not get any worse until last week. When picking up a rental car to head to Michigan parking the Roadie the ignition just spun in the column and the shift lever would not move into park and the car would not restart.
Fast forward the last two days have been trying to sort the problem and throw some parts at it..... with no luck it was not the lock cylinder and the cam lever looks intact. Its seems to be further into the column. Located a grey one from a 94 same as mine on Car-Part (thanks JaySS in another thread) and will go with Freds suggestion and just replace the column cost is about the same as the parts I bought. Jeff
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

Ignition Problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignition Problem?   Ignition Problem? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2015 10:01 pm

Anyone know the SEM Color to match 1994 tan interior?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Ignition Problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignition Problem?   Ignition Problem? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2015 12:29 am

I looked in the interior section and found: the SEM paint number code: CC# 2014-0079. They named it Saddle Tan I, not to be confused with Saddle Tan.

You can get it from Vinyl-pro at: http://www.vinylpro.com/. The cost of the paint is a bit on the high side, and shipping is not cheap either. It comes in a spray can to make it easy.
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

Ignition Problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignition Problem?   Ignition Problem? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2015 1:17 pm

Thanks Fred.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ignition Problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ignition Problem?   Ignition Problem? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ignition Problem?
Page 1 of 1