GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Cadet57

Cadet57

Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod Empty
PostSubject: Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod   Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod Icon_minitimeMon 26 May 2014 - 11:37

Thinking about swapping to a round 14" air cleaner. I know that you can use the 4.9 Caddy bolt to bolt it to the TB. But what do you do about the wire/plug that goes into the side of the airbox? On my car if I forget to plug it in, the CEL fires soon after. Any way to prevent that?
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod   Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod Icon_minitimeMon 26 May 2014 - 13:24

Thats the Intake Air Temp sensor. You need that. You can use a 1988 TPI Camaro IAT, drill a hole in the bottom of the air cleaner and thread it in. Or hit the junkyard and grab a sensor and fitting out of a TBI truck or 3rd gen Camaro. You'll need the rear bolts and center stud for the TBI anyhow.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod   Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod Icon_minitimeMon 26 May 2014 - 16:32

You can remove the AIC from the toaster, and insert it into the "new" air cleaner through a hole you drill in it on the TBI side of the filter (from the bottom). Not a big deal, but the computer requires the sensor. The clip is a PITA to remove from the AIC. You can use the original clip if undamaged, or you can use a circlip to hold it in the round air cleaner. It may be a little loose, so you may need a rubber, or foam "grommet" to take up the space.
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod   Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod Icon_minitimeMon 26 May 2014 - 18:12

As stated above, I drilled a hole on the underside of the new air cleaner for the sensor. I used a piece of all thread to make the lid hold-down stud.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod   Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod Icon_minitimeMon 26 May 2014 - 20:41

Simple modification Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Beware the "Warm Air" comments and such.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod   Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod Icon_minitimeMon 26 May 2014 - 21:40

I'm assuming that's the caddy stud?
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod   Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod Icon_minitimeMon 26 May 2014 - 22:01

Nope. It came with a pair of Chrome Valve Covers (The cheap SPECTRE ones) I bought at AutoZone. Finding it in the box is what lead me to buy an Air Cleaner, lol.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod   Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod Icon_minitimeMon 26 May 2014 - 22:32

Well would you look at that

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod   Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod Icon_minitimeTue 27 May 2014 - 3:51

GM made the studs in a variety of lengths. I got a few from the junk yard and picked the one that most suited the application for my cold air intake, and TBI mods for my 91 OCC. The one I chose came off of a Chevy pickup, and was noticeably longer than the one off of the Caddy.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod   Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod Icon_minitimeTue 27 May 2014 - 13:16

Cadet57 wrote:

Score. That is the stud I used.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod   Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod Icon_minitimeTue 27 May 2014 - 15:16

94Woody wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:

Score. That is the stud I used.

$3 well spent.  Cool 

So I'm guessing everything else the others mentioned? Drill/Tap for the air temp sensor, install and enjoy?
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod   Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod Icon_minitimeTue 27 May 2014 - 16:19

I tried fitting a open air cleaner to the Oldsmobile, and found it hit the coil before sitting all the way down. Your results might vary.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod   Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod Icon_minitimeTue 27 May 2014 - 19:49

Yes, I just drilled a hole in the bottom of the Air Cleaner for the sensor.

I used a low profile Air Cleaner that required a small spacer to clear the coil. They are usually available in a 3 pack for cheap.

Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod   Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod Icon_minitimeWed 9 Jul 2014 - 10:05

Going to bump this... Should I buy a dropped or raised cleaner?
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod   Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jul 2014 - 15:43

Raised air cleaner may not clear the cowl...but drop base will hit the coil/throttle cable bracket. I haven't experimented too much.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod   Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jul 2014 - 20:03

I used a dropped one to clear the cowl with a small spacer to clear the coil.
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod   Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jul 2014 - 21:47

I'll have to go back and see what part number I bought from Jegs. I too was concerned about cowl clearance. The base easily clears the throttle linkage but I did have to, ever so slightly, massage the underside of the cowl with a bush wacker.
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod   Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jul 2014 - 22:11

Here's what I have; standard base: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod   Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jul 2014 - 10:58

Hate to bump this again, but I just thought of another thing. What do you do about the vac hose that runs from the PS valve cover to the airbox? I see most air cleaners have a PCV knockout so that's taken care of.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod   Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jul 2014 - 16:12

I put a breather on mine.
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod   Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jul 2014 - 18:14

The Jegs air cleaner has a provision for it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod   Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jul 2014 - 18:22

Olds Weighty Eight wrote:
The Jegs air cleaner has a provision for it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Wouldn't that be where you run the PCV?

I'll have to see if the summit models have that. I don't shop with Jegs anymore.
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod   Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jul 2014 - 19:51

PCV goes from the driver side valve cover to the base of the throttle body and remains undisturbed. The passenger side vent goes to the air cleaner housing. The only mod to the new air cleaner base is to drill a hole for the temp sensor.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod   Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jul 2014 - 19:53

Olds Weighty Eight wrote:
PCV goes from the driver side valve cover to the base of the throttle body and remains undisturbed. The passenger side vent goes to the air cleaner housing. The only mod to the new air cleaner base is to drill a hole for the temp sensor.

Duh... What am I talking about.  Embarassed 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod   Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Single Stud TBI Air Cleaner Mod
Page 1 of 1