GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Camaro 305 Air Cleaner

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
smparr

smparr

Camaro 305 Air Cleaner Empty
PostSubject: Camaro 305 Air Cleaner   Camaro 305 Air Cleaner Icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2021 6:16 pm

Has anyone ever converted the ugly breadbox air cleaner assembly on our 305 wagons to the round air cleaner set up of the 1988-1991 Camaro RS/Firebird? I like the old style air cleaner more and was just wondering. My '91 OCC's boxy air cleaner has no style. I have a '90 OCC with a 307 air cleaner and they look very similar to the Camaro 305 TBI air cleaner.
Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

PostSubject: Re: Camaro 305 Air Cleaner   Camaro 305 Air Cleaner Icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2021 6:52 pm

I havn't really messed with too many of the wagons, but all my trucks have either been TBI like the 305 in the 91's or carbureted.

on my dually with it's 454 when I bought it someone had put an aftermarket open side air cleaner, I took the air cleaner from an old 1988 suburban with a 350 tbi and it fits perfectly so as long as the TBI is still the same diameter it should fit as this was taking a TBI air cleaner assembly and putting it on a rochestor quadra jet carb
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Camaro 305 Air Cleaner   Camaro 305 Air Cleaner Icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2021 9:40 am

The TBI has the same diameter air cleaner base as a 4 bbl carb. The 90 does not have the overhanging cowl, so if it is from a 4 bbl, it will fit on the TBI. If you are going to put it on the 91 it probably will not fit because of the cowl overhang. You can also rig a carb hat and cold air intake to just behind the headlight on the driver's side. I used a Spectre carb hat, same size aluminum tubes and silicone elbows with a cone filter. Do not use the Spectre short carb hat, because it will hit the injector tower. You must drill holes/ports for the PCV and IAT in the carb hat. Since you have a dual plane manifold, the tall carb hat will still fit under the stock hood.

If you use the short carb hat, you need the spacer from under the air cleaner of an early 90's Cadillac (I do not remember the model) and drill a hole for the PCV fitting in it. The short one complicates things, but has enough flow for a stock LO3/5. I moved the vac canister behind the driver's side bumper opposite where it is on the 94-96. I used the bracket for the 94-96, and extended the wires and hoses. Mount it far enough forward that it does not interfere with the wheelhouse extension. The cold air box is made from light sheet aluminum, and pop riveted where necessary.

The pic is of my 454. The 305/350 is similar.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
smparr

smparr

PostSubject: Re: Camaro 305 Air Cleaner   Camaro 305 Air Cleaner Icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2021 3:13 pm

I was really hoping the '90 air cleaner would fit on the '91. I just like the old fashioned look of the round air cleaner. The toaster/breadbox is just odd. My son's CC has the 307, I might just try attaching its air cleaner as a test. If it doesn't fit I'll probably just leave it alone.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Camaro 305 Air Cleaner   Camaro 305 Air Cleaner Icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2021 4:54 pm

Yes I have but I went the old school air cleaner route rather than anything stock GM.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Many years ago (I did this in 2009) you could get a pair of generic chrome valve covers off the shelf at any Auto Zone. They came with a fancy air cleaner stud that was curved to clear the TBI injectors perfectly. I was even able to keep the correct PCV plumbing on both sides. I used a drop down filter base and an adapter, both available off the shelf as well.

Lots of folks cried that I was wasting power by sucking in all that hot air. I just laughed because it was a 305 powered 92 Caprice with 200k on it that burned/leaked a couple quarts between changes. I wasn't looking for power but a replacement for the broken and ugly factory stuff.

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
smparr

smparr

PostSubject: Re: Camaro 305 Air Cleaner   Camaro 305 Air Cleaner Icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2021 10:10 pm

Can't blame a guy for trying but neither a 307 nor pre-91 305 air cleaner assembly will fit under my 91 OCC's cowl. The base will go on but then there's no way to put the lid on or get it off.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Camaro 305 Air Cleaner   Camaro 305 Air Cleaner Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2021 8:08 am

Here are pics of my 350 with the carb hat, and tubing.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

As you can see, the tall hat would fit just as well, and save hunting for the spacer.
Back to top Go down
1991BlueBertha

PostSubject: Re: Camaro 305 Air Cleaner   Camaro 305 Air Cleaner Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2022 11:54 am

94Woody wrote:
Yes I have but I went the old school air cleaner route rather than anything stock GM.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Many years ago (I did this in 2009) you could get a pair of generic chrome valve covers off the shelf at any Auto Zone. They came with a fancy air cleaner stud that was curved to clear the TBI injectors perfectly. I was even able to keep the correct PCV plumbing on both sides. I used a drop down filter base and an adapter, both available off the shelf as well.

Lots of folks cried that I was wasting power by sucking in all that hot air. I just laughed because it was a 305 powered 92 Caprice with 200k on it that burned/leaked a couple quarts between changes. I wasn't looking for power but a replacement for the broken and ugly factory stuff.

old thread, i know. Same set up as i have in my 68 cougar... open element... we arent getting any power out of these 305s anyway... might be going to AZ today to do some shopping and see what I can find... if you are still on this page, any photos of the base of it?
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Camaro 305 Air Cleaner   Camaro 305 Air Cleaner Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2022 12:50 pm

That is the only photo I have. The air cleaner was a generic one from off the shelf that had a drop base to better clear the cowl overhang. Had a small spacer under that to clear the injectors.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Camaro 305 Air Cleaner   Camaro 305 Air Cleaner Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Camaro 305 Air Cleaner
Page 1 of 1