GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Should I DIY manifold/downpipe gaskets or not

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
lamune

lamune

Should I DIY manifold/downpipe gaskets or not Empty
PostSubject: Should I DIY manifold/downpipe gaskets or not   Should I DIY manifold/downpipe gaskets or not Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 12:02 pm

This is probably a dumb question to ask, but anyway...

I have an exhaust leak somewhere on the drivers side. I understand manifold and flange gasket leaks are pretty common. I have on-hand a set of gaskets and a pair of spare exhaust manifolds. I have a decent selection of Sears hand tools and a few air tools. No lift, but I have ramps. Given how hard it is to access things on this motor and 20 years of being welded together, should I even bother attempting this in my home garage or should I just take it to a shop? (I'm just envisioning a snapped stud and a towing event!)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Should I DIY manifold/downpipe gaskets or not   Should I DIY manifold/downpipe gaskets or not Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 1:05 pm

As long as you treat the bolts to a overnight soaking with a quality rust removal spray you should be just find.Remember to be patient and apply pressure gently to break the bolts loose.If you have a impact gun with a good trigger that allows you to regulate the torque application,that will work too.I worked as a motorcycle mechanic way back in the 70s and your best tool was a hand impact that you
used with a hammer,those aluminum bolts would rust in place almost overnight.

PS:there is no such thing as a dumb question unless you DONT ask it!
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Should I DIY manifold/downpipe gaskets or not   Should I DIY manifold/downpipe gaskets or not Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 1:10 pm

Before you tear into you car, check the rear exhaust manifold bolts. They are notorious for breaking and when they do it sounds like an exhaust leak.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Should I DIY manifold/downpipe gaskets or not   Should I DIY manifold/downpipe gaskets or not Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 2:06 pm

If the shop breaks a stud/bolt, it is going to get expensive fast. Like Tom said, check the rear bolts. If they are broken, that is your exhaust leak, and it is going to be a PITA to fix. The manifolds are known to crack as well. WD 40, CRC, or any equivalent on the bolts at the base where it goes into the block will help. Sometimes tightening them a tiny bit helps break the bolts free (without breaking the bolts). Start in the back, so if you do break one, you can still drive it to a shop. Use grade 8 bolts to reassemble the manifold to the head.
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: Should I DIY manifold/downpipe gaskets or not   Should I DIY manifold/downpipe gaskets or not Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 2:07 pm

Ok, thanks for the suggestions. What about the bolts that hold the flanges together? Those look even nastier than the manifold ones. Any different techniques to try there?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Should I DIY manifold/downpipe gaskets or not   Should I DIY manifold/downpipe gaskets or not Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 5:28 pm

The flange bolts areĀ  usually easier to get off than the manifold bolts. You have more room to work.
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: Should I DIY manifold/downpipe gaskets or not   Should I DIY manifold/downpipe gaskets or not Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2014 11:02 pm

You guys may find this amusing. While attempting to diagnose an unrelated issue, I fired up the car stone cold with the hood up, and I heard the leak. I put my hand back by the firewall on the driver's side where the back bolt is, and sure enough that's where it's coming from. Shut the car off and got a wrench on it, and it turned really easily. I figured it was probably snapped off- but I kept and it and it eventually bottomed out. Tightened it up and no more leak!

I guess worrying about bolts being on too tight wasn't the problem. Turns out they're too loose.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Should I DIY manifold/downpipe gaskets or not   Should I DIY manifold/downpipe gaskets or not Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 12:22 pm

AWESOME!
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: Should I DIY manifold/downpipe gaskets or not   Should I DIY manifold/downpipe gaskets or not Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 10:04 pm

Update- I got the exhaust manifolds off without too much difficulty. On the passenger side I ended up sawing off the EGR pipe and all the studs snapped off the flange. (one was already broken, hence the exhaust leak)

I've tried heating the studs with a propane torch, applying candle wax and trying to wrench them off with no success. I'm guessing that maybe the propane just isn't hot enough, or I'm just doing it wrong. Thankfully I can get a new manifold for less than $50, but the stupid AIR hose fitting/adapter thing simply will not budge. The pipe itself can be moved, but the fitting just wants to round itself off even when using a flare wrench.

Also, thankfully, with use of an impact wrench the driver's side manifold flange nuts came off with no issues.

Do I just need more heat to get the other manifold fixed?
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Should I DIY manifold/downpipe gaskets or not   Should I DIY manifold/downpipe gaskets or not Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 6:55 am

Dunno if you need emissions where you live, but why not buy a pair of headers and get some better sound and power. Gets rid of all that AIR pump crap too.
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: Should I DIY manifold/downpipe gaskets or not   Should I DIY manifold/downpipe gaskets or not Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 3:05 pm

Hah, yeah can't do that until the car turns 30 and they don't care about emissions anymore. I've got a stud puller on the way.
Back to top Go down
jammy75

PostSubject: Re: Should I DIY manifold/downpipe gaskets or not   Should I DIY manifold/downpipe gaskets or not Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 8:24 pm

awesome write up, i have the same issue i am hoping it is just the donut gasket . but thanks for the insight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should I DIY manifold/downpipe gaskets or not   Should I DIY manifold/downpipe gaskets or not Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Should I DIY manifold/downpipe gaskets or not
Page 1 of 1