GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions??

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions?? Empty
PostSubject: Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions??   Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 1:29 pm

I'm not a big fan of carpet dash covers, but have them on the Denali because in typical 99-06 GM truck fashion the finish was starting to peel on the edges, and on our '98 Ram because like almost ALL 90's Rams, it's hard plastic dash is cracked in several places.

Well I now think I want one for the '96 Roady, but want the best-looking and closest-color-matched one possible.   Any suggestions???

Rich kept the car in a climate-controlled garage the past two years, and it never saw sun or rain, but I think the storage "dried out" the interior a bit, especially the upper dash.   He cared for the car, but never treated the leather or put anything on the dash.    It has no cracks in the dash, but it almost looked pink on the uppper dash when I got the car back last week.  

I tried Armour All wipes first...which looked good for almost two minutes, then Extra Shine Armour All in a bottle, spayed on and wiped off....which looked good for about 5-mins.     Next I tried some slimey oily stuff made by Purple Power that smells like old tires...the guy at the parts store reccomended it.    Told me to rub it on by hand, which I did, and was nasty...      It lasted almost all morning yesterday, but driving home after the cruise-in, the dash began to look splotchy again with the direct sun heating it up....dry and faded in some spots, shiny and dark ruby red in others.    

I put another coat of that Purple Power on it last night...thick this time, and let it sit all night.    Wiped it down before work to even it out some, but just now at lunch, after sitting in the cool garage all morning, it's splotchy again.   DANG!

I am not going to hand-rub clear slime on the upper dashboard daily...  The rest of the interior looks fantastic...     SO I'm thinking a dash cover....

Ideas?   Suggestions?

Such fun!

-Mike

Last edited by 81X11 on Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions??   Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 2:02 pm

I've run into two cracks on my dash cover as well. I was planning on simply laying up some fiberglass cloth from underneath, to stenghten the backing board from cracking further. Then recover it with as close to a match to the fabric in the car that I can find. I am lucky to have a commercial foam and upholstery place around the corner. They've been wonderful to supply info and materials to me over the years for many projects around the house, kitchen , dining room chairs and cars alike.

Be on the lookout for similar suppliers for patio furniture, boat seats, canvas, furniture and auto upholstering etc.. You might even strike it lucky with a big box fabric store, but I tend to work with the local family shops whenever I can.

Best of luck. Keep us posted on your findings.

dave
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions??   Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 3:04 pm

For now I just want good cover, like a Coverlay or Dashmat brand. Was hoping someone had one they really liked...that sits well.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions??   Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 3:43 pm

Dash cover you say?!?!?!

You are speaking my language!!! Smile

Coverking makes the best fitting ones in my opinion. Now, for a Roady...you can get away with any brand really since the dash is flat. (Same with Fleetwood)

I would only buy a Coverking for a Caprice by the way (I've tried others and they suck).

Chris

Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions??   Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 3:56 pm

Thanks Chris!!
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions??   Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 4:02 pm

81X11 wrote:
Thanks Chris!!

Mike, if you PM me your address....I will give you the one I had made for my RMW (it's for Ruby Red interior)

I went to a black cover since people were being vocal about the look...(see my avitar) LOL

Yours if you want it (it's a nice one)

Chris

Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions??   Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 5:23 pm

I wouldn't use any of those products on your dash pad. I've been using Prestine clean from my Leatherique kit to maintain my perfect Olds dashpad, keeps it nice and shiny for a few weeks before the dash accumulates dust and I have to wipe it down again.

Of course I'm not a detailing expert but I'm sure the experts will chime in with a better suggestion.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions??   Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 5:41 pm

brokecello wrote:
81X11 wrote:
Thanks Chris!!

Mike, if you PM me your address....I will give you the one I had made for my RMW (it's for Ruby Red interior)  

I went to a black cover since people were being vocal about the look...(see my avitar)  LOL

Yours if you want it (it's a nice one)  

Chris

THANK YOU CHRIS!

That's why I love this forum! Most wagon folks are pretty good folks anyway. Wink

I'll owe you one for sure!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions??   Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 5:43 pm

MalibuSSwagon wrote:
I wouldn't use any of those products on your dash pad. I've been using Prestine clean from my Leatherique kit to maintain my perfect Olds dashpad, keeps it nice and shiny for a few weeks before the dash accumulates dust and I have to wipe it down again.

Of course I'm not a detailing expert but I'm sure the experts will chime in with a better suggestion.

I might try that, but for now I'll just cover it. It's Texas, and the dash has no cracks, so a cover is a good idea regardless.

I'm keeping this Roady FOREVER. Ha!

-Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions??   Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions?? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 12:05 am

FOREVER is a long time Mike and I hope I am around to see it!Almost as happy as you are about getting it back home finally.Congrats on the matching dash cover.I used Surf City garages "Voodoo"
leather rejuvenator on my dash and it works great.Really cleaned all the old junk off and left a nonreflective glaze with a fantastic rich leather aroma.Got it at Pep Boys I think and the only negative is the rich aroma in the bottle has turned nasty even after shaking it for about 10 minutes.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions??   Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions?? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 11:30 am

Thanks Jim. I'm really glad to have the car back.

For now I'm going to use the dash cover and stop worrying about it. Will treat it once more before installing the cover.

Projects!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions??   Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 10:24 am

Dash Cover came in.   THANK YOU CHRIS!    It's a great color match and is laying down nicely after a day in the sun this weekend. This is such a great forum with such good people!

Was a CRAPPY weekend but this new item and Top Notch were the only two bright points.   Thank you again!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions??   Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 11:08 am

BOOM! Swanky! Smile

I love dash mats...and very glad you could use that one!

Chris
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions??   Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 12:05 pm

WHERE ARE THE PICS MIKE?
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions??   Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2014 12:49 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
WHERE ARE THE PICS MIKE?

It needs to settle a few more days....  Cool 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions??   Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dash Cover/Mat Suggestions??
Page 1 of 1