GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

OCC blue dash cover question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
1991BlueBertha

OCC blue dash cover question Empty
PostSubject: OCC blue dash cover question   OCC blue dash cover question Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2022 12:47 pm

With the cost of the few OE dash pads that are out there and available being so sky high, a dash cover makes much more sense to me on this car. Currently, there's a vinyl cover that the upholstery people made for it when they redid the seats. Color is spot on, of course, but the vinyl is thin and doesn't lay flat...it wrinkles and is reflective into the windshield.... as much as I don't care for them, i think the best course of action for now is a traditional carpet dash pad... some sites i see say medium blue is the only option and some say navy... depending on brand.

So I will ask the experts: What brand is the best fitting, lays the flattest, and for those of ya'll with blue that have them, what color matches the best... photos would be even more helpful.

Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

PostSubject: Re: OCC blue dash cover question   OCC blue dash cover question Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2022 1:12 pm

OCC blue dash cover question 20220410
OCC blue dash cover question 20220411
here's images of one I got through Rockauto, the only problem is that despite covering the dash the dash does appear to still be bleaching underneath it, also you have to attach velcro tabs to the dash to hold the cover on.

found the original order confirmation email, it's dash designs dark blue but not sure if the interior blue stayed the same through all the years as this is in my 94 buick
Back to top Go down
1991BlueBertha

PostSubject: Re: OCC blue dash cover question   OCC blue dash cover question Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2022 1:40 pm

thanks! im not worried about using velcro or the dash fading... im covering the stock dash because its got two splits in it at the defroster vent... rest of it is in perfect shape, but those two splits are bad. so i'll get one similar to yours and cover it up and it'll look fine. thanks for the pic and info!
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: OCC blue dash cover question   OCC blue dash cover question Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2022 3:11 pm

Can't say about the OCC dash cover, but I got a Dash Designs on for the 96 RMW and it fit terrible and wasn't even bound on the flap for passenger bag or the edge along the windshield. The curve didn't fit the windshield either and the corner was square instead of rounded so wouldn't go tight to the windshield. Horrible fit. They did refund me though.

Then I got a Covercraft the fit very well and is fully bound, but even though it was supposed to be charcoal suede it has lots of reflections because of white fibers woven into it. As bad as the blue shiny carpet one I wanted to replace. They would not take it back for any reason.
Back to top Go down
1991BlueBertha

PostSubject: Re: OCC blue dash cover question   OCC blue dash cover question Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2022 8:51 pm

booster wrote:
Can't say about the OCC dash cover, but I got a Dash Designs on for the 96 RMW and it fit terrible and wasn't even bound on the flap for passenger bag or the edge along the windshield.  The curve didn't fit the windshield either and the corner was square instead of rounded so wouldn't go tight to the windshield.  Horrible fit.  They did refund me though.

Then I got a Covercraft the fit very well and is fully bound, but even though it was supposed to be charcoal suede it has lots of reflections because of white fibers woven into it.  As bad as the blue shiny carpet one I wanted to replace.  They would not take it back for any reason.

Hmmm/ well chit.

I ordered a dash designs one similar to the photo above. Guess i'll wait for it and see how it fits.
Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

PostSubject: Re: OCC blue dash cover question   OCC blue dash cover question Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2022 10:17 pm

I ordered mine about two years ago mine fits nicely and all the edges are trimmed, even the hole for the dash vent, and I've never had a problem with glare or reflection of any kind, though I think the 94 dash top is different then a 91 would be. the only thing that I wasn't really happy about is that the Velcro tabs are meant to cling to the backside of the cover so while they hold good enough to keep the cover in place on mine if you pull on it you can easily pull it off the velcro.

1991BlueBertha likes this post

Back to top Go down
1991BlueBertha

PostSubject: Re: OCC blue dash cover question   OCC blue dash cover question Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2022 10:35 pm

I dont have a pass air bag so it should just be an easy flat piece of carpet lol. Will see once it gets here
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: OCC blue dash cover question   OCC blue dash cover question Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2022 6:49 am

goldwolfnhn wrote:
I ordered mine about two years ago mine fits nicely and all the edges are trimmed, even the hole for the dash vent, and I've never had a problem with glare or reflection of any kind, though I think the 94 dash top is different then a 91 would be. the only thing that I wasn't really happy about is that the Velcro tabs are meant to cling to the backside of the cover so while they hold good enough to keep the cover in place on mine if you pull on it you can easily pull it off the velcro.

The Dash Designs blue cover you show in the previous post looks nearly exactly the same as the much old Dash Cover brand that was on my 96 RMW when I got it. Same bindings around every edge. Dash Designs bought out Dash Cover some time ago, so yours probably was made by Dash Cover before the two were completely integrated into one building with nearly all the the Dash Cover overlap eliminated. The Dash Designs suede one I got was very cheaply made and fit very poorly with only the front edge bound.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: OCC blue dash cover question   OCC blue dash cover question Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2022 9:13 am

You could get a piece of outdoor/boat carpet, or seat vinyl the color you want, make a cardboard template, cut it to shape, and get someone who can sew to put a border around it. You could even make a piece of padding to go under it, and have them sewn together before putting the border around it. Velcro is available in strips with or without glue on the back side.
Back to top Go down
1991BlueBertha

PostSubject: Re: OCC blue dash cover question   OCC blue dash cover question Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2022 2:11 pm

Dont order from autoanything. I ordered on the 7th and they still havent shippped it so I cancelled the order today. This is 2022. You dont take days to ship anything. no one does. So, i'll be shopping again for one....
Back to top Go down
1991BlueBertha

PostSubject: Re: OCC blue dash cover question   OCC blue dash cover question Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2022 4:57 pm

another update. I got a confirmation from autoanything that dash designs discontinued that item and the cover is no longer available. If i find another manufacturer that makes one and is wanting to sell a product, i'll post that information here
Back to top Go down
1991BlueBertha

PostSubject: Re: OCC blue dash cover question   OCC blue dash cover question Icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2022 2:17 pm

I'm really thinking a dash cover shouldn't be that hard of a thing to get in a timely manner. After the failed attempt with Dash Designs saying it was discontinued, I ordered one from CoverCraft... Figured ordering from a well known, established company, would be better than some no name online. I ordered it long ago and it keeps saying estimated ship date of 10th.... they've already emailed to say they charged the card.... I emailed to ask for an update since today's the 10th, and now they say its showing an estimated ship date of the 17th... but it may be earlier or later, they don't know. This is 2022... how can anyone not know when an Item is shipped? I imagine i'll be farting around waiting on this one too and it'll be cancelled...

Anyone have any recent purchases with dash covers that would be a reliable source to get one from in a timely manner?

Back to top Go down
1991BlueBertha

PostSubject: Re: OCC blue dash cover question   OCC blue dash cover question Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2022 8:36 pm

Finally. Cover craft shipped it to me. Took almost a month but I got it. And it fits great and I guessed at a decent color that works well. I was going to post pics but this sites rinky dink ability to post pictures makes it not worth it
Back to top Go down
1991BlueBertha

PostSubject: Re: OCC blue dash cover question   OCC blue dash cover question Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2022 8:37 pm

OCC blue dash cover question 26eeff10
Back to top Go down
1991BlueBertha

PostSubject: Re: OCC blue dash cover question   OCC blue dash cover question Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2022 8:38 pm

OCC blue dash cover question 758fc810
OCC blue dash cover question Ea426e10

Buickman1 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OCC blue dash cover question   OCC blue dash cover question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

OCC blue dash cover question
Page 1 of 1