GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Getting dings out of the stainless side trim on a Roadmaster wagon

Go down 
+3
jayoldschool
81X11
Mark 96 Roady
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mark 96 Roady

Getting dings out of the stainless side trim on a Roadmaster wagon Empty
PostSubject: Getting dings out of the stainless side trim on a Roadmaster wagon   Getting dings out of the stainless side trim on a Roadmaster wagon Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 4:03 pm

Has anyone seen any how to's, videos, or other info on how to straighten minor damage to the side trim? I have a few small annoying dings and was wondering how to fix it.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Getting dings out of the stainless side trim on a Roadmaster wagon   Getting dings out of the stainless side trim on a Roadmaster wagon Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 4:08 pm

x2!
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Getting dings out of the stainless side trim on a Roadmaster wagon   Getting dings out of the stainless side trim on a Roadmaster wagon Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 4:37 pm

Trim hammers, dollys, files, a few different grits of sandpaper on a D/A, then polishing on a wheel with compound. Trim hammers are like body hammers, but smaller and pointier. Pound out the dent, file flat, sandpaper smooth, then polish.

http://www.hotrod.com/howto/3401_stainless_trim_repair/

Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Getting dings out of the stainless side trim on a Roadmaster wagon   Getting dings out of the stainless side trim on a Roadmaster wagon Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 6:44 pm

Bookmarked that link. Nice article.
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Getting dings out of the stainless side trim on a Roadmaster wagon   Getting dings out of the stainless side trim on a Roadmaster wagon Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 10:08 pm

To shine your moldings after you remove the dings without compounds, here is what I do, using a red scotch brite and a 3000 grit piece of sandpaper. I have done plenty stainless repair in my life but that has faded due to less stainless on cars.

Getting dings out of the stainless side trim on a Roadmaster wagon 008-8

Getting dings out of the stainless side trim on a Roadmaster wagon 018

Getting dings out of the stainless side trim on a Roadmaster wagon 024

Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Getting dings out of the stainless side trim on a Roadmaster wagon   Getting dings out of the stainless side trim on a Roadmaster wagon Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2014 8:54 am

Just the 3000 grit (after the scuff pad) brings back the shine? On my computer the stainless looks more like a matte finish than shiny. Is that just the photo? Thanks for the tip.
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Getting dings out of the stainless side trim on a Roadmaster wagon   Getting dings out of the stainless side trim on a Roadmaster wagon Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2014 11:15 am

Yes trust me it shines. I do this all the time with stainless on my roadmaster.
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Getting dings out of the stainless side trim on a Roadmaster wagon   Getting dings out of the stainless side trim on a Roadmaster wagon Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2014 10:33 pm

Is there a way to tell stainless from chrome? I ask because my 78 Coupe De Ville has some thin trim around the window and upper door opening. I have been hesitant to try anything for fear of ruining trim I would have a hard time replacing. If it helps, the trim seems to be a little cloudy, and the metal is very thin. I'm thinking it is stainless, but not really sure.
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Getting dings out of the stainless side trim on a Roadmaster wagon   Getting dings out of the stainless side trim on a Roadmaster wagon Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 12:07 am

I do believe that stuff is aluminum with some type of coating it. I have a 78 caprice with the same type of molding material. I have plans to bring it back to life but not right off. It entails some paint work.
Back to top Go down
Dos Vagones

Dos Vagones

PostSubject: Re: Getting dings out of the stainless side trim on a Roadmaster wagon   Getting dings out of the stainless side trim on a Roadmaster wagon Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2014 6:37 pm

I must've got ripped-off because the trim on my RMW is thin aluminum, not ss.

Really, did any of these wagons come with stainless trim installed? If so I would love to have a set of that.

I have been pulling and stripping the trim and it bends very easily - the front spear is really tough to play with due to the plastic pins / bushings.

Looks so much better than "decaying" wood though, its worth the effort.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Getting dings out of the stainless side trim on a Roadmaster wagon   Getting dings out of the stainless side trim on a Roadmaster wagon Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2014 8:00 pm

The trim on the "wooded" cars is aluminum. The big fat trim with the rubber on the Belt line is stainless.
Back to top Go down
Dos Vagones

Dos Vagones

PostSubject: Re: Getting dings out of the stainless side trim on a Roadmaster wagon   Getting dings out of the stainless side trim on a Roadmaster wagon Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 11:09 pm

Superior Finish wrote:
The trim on the "wooded" cars is aluminum. The big fat trim with the rubber on the Belt line is stainless.

You're right. I have been fighting the wood surround trim and forgot about the wide trim with the rubber bumper.

I fought that a long trim ago.

Wood surround trim is really fragile, bends real easy when you dont want it to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting dings out of the stainless side trim on a Roadmaster wagon   Getting dings out of the stainless side trim on a Roadmaster wagon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Getting dings out of the stainless side trim on a Roadmaster wagon
Page 1 of 1