GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear side door window issues

Go down 
+3
81X11
silverfox103
lakeffect
7 posters
AuthorMessage
lakeffect

lakeffect

Rear side door window issues Empty
PostSubject: Rear side door window issues   Rear side door window issues Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2014 10:04 am

I'm sure some of you guys have dealt with this before.

The rear side windows go down OK, but they don't come up straight. They come up lopsided, uneven, they twist and jam up.
The motors are obviously functioning. So what parts do I need to correct this.

Any links to parts would be most appreciated.

Dave
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Rear side door window issues   Rear side door window issues Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2014 12:47 pm

Dave

You need to replace the rollers, relatively easy job. There are plenty of write ups. I always purchased the rollers at a GM garage; but you can get them other places. I'm sure guys will pop in with the info.

I'll look to see if I can find the part #.

Tom
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Rear side door window issues   Rear side door window issues Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2014 1:18 pm

https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t7130-92-occ-power-window-motor-fun?highlight=window+sliders

Lots of posts on this but mine is above. I have part numbers and pics of the parts. Not a hard job, just takes some time.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: Rear side door window issues   Rear side door window issues Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2014 1:35 pm

I just did mine last weekend and still have the inside door panels off if you need photos. I bought my new track rollers from the local GM dealer they told me the list was $8.95 each (highway robbery) but I agreed to buy the 6 they had for $7.00 each (a $2 part).

I needed to replace all three inside the door and would recommend you do so even if only one is broken. There are two that run in the window channel on the end of the regulator arms these face away from you. And another on a removable channel that bolts to the inner door and the regulator arm faces you.

Remove the bolt on channel (10mm) and replace this last because you need to put your arm through the hole for the window channel rollers.

I used the 2" C clamp method for pressing on the new nylon rollers they take a lot of pressing before they snap in place I ruined the tensioning screw arm of the C clamp on the upper right roller in my Roadmaster the hole for access didn't allow the C clamp to sit straight on.

When you do the roller for the removable channel bolt it back in position loosley and then use the C clamp after you are done align and tighten the two bolts.  

Mine had been done before (with old style plastic rollers) so I didn't have to bend the end of channel tabs to get the new rollers in grease the channels and you are done.

My Roadmaster had a screw in the lower door panel hidden in the carpet covering not sure if the Caprice is the same otherwise the inner door panel removes easily. Jeff
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Rear side door window issues   Rear side door window issues Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2014 2:11 pm

weld a plate over the windows,. sedan delivery's look cool,..
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Rear side door window issues   Rear side door window issues Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2014 7:34 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
weld a plate over the windows,. sedan delivery's look cool,..

Sedan delivery.... Hmmm

Mike, found your write with pics of the parts. I went over to PEP Boys after I got out of work . They had one roller, got a few more on order, and grabbed the other parts that were pictured as well. Thanks for the link Bro.

Dave
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Rear side door window issues   Rear side door window issues Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 1:33 am

That's what this forum is for. Good luck with your repairs!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Rear side door window issues   Rear side door window issues Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 1:43 am

Make sure you have some C-clamps or even vice-grips to install the sliders. It's not hard with C-clamps if you can get the right access. I had to use vice-grips on my rear door...

Also make sure you pack the slider rail with grease...I use white lithium but I'm sure others will chime in with their favorite slime....

Again good luck!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Rear side door window issues   Rear side door window issues Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 8:32 am

Dave,

If you are not in a hurry send me your address and I will send you 4 rollers (I think the rear one on each window is what breaks). I bought them (aftermarket) in bulk and will NEVER use the whole pack.

Tim
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Rear side door window issues   Rear side door window issues Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 8:45 am

Thanks Tim, PM is on the way.
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: Rear side door window issues   Rear side door window issues Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 5:31 pm

81X11 wrote:
https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t7130-92-occ-power-window-motor-fun?highlight=window+sliders

. . .  Not a hard job, just takes some time.

-Mike

Yeah right not a hard job if you've got smallish hands LOL. It was a real PITA for me and my big ol hands. Use the C-clamp method if you can, I eventually had to go with a small pair of vice grips to get the job done on the rears. Made me want to remove the whole window channel just to keep from cutting myself. Wheres the cutting torch?
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Rear side door window issues   Rear side door window issues Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2014 5:33 pm

I appreciate all the input guys.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear side door window issues   Rear side door window issues Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear side door window issues
Page 1 of 1