GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear door window question??

Go down 
+6
mp775
mtrhead79
jimbeau
silverfox103
92cappy
COL
10 posters
AuthorMessage
COL

COL

Rear door window question?? Empty
PostSubject: Rear door window question??   Rear door window question?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 12:07 am

I have heard the rear door windows are problematic. Mine only go partway down. Is that correct or should they (hopefully) go all the way. When I put the drivers side up it clicks or rachettes at the top. The passenger side goes up fine and stops at the top as normal.

Suggestions welcome. Thanks.
Dick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear door window question??   Rear door window question?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 12:09 am

Nope, the rears do only go halfway down.

Sad
Back to top Go down
92cappy

92cappy

PostSubject: Re: Rear door window question??   Rear door window question?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 12:10 am

The rear windows only go down about 1/2 way. This was supposedly a child safety feature to keep kids from falling/jumping out of the window. Dad's 94 Cutlass had the same deal.
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: Rear door window question??   Rear door window question?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 9:47 am

92cappy wrote:
The rear windows only go down about 1/2 way. This was supposedly a child safety feature to keep kids from falling/jumping out of the window. Dad's 94 Cutlass had the same deal.

Thanks. Kind of a bummer though. GM assummed everyone who bought these had a car full if kids and not a bunch of collectors 20 years later.

How about the clicking noise in the drivers rear when it reached the top?? Does not sound good and it leading me to believe something is going to break.
Dick study
Back to top Go down
92cappy

92cappy

PostSubject: Re: Rear door window question??   Rear door window question?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 10:18 am

COL wrote:
Thanks. Kind of a bummer though. GM assummed everyone who bought these had a car full if kids and not a bunch of collectors 20 years later.

How about the clicking noise in the drivers rear when it reached the top?? Does not sound good and it leading me to believe something is going to break.
Dick study

Yea, it is a bit annoying, but I usually leave my back windows up anyways (so the cops don't realize it isn't factory tint Surprised )

Does the driver's rear window still go up normally (minus the noise)? i.e., does it slow down when it reaches the top, wiggle around at all? It could be a number of things. I would take off the door panel and roll the window up, watching the regulator and listening for where the noise comes from.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Rear door window question??   Rear door window question?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 10:20 am

COL wrote:

Dick study

Dick, the noise you hear, may mean it is broke already. Not 100% sure, but it is likely to be the nylon roller / bushing that commonly breaks. Easy to repair.

tom
Back to top Go down
92cappy

92cappy

PostSubject: Re: Rear door window question??   Rear door window question?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 10:22 am

silverfox103 wrote:
it is likely to be the nylon roller / bushing that commonly breaks. Easy to repair.

tom

That's what I'm thinking, but it could also be the regulator slipping as the window gets to the top. Let's hope it's just the the sliders.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Rear door window question??   Rear door window question?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 2:48 pm

Either way, he's got some work to do.

92cappy wrote:
.... This was supposedly a child safety feature to keep kids from falling/jumping out of the window...
haha... If they said that in their literature, it was only a pretty sharp way of putting a positive spin on a design limitation.
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: Rear door window question??   Rear door window question?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 3:06 pm

Thanks all,
Who has some slider rollers? How many are in there? Door panel hard to get off/on?
I have the windows up most of the time but like to open as much as I can when the girls (dogs) are in the car parked.

Many four door cars are limited by design to half way windows. That is what I thought by the shape of the door.
Dick
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Rear door window question??   Rear door window question?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 3:10 pm

there are 2 per door i got mine from RMS they have a kit that gives you 2 rollers and new plastic clips for the door panels. as far as the rear window only going 1\2 way down i thought that on the wagons there is not enough room in the door for it to go all the way down because how the wheel well opening gos into the door
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
92cappy

92cappy

PostSubject: Re: Rear door window question??   Rear door window question?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 3:12 pm

There are 2 sliders in the track of the window regulator. They are very easy to break. They make replacement "rollers" which are of an improved design. Your local parts store should have it (even if they tell you they don't, insist they search for it! I had a lady at Napa who told me they only sold full regulators and that I would have to buy a new regulator if I wanted the clips. She refused to search it for me, so I went online and printed out the part number and came back).

The door panel is relatively easy to get off, although I'm not sure how the OCC Panels differ from the Cappy panels, there should be two screws behind the "grab handle" area, a screw behind the door handle, a screw in the pocket of the door panel, and if there is an armrest, the two screws inside there. The rest is held on by "christmas tree" pins that pop out with a panel removal tool (also found at your local parts store)
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: Rear door window question??   Rear door window question?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 3:17 pm

mtrhead79 wrote:
there are 2 per door i got mine from RMS they have a kit that gives you 2 rollers and new plastic clips for the door panels. as far as the rear window only going 1\2 way down i thought that on the wagons there is not enough room in the door for it to go all the way down because how the wheel well opening gos into the door
Thanks. I'll take a look in there and order up som rollers. your right on the door. If I would have looked closer I would have seen that. GM figured a way on my old 58 Cadillac to have the rear window go down all the way. It had a wing window on the rear end of the door.
Rear door window question?? 100_0056
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Rear door window question??   Rear door window question?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 3:19 pm

There are three sliders per door.

Rear door window question?? Hiddensliderpi0

I just saw your pic. You must own a BIG shovel...

Last edited by jimbeau on Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Rear door window question??   Rear door window question?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 3:19 pm

if you need part # from RMS i can look at my receipt for you
Back to top Go down
mp775

PostSubject: Re: Rear door window question??   Rear door window question?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 3:58 pm

I got mine at Pep Boys in the Dorman HELP! section. Part #259201. The GM part # is 9666748.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear door window question??   Rear door window question?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 9:03 pm

When you take the door panel off, there are two catches on the top edge. After removing all 6 screws, and popping all of the trees, if you give the panel a sharp rap with your hand in an upward motion at the rear top, and then at the front top, it will pop them out, and the panel will come off.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear door window question??   Rear door window question?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 9:14 pm

COL wrote:
mtrhead79 wrote:
Thanks. I'll take a look in there and order up som rollers. your right on the door. If I would have looked closer I would have seen that. GM figured a way on my old 58 Cadillac to have the rear window go down all the way. It had a wing window on the rear end of the door.
Rear door window question?? 100_0056
I love this picture,looks like the one the ground is saying to your wife "I wanted to sit by a window momma"
Those are some beautiful children you have there!
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: Rear door window question??   Rear door window question?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 10:07 pm

Jim,
Only one of the Danes is ours. She is the gray and black. The white and black one inside and the black one were visiting. When I opend the door all three jumped in then only one would come out.

dick
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Rear door window question??   Rear door window question?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 10:52 pm

i pulled my receipt does not have part # but says window repair kit (with door clips) was $13.25 at www.RMSAUTOPARTS.COM
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: Rear door window question??   Rear door window question?? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 11:28 pm

mtrhead79 wrote:
i pulled my receipt does not have part # but says window repair kit (with door clips) was $13.25 at www.RMSAUTOPARTS.COM
Thanks John.
Back to top Go down
KDCubes

PostSubject: Re: Rear door window question??   Rear door window question?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2021 4:29 pm

I think the reason the windows go only halfway down is that they are trapezoid shaped. Some other cars have a false vent in order to create a rectangular window. The one piece window in the Roadmaster creates a panoramic view out of our cars and means the bottom edge is too long to fit in the door. A reasonable sacrifice given they are climate controlled.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Rear door window question??   Rear door window question?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2021 5:40 pm

Open the door and look at the actual shape, not the outside skin. There is no place into which the window can retract fully.

94Woody likes this post

Back to top Go down
KDCubes

PostSubject: Re: Rear door window question??   Rear door window question?? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2021 6:10 pm

Yep
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Rear door window question??   Rear door window question?? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2021 11:24 pm

Exactly, the window doesn't go all the way down because it is not possible to do so.

Member over at ISSF made a Buick Sedan rear window fit in his wagon door but it just doesn't look right to me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear door window question??   Rear door window question?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear door window question??
Page 1 of 1