GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

no temp gauge in 94 FWB wagon. Any suggestions?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DUKTAPEKID

no temp gauge in 94 FWB wagon. Any suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: no temp gauge in 94 FWB wagon. Any suggestions?   no temp gauge in 94 FWB wagon. Any suggestions? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2014 1:25 pm

I have a 94 FWB long LONG roof wagon (hearse) with no temp gauge. Anybody got an easy suggestion to install some kind of temp gauge under the dash so I'll have SOME idea of the temp I'm running especially when towing cars on my dolly. I use it as a daily driver and a shop truck. It's got 3/4 ton truck rear end w/ 3.73 gears, probably weighs around 6k lbs. ( commercial chassis ) and is super easy on fuel with the LT1. Thanks for any help, Billy
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: no temp gauge in 94 FWB wagon. Any suggestions?   no temp gauge in 94 FWB wagon. Any suggestions? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2014 7:48 pm

There are some pillar mounts for gauges. It mounts in place of the A pillar. I do not know if they are available new, but you can sometimes find them on the ISSF, in the parts for sale/wanted section.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: no temp gauge in 94 FWB wagon. Any suggestions?   no temp gauge in 94 FWB wagon. Any suggestions? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 10:55 pm

There's always the one built into the diagnostics on the climate control too.
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: no temp gauge in 94 FWB wagon. Any suggestions?   no temp gauge in 94 FWB wagon. Any suggestions? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 11:11 pm

How do you get to the one in the diagnostics? I have a temp gauge, but curious how it's calibrated. The PO put in a cooler thermostat so it hasn't hit the middle temp range yet.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jewelorjalopy.com
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: no temp gauge in 94 FWB wagon. Any suggestions?   no temp gauge in 94 FWB wagon. Any suggestions? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2014 6:01 am

The Roadmaster forum has a sticky on the subject: http://www.buickforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=43614#post43614

That said, the temperature function is not available or working on all models. On my 95, the 08 and 024 registers are most definitely not related to temperature, as they rise up to "operating temperature" without starting the engine and bear no resemblance to the scan tool results (details near the end of that thread).

However, Griswald on that forum has different results with his 96. In his case, the value only rises as the engine warms up and seems to fluctuate under different loads as one might expect. The difference might be related to the addition of OBDII on the later models, but we need more people to check to see if there is a discernible pattern.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: no temp gauge in 94 FWB wagon. Any suggestions?   no temp gauge in 94 FWB wagon. Any suggestions? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2014 8:17 am

The cars with idiot lights (and some with gauges) have an on-off switch for a sender. The ones with normally operating gauges have a variable output sender. On the LO3/5, the sender is on the driver's side head, and on an LT1/L99, the sender is on the passenger's side head. If you have a gauge, and it acts like an on-off switch, you can swap out the sender, and it may work like a real gauge. The gauge sender does not go through the computer on LO3/5s or LT1/L99s.
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: no temp gauge in 94 FWB wagon. Any suggestions?   no temp gauge in 94 FWB wagon. Any suggestions? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2014 10:52 am

Thanks for the info guys. Our gauge acts like a gauge, just with no markings to know the actual temp. As long as it stays cool I'm happy. I would like to remove the belt for the mechanical fan and maybe eventually go with dual electric fans, I hate the roar of the mechanical fan.

There were all sortd of hidden measures on out 2000 BMW 540it wagon that you could access if you knew how. Those ran hot and were known for cooling issues so I liked to check in on it.

Cheers,
Ian
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: no temp gauge in 94 FWB wagon. Any suggestions?   no temp gauge in 94 FWB wagon. Any suggestions? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2014 3:45 pm

The electric fans will roar just as much when they are working.
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: no temp gauge in 94 FWB wagon. Any suggestions?   no temp gauge in 94 FWB wagon. Any suggestions? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2014 7:47 pm

Probably, but there is something I hate about hearing the fan more than the engine.  I might look into a louder intakebor exhaust someday tomake it sound more like a v8 than a Zamboni. Smile

Our 2004 Tahoe has a nice burble at idle. The Roady is pretty quiet, ell other than an exhaust leak I need to chase down.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: no temp gauge in 94 FWB wagon. Any suggestions?   no temp gauge in 94 FWB wagon. Any suggestions? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

no temp gauge in 94 FWB wagon. Any suggestions?
Page 1 of 1