GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Member, No Wagon

Go down 
+13
VT Wagon
sswagon
stewzer55
81X11
Andebe
Sprocket
MalibuSSwagon
phantom 309
DBeaSSt
bamalongroof
cbshea13
silverfox103
rjathon
17 posters
AuthorMessage
rjathon

rjathon

New Member, No Wagon Empty
PostSubject: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2014 5:37 pm

Greetings,

I just signed up. I am currently the proud owner of a 1996 Roadmaster sedan. I bought a 1995 RM sedan for my three children to use as teenagers for safety reasons and was so impressed with the car that I bought one for myself back in 2006. Ever since then I've lusted after a wagon.

Someone on the Buick Roadmaster forum mentioned this forum just as I was about to buy an immaculate stock 1996 White Woody Roadmaster wagon. The interior and body is near perfect. Someone on these forums cautioned about buying cars from the rust belt and the original owner of this beauty had this car in Michigan for its first thirteen years so I did a last minute inspection of the bottom of the car and ouch! there is rust everywhere. I crawled under my sedan for a comparison and there is almost none so I walked away from it. It was heart breaking because the car is near perfect otherwise and the sellers are very nice people.

So here I am a member with no wagon. silent

It does raise a question. How hard is to find a rust free specimen in excellent condition and how much would one expect to pay? I love Roadmasters and really want to go on a Wagon Fest. Also, are sedans allowed to participate?

Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2014 6:22 pm

Welcome and glad you found us!

Glad you saw the posting about the rust belt. There are plenty of rust free wagons around, you just may have to travel to get it, either out west or down south.

It would probably be a good idea for you to put your location in your signature.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
cbshea13

cbshea13

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2014 6:32 pm

Welcome aboard!

Sorry to hear about the rust on that nice car. As for finding one that is rust free - not so easy. I couldn't even begin to suggest, unless you look down in Arizona/New Mexico...the dryer parts of the country. Though, I don't have a lot of expertise in looking for that sort of thing!
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2014 6:45 pm

Welcome to the forum there are rust free examples in GA AL TN FL MS LA and TX use search tempest to help and it's sometimes possible for one of us in the south to look them over for you. My wagon was from Florida and found in Michigan where it spent only 2 years. Jeff
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2014 6:47 pm

Welcome to Longroof! Yes, it is possible to find a rust free, or very little rust wagon. Spend some time reading around the forums, you'll pick up lots of information. When in doubt, do ask and we'll do our best to answer. Smile As to price, it really depends on lots of variables.

And YES sedans are welcome at WagonFest!
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2014 8:02 pm

Rust is subjective to opinion,.

you say tamhto, i say tomayto,.

i have to ask the question,. how often do you look under peoples cars? or yours for that matter,.

surface rust is one thing,. gaping holes are another,.

Cars from the rust belt ride and drive just as well as cars from the south,.

Sometimes a rust free car is purely bragging rights,..
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2014 8:44 pm

My OCC is a low mile car from the rust belt, been here it's whole life. That being said, it did have some spots of surface rust on the underside. GM did not undercoat the "belly" of the car from the factory, just primer coated, so don't be surprised to see some surface rust starting in places. If the rust is real heavy or uniform, and there are soft spots, steer clear. Otherwise if you can knock on the metal and it's still solid, I'd go for it.

Some spots to watch for, inner wheel wells on the rear tend to rot, bottom of the b-pillars, and the front inner wheel wells.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2014 8:58 pm

Welcome aboard!
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2014 9:13 pm

Sprocket wrote:
Welcome aboard!  

Just happened to notice that was your 4500 post, John! Good for 4th place, I think TX Mike is safe for now.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 10:20 am

Welcome aboard,fellow Hoosier!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 10:58 am

Welcome to the forum, and good for you for looking under the car first.   You should be able to find a nice southern or western car for $3000-7000.   That's the usual spread, with super-low-mile cars more than that, but these cars run forever, so don't be too scared of higher mileage.

After living in New Jersey as a teenager, and being in Texas for 20+ years now, I will say that I FOR SURE recommend buying a car with as little rust as possible.    Being an old car, you WILL have to work on it, and there is something magical about laying down under your nearly 20-year-old car and removing a bolt like it was installed a week ago...with no Liquid Wrench/torch/rust-flakes-in-the-eyes.   And God will appreciate the lack of cuss words involved in repairs compared to rust-frozen northern cars! Ha!!

I've just spent a year working on a New Jersey '82 Camaro and a Jersey-raised '90 Blazer, and I can tell you it's no picnic compared to my made-in-Texas-and-never-left Roadmaster wagon.   Wink

Salt is for French Fries and Margaritas, not roads!! God Bless Texas!!
New Member, No Wagon Another96RMW016[/quote]

-Texas Mike
Back to top Go down
rjathon

rjathon

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 12:13 pm

Thank you all for your replies. When I bought my RM sedan it was a Grandma car that had never seen snow. Although I live in IN it still is pristine because I usually don't drive it when they salt the roads and if I have to I go to the car wash when I'm done. I live in a small town and don't mind long walks.

Please keep your eyes out for a nice wagon. I am happy to fly to wherever and drive one home.

Until I get one it is fun having the dream. Since I already have a beautiful sedan I'm happy.
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 8:43 pm

Welcome, I'm in the same boat you're in, just 50 miles east of the state line.
Back to top Go down
sswagon

sswagon

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 9:17 am

Your lust for wagons is completely understandable here. This is a place where that lust will turn into love. Rust free wagons are out there. I bought mine when I lived in AZ. $3500. The $3000-$7000 is about the ball park for one in decent shape. Perhaps less if you are willing to for go motor/trans dependability and concentrate on body and interior. We have members all over the country who, I'm sure, would be willing to go look at one for you. I had my '78 Malibu wagon shipped out to PA from AZ for only $900 so that could be an option as well. Glad you are here. Paul
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2014 4:22 pm

Search-tempest.com is your wagon hunting friend. Will scour CL and ebay for you Smile Happy hunting.
Back to top Go down
rjathon

rjathon

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 12:27 pm

New member new wagon!

A buddy in FL found me a 1996 a Roadmaster wagon that is dark cherry metallic with a tan interior without the tow pack hence a 2.56 open rear end and with all of the bells and whistles. I'm awaiting a police report so that I can get plates and drive it home. It has 104K miles and was a grandpa car.

Since I already have a sedan this is an RV. Count me in for a wagon fest!
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 3:18 pm

Congratulations!
Back to top Go down
VT Wagon

VT Wagon

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2014 6:46 pm

I bought a 96 RMW almost 3 weeks ago. I paid what I would consider top dollar because of low mileage and little to no rust. For a northern car I feel like I scored. That said, with low mileage comes 'sit-itis'. With the shocks, a few oil leaks, battery & tires and sourcing a Class III hitch, I figure I will be just south of $10k by the time I am done.

Hard to get a good Suburban or Pickup for that up here. Since I need a tow rig, those were my options.
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2014 9:11 pm

Welcome! I think I remember your post on the SS forum.

Out here on the West Coast rust free cars are the norm. We paid well under $2k for ours, but it needed a trans, a dent fixed in the front bumper, and a serious cleaning. 130k miles, 2 owners with records. They are out there, just be patient.

Another option is to have someone local check it out for you, we built a tool to help with this. www.jewelorjalopy.com where you can request an inspection near the car. We would love to see lots of folks here sign up as inspectors, not a huge B-Body presence yet!

Good luck, and hope we can help! I'm certainly happy to help look at any here in Portland.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jewelorjalopy.com
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2014 1:57 pm

I like your site and good business idea. Jeff
Back to top Go down
stationedwagon

stationedwagon

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2014 1:01 am

rjathon wrote:
Greetings,

I just signed up. I am currently the proud owner of a 1996 Roadmaster sedan. I bought a 1995 RM sedan for my three children to use as teenagers for safety reasons and was so impressed with the car that I bought one for myself back in 2006. Ever since then I've lusted after a wagon.

Someone on the Buick Roadmaster forum mentioned this forum just as I was about to buy an immaculate stock 1996 White Woody Roadmaster wagon. The interior and body is near perfect. Someone on these forums cautioned about buying cars from the rust belt and the original owner of this beauty had this car in Michigan for its first thirteen years so I did a last minute inspection of the bottom of the car and ouch! there is rust everywhere. I crawled under my sedan for a comparison and there is almost none so I walked away from it. It was heart breaking because the car is near perfect otherwise and the sellers are very nice people.

So here I am a member with no wagon. silent

It does raise a question. How hard is to find a rust free specimen in excellent condition and how much would one expect to pay?  I love Roadmasters and really want to go on a Wagon Fest. Also, are sedans allowed to participate?

Was the wagon you were looking at in Silver Lake? I just purchased a very very clean white woody from a super nice guy in Silver Lake and the car was from Michigan for the first 12 or 13 years of life.. Seems like a nice car and the price was right $3150.00. Everything worked and 112k mi, tow pkg, hitch etc... I put on a new set of WW tires (can't stand black walls!) a good leather steering wheel cover and the car drives 100%!. Had it up on the lift and everything checked out. The underneath was pretty clean for a northern car, no body rust at all, surface rust all over the frame but solid ( who ever had this did not do much winter driving). It's not as clean underneath as my other 96 but that one (although also from the midwest) has never been in the snow (not one time). I've owned serveral of these wagons now including two from the south and almost all of them had there flaws.I had one wagon from TN and it was not nearly as clean body wise as this one. I wouldn't be afraid of a midwestern car as long as it isn't all crusty underneath. If this is the car I'm glad you past on it because I wouldn't of had the chance to buy it otherwise. Good luck with your search and I'm glad you found a nice car. I'd say for the most part unless you want to spend $6k-7k plus you should be alittle less picky. There are a lot of good wagons still in the midwest. I'm sure they are out there but for alittle over three thousand I can't imagine finding a nicer one.

Last edited by stationedwagon on Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:54 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
rjathon

rjathon

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2014 4:21 pm

I fly to Florida tomorrow to pick up my new wagon!

I've been reading these forums and am overwhelmed with all of the information and am very impressed with the skill set many have. I am not mechanical, I just love these old wagons. My plan with this one is to clean it and drive it but keep it stock. I don't want to worry about repairs until something breaks.

One question though. This is a rust free Florida car moving to Indiana. Would undercoating be a good idea or is it too late?

Other than that I just plan on enjoying it.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2014 4:36 pm

Russ, I got your email. I'll call you after Sunday Dinner.

As for undercoating, it is NEVER too late to Ziebart it.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2014 5:14 pm

Superior Finish wrote:

You're probably better off with an oil based rustproofing, like Krown or Metropolitain.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2014 6:16 pm

Let me clarify, to me, Ziebart is to rust proofing as Kleenex is to facial tissue. Until yesterday, I thought Ziebart had gone out of business.
Back to top Go down
rjathon

rjathon

PostSubject: New Member, New Wagon!   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 12:42 pm

New member, new wagon! I'm visiting a friend in Huntsville, AL on the way back from Florida driving my new rust free dark cherry metallic wagon home. Yahoo!  It runs great.  There is only one unusual thing- the speedometer is way out of calibration. It reads 78 mph when the gps says 70. It appears to have a new transmission. I wonder if that could be related.
Back to top Go down
sswagon

sswagon

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 12:52 pm

Rear tire diameter will affect speedometer reading.
Back to top Go down
rjathon

rjathon

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 2:05 pm

New Member, No Wagon IMG_0548-L

Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 2:15 pm

I have non stock wheels and tires and read similar I've been told this can be corrected within the PCM.  Jeff
Back to top Go down
rjathon

rjathon

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 11:01 am

Hi Jeff,

It has stock rims but the tires are size P205/75 R15 so they must be a smaller diameter. They are in great shape with lots of tread left so I can't see replacing them. They will probably last me five years. They are Firestone Tempests. I wonder why they didn't put stock P225/75 R15 on it? It has the 2.56 rear end so it is probably fine.
Back to top Go down
rjathon

rjathon

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 11:10 am

I looked it up on the tire size calculator and learned that these tires are 1.18 inches shorter and have 3.71 inches less circumference leading to 31 more tire rpm's per mile. This would make the speedometer read 83.5 when it should say 80. It is off by more than twice that.

Russ
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 9:01 pm

It sounds as if it should be closer to the actual speed but maybe they were not that accurate even new.

Mine doesn't bother me as you get used to it and when I take a trip i'm using the Waze app on my phone it has an accurate speedo as part of its display. Jeff
Back to top Go down
rjathon

rjathon

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2014 1:21 am

The speedometer is off by nearly exactly 10% which is very easy to deal with. No worries. My buddy hooked up an OBD2 bluetooth device to it which read rpm's, etc in real time which was a hoot. The smaller tires don't make much difference in that all of the way up to 70 mph the engine never went above 1900 rpm, even when accelerating. I drive very conservatively. What a neat device that is.

Thank you for the help,

Russ
Back to top Go down
rjathon

rjathon

PostSubject: Rust Proofing   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2014 1:27 am

jasonlachapelle wrote:
Superior Finish wrote:

You're probably better off with an oil based rustproofing, like Krown or Metropolitain.

I talked with a friend from Michigan who has a novel technique for rust proofing. He simply sprays his used oil underneath his car after every oil change. He has never had a rust problem.

Russ
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2014 6:24 pm

The used oil sprayed on the under carriage has been done in Canada for a long time everyone I know who has done this swears by it. Maybe some of our Canadians wil chime in.
Back to top Go down
stationedwagon

stationedwagon

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2014 4:10 pm

rjathon wrote:
jasonlachapelle wrote:
Superior Finish wrote:

I talked with a friend from Michigan who has a novel technique for rust proofing. He simply sprays his used oil underneath his car after every oil change. He has never had a rust problem.

Russ

Our uncle for years drove a 1970 International pick-up truck.He bought it new in 1971. Every fall he would spray the whole exterior of the truck with oil. Underbody, paint, chrome, glass and all. He would let it drip in the gravel yard overnight. The next morning he would go out and clean off the glass. He would then drive it and never wash it all winter. The truck would be black (paint was white). It always looked so dirty! Spring time came and all the dirt and oil was cleaned off. That truck had over 350,000 miles on it when he stopped driving it in 1995 and hardly any rust at all! Just a few bubbles around the windshield. When he sold it the buyer remarked how he must of never drove it in the winter time. My uncle laughed and told him the story.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Member, No Wagon   New Member, No Wagon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Member, No Wagon
Page 1 of 1