GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

94-96 Roadmaster warning lights and aftermarket gauges

Go down 
+2
Fred Kiehl
autoarcheologist
6 posters
AuthorMessage
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

94-96 Roadmaster warning lights and aftermarket gauges Empty
PostSubject: 94-96 Roadmaster warning lights and aftermarket gauges   94-96 Roadmaster warning lights and aftermarket gauges Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2014 7:50 pm

I already miss my full set of gauges in the Tahoe so I've been doing some research and drooling over the Z28 clusters I see here.  I'm trying to be realistic about my time, and know I can't build my own.  But $450 is also out of the budget at the moment.

So I'm looking at adding a tach and a couple extra gauges somewhere.  Under the dash, on the A-pillar, in the ashtray, or in a console on the roof.

I figure I can add a tach, oil pressure, voltmeter and trans temp for about $200.  Does anybody have aftermarket gauge installations they want to share?

I was also reading about the warning lights you lose when you install a Z28 cluster, and it made me realize I have never seen the "door ajar" or "gate open" warning lights on mine.

So while waiting for my folks at the airport the other night I snapped this photo.  Does anybody know if I have a few bulbs burned out?

94-96 Roadmaster warning lights and aftermarket gauges IMG_20141029_222916.043

I also found this shot of the back of a gauge cluster, and it looks like there are potentially 15 warning lights on the right side and 6 on the left.

94-96 Roadmaster warning lights and aftermarket gauges $_57
Back to top Go down
http://www.jewelorjalopy.com
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: 94-96 Roadmaster warning lights and aftermarket gauges   94-96 Roadmaster warning lights and aftermarket gauges Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 12:50 am

I dug out a flashlight and peered carefully at the dash, and I can make out the "Gate Ajar" light on the upper left, and "low coolant" on the lower right.

So when I replace the radio I will be checking all warning lights.

One other question, does anybody know if the PRNDL can be adjusted? Ours is slightly off.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 94-96 Roadmaster warning lights and aftermarket gauges   94-96 Roadmaster warning lights and aftermarket gauges Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 10:04 am

The PRNDL can be adjusted by moving the clip on the column bezel. To access the clip easily, remove the knee bolster (4 10mm bolts). Mark the original location. Push the clip off of the bezel, and move it to the location you want. You will not have to move it far. The best way to adjust it, is to put the lever in overdrive, and then center the bar with color showing in both dots on either side at the top of the D. There is some slop in the linkage, so move it to both extremes, and then hold it in the center of the extremes when adjusting the indicator.
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: 94-96 Roadmaster warning lights and aftermarket gauges   94-96 Roadmaster warning lights and aftermarket gauges Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 12:48 pm

Awesome thanks!
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: 94-96 Roadmaster warning lights and aftermarket gauges   94-96 Roadmaster warning lights and aftermarket gauges Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2014 1:27 am

I have done 2 clusters now....just take each bulb out and check them. There is one or 2 spots that remain unused as they were for future potential indicators. There is a cruise light too that can be checked when you engage your cc.

Be sure you have spare bulbs on hand before you test yours as you will have at least a few out. I see that your odometer is not fully lit.

I do not see that your cluster has the 4 white boxes around the indicator lights which means yours would have been an early production 94.
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: 94-96 Roadmaster warning lights and aftermarket gauges   94-96 Roadmaster warning lights and aftermarket gauges Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2014 10:11 pm

Thanks for the info Lance. I like the cluster with the white boxes, but I'd much prefer a 93 and earlier cluster.

Do you know what kind of bulbs they are offhand?

I do think the cruise light is out, not that I really care. I rarely use it and I can tell when it's on.
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: 94-96 Roadmaster warning lights and aftermarket gauges   94-96 Roadmaster warning lights and aftermarket gauges Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2014 1:02 am

I do not remember the numbers, but do recall that the bulbs are formed into the bases and you need to switch the whole unit out rather than trying to replace a bulb in the base. The larger grey bases may even state "replace entire unit" right on the bases. I found a couple of donor dashes (from a yard) and took all the bulbs from them so I would have working bulbs to put into my clusters.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 94-96 Roadmaster warning lights and aftermarket gauges   94-96 Roadmaster warning lights and aftermarket gauges Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2014 9:08 am

Another option is to replace them with LEDs. The LEDs should outlast the car. You may have to put a current limiting resistor between the lights and either the positive side of the circuit, or the ground side of the circuit. It does not matter which side you put it on. A good value for the resistor is about 25 ohms and 1/2 watt.
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: 94-96 Roadmaster warning lights and aftermarket gauges   94-96 Roadmaster warning lights and aftermarket gauges Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2014 1:20 pm

I'd really like to put LEDs in the doors and map lights, brighter with less current draw sound great.

I'm a Mechanical Engineer, not EECS. Would I just need one resistor for the entire dash? That I could handle. Maybe. Wink
Back to top Go down
JaySS
Admin
JaySS

PostSubject: Re: 94-96 Roadmaster warning lights and aftermarket gauges   94-96 Roadmaster warning lights and aftermarket gauges Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2014 5:18 pm

autoarcheologist wrote:
I'd really like to put LEDs in the doors and map lights, brighter with less current draw sound great.

I'm a Mechanical Engineer, not EECS.  Would I just need one resistor for the entire dash?  That I could handle.  Maybe. Wink

No need to reinvent the wheel:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/vehicle/1994-buick-roadmaster-wagon-/9-889-41-/

- J

Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: 94-96 Roadmaster warning lights and aftermarket gauges   94-96 Roadmaster warning lights and aftermarket gauges Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2014 11:39 pm

Duh, thanks. Never bothered to do a little research.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: 94-96 Roadmaster warning lights and aftermarket gauges   94-96 Roadmaster warning lights and aftermarket gauges Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2014 7:13 am

autoarcheologist wrote:
Duh, thanks.  Never bothered to do a little research.

It's a common phenomenon on this forum,...
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

PostSubject: Re: 94-96 Roadmaster warning lights and aftermarket gauges   94-96 Roadmaster warning lights and aftermarket gauges Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2014 5:20 pm

It's been three years since I acquired my 91 OCC and a 91 Caprice wagon....Even though the Caprice was more basic, it sold quicker, so I kept the OCC (which I really preferred, anyway!)
I havent had a RMW so I cant comment about whether the instrument pod would fit a caprice, but I think a pod from an OCC would fit...... I can't comment on wiring harness compatability, though
Back to top Go down
http://v-driveboat.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 94-96 Roadmaster warning lights and aftermarket gauges   94-96 Roadmaster warning lights and aftermarket gauges Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

94-96 Roadmaster warning lights and aftermarket gauges
Page 1 of 1