GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Woodgrain and white tailgate

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
oldfriendabb

oldfriendabb

Woodgrain and white tailgate Empty
PostSubject: Woodgrain and white tailgate   Woodgrain and white tailgate Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2014 3:33 pm

It appears that my car had been given a lot of love for many years and then got in the hands of a young guy with big ideas and little knowledge or skill. He started peeling the woodgrain off and gave up half-way across the tailgate. Tailgate works fine, just looks bad. Would like to right this wrong.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Woodgrain and white tailgate   Woodgrain and white tailgate Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2014 4:57 pm

You have a few options as the factory wood grain is no longer available:

1. remove the remaining woodgrain on the tailgate as no one but us would notice.
2. Find something "close enough" as the taillights would break up any adjoining lines.
3. Replace the vinyl on the entire car with something original and cool
4. Replace the entire tailgate with one from a white woody.
Back to top Go down
71novaguy

PostSubject: Re: Woodgrain and white tailgate   Woodgrain and white tailgate Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2014 6:40 pm

there is a white and woodgrain woody at the junkyard near me....
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Woodgrain and white tailgate   Woodgrain and white tailgate Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2014 9:17 pm

There is a white and woodgrain one in a yard here as well. It is stripped, but not dented when I was there last week. I would like $150 to go get it, and shipping is about $90 by Greyhound to the nearest package depot. Greyhound has been good to the panels I have sent, and I am comfortable shipping with them. It is a 93, and the hinges are different from the 94-96.

Packing is with a piece of Styrofoam over the face of the door, and it is wrapped in shrink wrap. I put the label on the face so they do not put it face down and dent it. Shipping by FEDEX and UPS is outrageous, and I have to pack it in a box to keep them from damaging it.

If you are removing your old one, open it as a door, and disconnect the torque rod spring, or it will become a projectile that can really hurt someone.

Another option is to get a car wrap place to make a "close" copy of your woodgrain, and replace it. It comes off with moderate heat, and a little persistence, followed with Goof Off for the residual glue. This option is a lot cheaper and easier.
Back to top Go down
stationedwagon

stationedwagon

PostSubject: Re: Woodgrain and white tailgate   Woodgrain and white tailgate Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2014 1:09 am

I have a white tailgate with woodgrain for $275.00 off of a 95. Located in Medaryville, Indiana not to far from you. I used the molding off the top but nice otherwise.
Back to top Go down
oldfriendabb

oldfriendabb

PostSubject: Re: Woodgrain and white tailgate   Woodgrain and white tailgate Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2014 8:20 pm

Thanks for the ideas guys. Fred, let me check this one out in Marion first. Stationedwagon, can you get me a pic by chance? Will PM you my cell number in case texting a pic is an option.
Back to top Go down
stationedwagon

stationedwagon

PostSubject: Re: Woodgrain and white tailgate   Woodgrain and white tailgate Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 1:06 am

Looked at the gate last night. It's nice and clean but has a woodgrain peel spot the size of a quarter to the right of the plate.
Back to top Go down
oldfriendabb

oldfriendabb

PostSubject: Re: Woodgrain and white tailgate   Woodgrain and white tailgate Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2014 11:49 pm

Sorry for delayed response, been a crazy week. I think I am going to check out another local option. Thanks guys. I may inquire again. I am going to pass for now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Woodgrain and white tailgate   Woodgrain and white tailgate Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Woodgrain and white tailgate
Page 1 of 1