GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Removing woodgrain tailgate insert

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dwardo

Removing woodgrain tailgate insert Empty
PostSubject: Removing woodgrain tailgate insert   Removing woodgrain tailgate insert Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2022 10:56 pm

The fake woodgrain on my tailgate is nice except for the area around the tag, which is a separate piece. I want to peel that off and leave the rest. I realize that there will be some of that gross tan paint in some areas (thanks for that information, guys) but I still want to take it off. I want to take as much as possible off in large pieces instead of little flakes, if possible. How to do? just bought a decent heat gun and x-acto knife. I was thinking of trimming around the edge of the applique to make sure it is separated and then carefully heat it and peel off. I think I should start near the center under the tag area and work outward. Advice? Bear in mind it's kind of cold here now. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Removing woodgrain tailgate insert   Removing woodgrain tailgate insert Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2022 7:54 pm

Trim what you want to remove, heat it a little and pull it off.

The stuff is pretty generic and normally comes right off in giant sheets. Took me an hour or two to strip an entire wagon. I did have an entire quarter panel that went against the norm. It was damaged in an accident at some point. They repaired it cheaply and the sticker they used had one hell of a strong bond.

Removing woodgrain tailgate insert JVOqiB8
Back to top Go down
dwardo

PostSubject: Re: Removing woodgrain tailgate insert   Removing woodgrain tailgate insert Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2022 8:50 pm

Cool. I found an old clothing steamer that I used when I used to travel on business Crying or Very sad It puts out one heck of a lot of steam. Maybe that would work and be more gentle. I'll try both. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Removing woodgrain tailgate insert   Removing woodgrain tailgate insert Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2022 9:29 pm

I just used a regular old heat gun. Most of it came off without heat.

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Removing woodgrain tailgate insert   Removing woodgrain tailgate insert Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2022 12:35 am

A hair dryer should work as well.

94Woody and Wojtek like this post

Back to top Go down
Wojtek

Wojtek

PostSubject: Re: Removing woodgrain tailgate insert   Removing woodgrain tailgate insert Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2022 11:56 am

Mineral spirits should remove any goop that's left without damaging the paint

94Woody likes this post

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Removing woodgrain tailgate insert   Removing woodgrain tailgate insert Icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2022 12:28 am

Wojtek wrote:
Mineral spirits should remove any goop that's left without damaging the paint

Good call. I forgot all about that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Removing woodgrain tailgate insert   Removing woodgrain tailgate insert Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Removing woodgrain tailgate insert
Page 1 of 1