GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Barely made it home in Big Red....again...SOLVED, or so I thought ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!

Go down 
+6
Fred Kiehl
Krzdimond
94Woody
waynes91
jayoldschool
Sprocket
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
phantom 309

phantom 309

Barely made it home in Big Red....again...SOLVED, or  so I thought ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barely made it home in Big Red....again...SOLVED, or so I thought ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!   Barely made it home in Big Red....again...SOLVED, or  so I thought ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 8:00 pm

so,. the elephant in the room and all,.

you simply cut the hose end off and shoved it on again,.??

you need to buy a cheap fuel pressure guage,. stop guessing now,..

Nick
somewhere in the back of my mind i wonder shouldn't that be neoprene or clear plastic hose??
i.e not windsheild washer rubber hose,..
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Barely made it home in Big Red....again...SOLVED, or  so I thought ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barely made it home in Big Red....again...SOLVED, or so I thought ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!   Barely made it home in Big Red....again...SOLVED, or  so I thought ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 9:35 pm

Cheap is a relative term. For a TBI you need a modified adapter to replace the fuel line adapter, which is $40, and then you get to find a fuel pressure gauge. The cheapest electric gauge I found is about $60. You want an electric one so that you can mount it in the car. The gauge I found is a Glow Shift 35 PSI and has 7 color options internally. I do not remember where I got it, but they are advertized on ebay.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Barely made it home in Big Red....again...SOLVED, or so I thought ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!   Barely made it home in Big Red....again...SOLVED, or  so I thought ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 10:00 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Cheap is a relative term. For a TBI you need a modified adapter to replace the fuel line adapter, which is $40, and then you get to find a fuel pressure gauge. The cheapest electric gauge I found is about $60. You want an electric one so that you can mount it in the car. The gauge I found is a Glow Shift 35 PSI and has 7 color options internally. I do not remember where I got it, but they are advertized on ebay.

TBI=fail

why not 'tee into the feed line by the throttle body, add some line, put the guage on the cowl,.
when its done, cap the tee,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Barely made it home in Big Red....again...SOLVED, or so I thought ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!   Barely made it home in Big Red....again...SOLVED, or  so I thought ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 10:50 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
Fred Kiehl wrote:

TBI=fail

why not 'tee into the feed line by the throttle body, add some line, put the guage on the cowl,.
when its done, cap the tee,.

Nick

You try it and let me know how it goes. The lines are clamped down, and there is not room to "T" into the line. I tried that approach, and was not happy with the results...I ended up replacing the original fuel lines. The modified adapter is the way to go.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Barely made it home in Big Red....again...SOLVED, or so I thought ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!   Barely made it home in Big Red....again...SOLVED, or  so I thought ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 11:03 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
so,. the elephant in the room and all,.

you simply cut the hose end off and shoved it on again,.??

you need to buy a cheap fuel pressure guage,. stop guessing now,..

Nick
somewhere in the back of my mind i wonder shouldn't that be neoprene or clear plastic hose??
i.e not windsheild washer rubber hose,..

[erhaps, I faile to mention that I was swapping whole sending unit assemblies as I had an 'extra' from a car I parted.

Got home late (read sunset), so didn't have time to mess with it tonight..... gonna take apart the one with the split hose and replace that part then swap that one in.

Agreed, I need a pressure gauges, but as Fred mentioned, haven't found an eloquent way to put one on. Friday is my next off day and I think I'll be flipping the plates back over to Ruby. She only needs and 2 hours to put her right.....
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Barely made it home in Big Red....again...SOLVED, or so I thought ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!   Barely made it home in Big Red....again...SOLVED, or  so I thought ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 11:13 pm

Gauge on ebay: 52mm BLACK 7 COLOR 30psi FUEL PRESSURE PSI GAUGE
Adapter: http://marine-performance-parts.com/cfmtechfuelpsiguageadaptorforgmtbi2843505774.aspx
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Barely made it home in Big Red....again...SOLVED, or so I thought ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!   Barely made it home in Big Red....again...SOLVED, or  so I thought ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 11:27 pm

Nice find Fred. Exactly what I need.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Barely made it home in Big Red....again...SOLVED, or so I thought ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!   Barely made it home in Big Red....again...SOLVED, or  so I thought ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 10:32 am

Sprocket wrote:
Nice find Fred. Exactly what I need.

Can you imagine how I would know about those items...
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Barely made it home in Big Red....again...SOLVED, or so I thought ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!   Barely made it home in Big Red....again...SOLVED, or  so I thought ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 9:44 am

So it SEEMS as though I have exorcised my fuel demons.
For the fourth Friday night in a row, I have dropped the same tank in Big Red.
I replaced the split rubber hose on the former Ruby pump and installed it in Big Red, who seems to be running normally again.

Had I taken the time to check the sending unit in the first place I would have been done with this issue 3 weeks ago Embarassed

thanks to everyone who gave me some tips and tricks to try and especially those who listened to me b1tch about the whole thing, lol
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Barely made it home in Big Red....again...SOLVED, or so I thought ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!   Barely made it home in Big Red....again...SOLVED, or  so I thought ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 5:21 pm

It started to sound more like wining...did you bring cheese?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Barely made it home in Big Red....again...SOLVED, or so I thought ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!   Barely made it home in Big Red....again...SOLVED, or  so I thought ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Barely made it home in Big Red....again...SOLVED, or so I thought ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2