GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ordered new shocks and rear springs.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
schmalexander

schmalexander

Ordered new shocks and rear springs.  Empty
PostSubject: Ordered new shocks and rear springs.    Ordered new shocks and rear springs.  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2015 9:50 pm

You know, cause there weren't multiple posts about this already  Wink

Well, I was playing around with my car and pushing on the bumper and the car is waaaay too bouncy, and i have little to no confidence in corners, OLD kyb excel G's all around. And one of the rear coils springs must not be seated right cause it makes a KLOOOONG! noise when it gets moved just far enough, like going into awkward parking lot entrances, sometimes even when i just sit down (250lbs). From my measurements the rear right was about 1/4 to half an inch lower, im wondering if the weight of the spare tire affects it, all the other sides seemed fine.

Anyways i figured id go big and ordered some bilstein b6's off of allshocks. I hope they are worth it considering all the nice things you guys have said about them and the almost 200$ more than 4 kyb gas adjust shocks.

I also ordered some moog cc623's and rubber insulators. i dont know if i really needed them, but i figured the 24 year old soft coils on a Heavy wagon might be worn out by now, plus if im already under there doing shocks why not.

Is it true these cars aren't supposed to get jacked up the typical way, (floor jack doing each side at once) cause that can cause the springs to get unseated? that's the only way I've been lifting it up :/  

Anyways id like to think i'm not doing overkill with the variable coils, i mean, i like hauling alot of people around, but most of the time its just me driving 40 miles a day to work. Im hoping this fixes the wallowing around, laziness, and crappy reaction to some bumps on the freeway/scrapes when leaving parking lots.

id like it to be firmish, but i dont want to make it feel like im driving a solid rubber tire, suspension-less forklift like i do at work. lol    

So besides going and getting sway bars and such - (summer project). do these make a significant difference in handling/affect overall comfort? I've got 1 week left of floaty mcboat till my parts arrive Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ordered new shocks and rear springs.    Ordered new shocks and rear springs.  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2015 10:54 pm

CC623s are TALL springs.

Very tall.

Here's how my wagon sat with stock front and CC623 rears:

Ordered new shocks and rear springs.  12876_10206134288462836_7608649097684656326_n

You can jack it just fine from the frame with the springs in place. They won't come out of the perch if they're stock height. If you have LOWERING springs, they may, but you just weld a piece of exhaust pipe or something to the upper perch to prevent them from falling. Done.

The shocks will give you the biggest difference for your handling. They're far more influential than the springs. For instance, I bought lowering springs for my wagon, but did research to make sure the spring rates, etc. were very similar to stock so as not to make it uncomfortable to drive. And it's not. It just sits lower:

Ordered new shocks and rear springs.  10958570_10206142855717012_205631406244099128_n
Back to top Go down
schmalexander

schmalexander

PostSubject: Re: Ordered new shocks and rear springs.    Ordered new shocks and rear springs.  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2015 11:15 pm

oh wow, that is a little tall, but not too ridiculous. Good to know that it wont look like a door wedge when all is said and done, and that it should be way less floaty. NICE wagon by the way!
Back to top Go down
rjathon

rjathon

PostSubject: Re: Ordered new shocks and rear springs.    Ordered new shocks and rear springs.  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2015 3:31 am

With the rear raised up from the CC623 did you do something to raise up the front a bit to match?
Back to top Go down
schmalexander

schmalexander

PostSubject: Re: Ordered new shocks and rear springs.    Ordered new shocks and rear springs.  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2015 3:43 am

Nah, I still have the stock springs up front. With the roads we have I wanted a little softness. That and they wouldn't be nearly as easy to do at the back ones, I'm lazy. Lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ordered new shocks and rear springs.    Ordered new shocks and rear springs.  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2015 11:11 am

I didn't do front springs until I lowered it. It rode fine, but it had noticeable rake.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ordered new shocks and rear springs.    Ordered new shocks and rear springs.  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ordered new shocks and rear springs.
Page 1 of 1