GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon

Go down 
+12
autoarcheologist
steel-and-fire
brokecello
94Woody
BigBlackBeaSSt
YachtDriver
Andebe
MalibuSSwagon
Fred Kiehl
silverfox103
phantom 309
lamune
16 posters
AuthorMessage
lamune

lamune

Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon Empty
PostSubject: Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon   Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2015 7:35 pm

Will a LT1 long block fit safely in the trunk with the seat down? I may not be able to get a truck to haul a motor.

I'd use a standard 1T shop crane to get it in and out.

Not sure if there's enough vertical clearance to make it work.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon   Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2015 7:38 pm

yes it will i,ve hauled 2 complete LT1 engines in a wagon,.

load it on to the tail gate,. then roll it in,..
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon   Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2015 7:40 pm

Not sure if it will or won't fit, but there is potential to make a mess no matter how careful you are.

Updated: if Nick says it will fit, take it to the bank.

Tom
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon   Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2015 7:50 pm

silverfox103 wrote:
Not sure if it will or won't fit, but there is potential to make a mess no matter how careful you are.

Updated:  if Nick says it will fit, take it to the bank.

Tom

Agreed! If Nick's done it twice, no sweat. Smile

I may be able to borrow a neighbor's truck, but the trucks are very tall, so getting enough clearance with the shop crane may be a problem with a tall truck.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon   Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2015 9:16 pm

Get a big sheet of corrugated plastic sign board to put it on. If you have two, one will slide on the other, and make it easier to move. Another thing that works is the furniture slider pads. Someone I know also tried kitty litter tops...they slide like the furniture sliders.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon   Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2015 9:41 pm

I wouldn't do it, potential to make a mess and ruin the interior is high. But I do have a truck for hauling things.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon   Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2015 10:19 am

Part of the fun of owning a wagon is seeing what you can haul in it. Gor for it...and I second Freds idea on the plastic signs. They are slick lil boogers.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon   Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2015 10:38 am

i used a cheap tarp ($12 iirc)

assuming the motors are bled of their vital fluids, mess should be minimal,
i layed the motors sideways, front one on its drivers side,. back one on its pas side,
front one only had a water pump,. the back one was fully dressed with manifolds,ps, and alternator,.flywheel etc,.
IIrcc the only mess i had was from the p/s pump on the motor closest the tailgate,.

another time i hauled a motor back from new york i stopped at the drags in rochester where the impala boys were racing,.didn't run the car tho,.(run of the mill old gold rusty roady woody)
Back to top Go down
YachtDriver

YachtDriver

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon   Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2015 2:56 pm

I used a large tote to haul a 4L80E transmission. The transmission does not quite fit. The tail Shaft slightly distorts the tote but it protected the car when the transmission puked. Now it's protecting my garage floor while the transmission waits for it's new home.

Perhaps mod a tote a bit to fit the motor. Use the bottom part for sliding the motor in and out. There are inexpensive large ones out there. The big red one I found only cost $20. Hit the odd lot store. They may have something that will fit it.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon   Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2015 3:35 pm

If you put a sheet of cheap plywood down and then a tarp as Nick suggested you should be fine.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon   Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2015 5:51 pm

I once hauled a 427 in the back of an 89 Trans Am. From Virginia Beach to Central Kentucky.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon   Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2015 5:53 pm

We all have a little redneck in us
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon   Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2015 10:34 pm

Ive done it...I wrapped the crap outta the engine with plastic wrap and then used a tarp. No mess :-)

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
steel-and-fire

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon   Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2015 9:46 am

Glad to see a thread like this pop up. I might be doing the same thing very soon.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/weltallid123
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon   Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2015 1:20 am

My Roadmaster came with a free Alfa engine. It fit in the back standing up on a simple wooden dolly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jewelorjalopy.com

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon   Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2015 1:40 pm

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:

JUST A LITTLE REDNECK IN US? lol!
Back to top Go down
stewzer55

stewzer55

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon   Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2015 1:59 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:

JUST A LITTLE REDNECK IN US? lol!

Some of us more than others! geek
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon   Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2015 3:35 pm

so,. some of you are doing the deliverance thing? that little bit of a redneck in you??

Not that there's anything wrong with it,..

sooooooooeeeeeeee,,......
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon   Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2015 9:16 am

If you remove the rear glass you can get the shop crane further in too. 2 bolts and the sturts and it's off.

I didn't move an engine, but a complete rear end.  I didn't remove the tailgate glass and it would have made it alot easier as the rear was half falling off the tailgate... engine block would be easier as it's not as long...
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon   Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2015 10:35 am

phantom 309 wrote:
so,. some of you are doing the deliverance thing?  that little bit of a redneck in you??

Not that there's anything wrong with it,..

sooooooooeeeeeeee,,......
If only Burt Renoyds could have got there just a little sooner....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon   Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2015 2:55 pm

If only you guys knew how much stuff I've hauled in my wagons.....Just a couple months ago I hauled a complete 350 Chevy (minus carb and distributer) with no problems.
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon   Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2015 2:01 pm

Yep, no problem. Did a '76 305 out of my old Malibu wagon in the back. Lots of plastic wrap and no mess.
It can be done Shocked
Back to top Go down
GMjonn

GMjonn

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon   Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2015 4:00 pm

Andebe wrote:
Part of the fun of owning a wagon is seeing what you can haul in it. Gor for it...and I second Freds idea on the plastic signs. They are slick lil boogers.

Beware of slick little boogers and secure your load. One time a long time ago when I worked for a Chrysler dealership I drove a full size wagon down to the parts depot to pick up a brand new short block that was in a cardboard box and strapped to a pallet. The back seat was down and some sort of matting was in place to make it easier to slide things in and out as this was also used as a parts delivery vehicle.

Heading back from the depot I was forced to slam on the brakes while going at a good clip to avoid some one who pulled out in front of me and  dammed if that pallet didnt slide the whole 9 or so feet down the inside of the wagon and slam into the back of the seat so hard i'm suprised it didnt bend the frame.
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon   Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2015 9:32 am

We'll, that's credits to a wagon again... Very Happy
Pete
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon   Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Transporting a wagon long block in a wagon
Page 1 of 1