GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Transporting a glass hatch?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

Transporting a glass hatch? Empty
PostSubject: Transporting a glass hatch?   Transporting a glass hatch? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2015 10:47 pm

I'm going to try to pick up a glass hatch from a wagon in a Seattle wrecking yard for another Portland wagon owner. We are going to Vancouver BC next weekend for a few days, but we are taking our Subaru wagon, not the Roadmaster. (long story, but the steering is so loose my wife won't drive it).

I did a quick measurement and shockingly the rear glass won't fit sideways in the Subaru hatch. I will have my girls in the backseat, so I don't really want it hanging over the rear seat for safety. So that leaves the roof rack.

Any tips on lashing it to the roof? I figure I can either go lengthwise, or across. Neither is ideal, but in both cases hopefully I can cushion it and strap it down so it doesn't slide around and get whacked so it won't break.

I'm leaning towards laying it down lengthwise so the wind pushes it down, and doesn't try to lift it up.

If y'all say I'm nuts, the next option is to pull it and leave it somewhere and have it delivered or picked up later.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jewelorjalopy.com
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a glass hatch?   Transporting a glass hatch? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 12:35 am

Bring cardboard and a large furniture blanket.  Wrap it in cardboard, tape it up then wrap in furniture blanket and tape it all tightly.   Should be fine to lash it to your roof rack as long as you keep the curvature down and tie off both length and edgewise.  Even if it rains and gets soaked nothing will be hurt as a big tight bundle secured to roof.  If the glass is gone when you get there (or if they crush the wagon by then) give me a shout as I have an extra in my garage.
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a glass hatch?   Transporting a glass hatch? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 12:44 am

Sounds good, if I can't figure this out maybe the dude down here can figure out a way to get yours at a future date.

Thanks for the offer. Next time I'm up your way solo I'd love to say hi.

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a glass hatch?   Transporting a glass hatch? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 8:34 am

The recommendations for transporting the glass are good. Padding is the key. It does not make any difference whether it has the curve up or down. Get the hinges if the inserts for the glass bolts if they are not rusted out, and the third brake light just for parts. 

My question is why is your steering so sloppy on the RM? If it is the box, you can adjust it. The most wear is in the thrust bearing on the input shaft. You need a spanner, and something to loosen the lock ring (large screwdriver and hammer). Turn the steering from left to right until you are at the center, to take up any slack (do not turn it from the right), then tighten the adjuster until it is tight, and back it off 1/2 inch around the perimeter...tighten the lock ring with out the adjuster moving. There is another adjustment, but you have to bench test it. If it is the linkage, the parts are relative easy to replace it. The rag joint can be replaced with a kit from your local parts store.
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a glass hatch?   Transporting a glass hatch? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 9:21 am

Thanks Fred, I will tackle the steering after the trip. I know some of the steering linkage is relatively new so I plan to check the box and rag joint. Alfa boxes loosen up and need periodic adjustment too.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a glass hatch?   Transporting a glass hatch? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2015 12:30 pm

you may also want to build up under the glass with cardboard between the roof and glass for some support, especially under the area where you lash it down.
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a glass hatch?   Transporting a glass hatch? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2015 1:18 am

Did you get the glass home safely?
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a glass hatch?   Transporting a glass hatch? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2015 1:51 pm

I never got the chance. When I got to the yard this is what I found. Idiots.

Transporting a glass hatch? 20150201_113353

I'm not sure what was so valuable in the trunk that they had to break the window to get at it. Front what I can tell the hatch was unlocked. Idiots. And that's not the word I'm really saying here.

But I was able to score a bunch of parts I was looking for including:

Front bumper in decent shape. Passenger side trim has a small dent, but mine is perfect.
Dash face with double DIN opening
Rear cargo area trim, both side pieces plus both speaker covers.
Rear gate trim piece
Seatbelt anchor covers
Two front door aluminum trim strips
Ashtray

I think most of the green paint will power wash off the bumper, so painting will be minimal hopefully since it's already green!

I was hoping to grab the side view mirrors but one was gone, the other broken.
The front driver spear was missing
I didn't have time to grab the passenger seatbelt

So bummer about the glass, but a friend and I have a line on a full parts car that might donate the engine for him, more trim for me!

And of course, the photos. You can see the rest of the trim in the trunk in the first shot.

Transporting a glass hatch? 20150201_132554

My daughter (and wife) wondering what dad is up to again:

Transporting a glass hatch? 20150201_132529

We made it home without incident, speeding a bit at times to catch the super bowl. Big thanks to my wife for taking the kids out to lunch for an hour while I grabbed these parts.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a glass hatch?   Transporting a glass hatch? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2015 10:08 pm

You should have grabbed the rear wiper.
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a glass hatch?   Transporting a glass hatch? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2015 10:24 pm

If I get a chance to go back up I can grab more wagon specific parts if they're still there. I ran out of time, wanted more, but also didn't want to keep my girls waiting too long. We still had a 3 hour drive after this.
Back to top Go down
StriperSS

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a glass hatch?   Transporting a glass hatch? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2015 6:37 am

I have rear glass if anyone needs one. Can be boxed and shipped. I'm near Edmonton.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a glass hatch?   Transporting a glass hatch? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2015 7:15 am

unfortunately, most folks who don't own these cars know how to get in the rear without breaking the glass and without a key or battery, it won't open 'normally' Sad

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a glass hatch?   Transporting a glass hatch? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2015 8:57 am

Even those who own these wagons do not care, and break the glass anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transporting a glass hatch?   Transporting a glass hatch? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Transporting a glass hatch?
Page 1 of 1