GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Oil pressure gauge question

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
rauldelp

rauldelp

Oil pressure gauge question Empty
PostSubject: Oil pressure gauge question   Oil pressure gauge question Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2015 12:23 pm

I just replaced the oil pressure switch on my 94 Caprice, with the truck sending unit. (I don't remember the part number, just the AC Delco 0-60psi unit), and I also removed the resistor from the wiring harness. Hot idle I'm a little below the middle of the gauge. When driving it moves into the middle of the "good" range.

My question is, can I use the gauge markings to give a general PSI reading? As in, 60 psi would be gauge pegged, 30psi would be in the middle of the gauge, or is it still just an idiot gauge that moves a little now? scratch

In any case I'm pleased as punch that the old girlie seems to be putting out good pressure with 200K on the motor.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Oil pressure gauge question   Oil pressure gauge question Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2015 1:33 pm

I have one that reads from 8-30 psi with the engine running at different speeds. The other one reads 25-60 psi with the engine running at different speeds. They both have new Melling standard duty oil pumps less than 3 years ago. You should run a mechanical gauge in parallel to calibrate your gauge.
Back to top Go down
MalibuSSwagon

PostSubject: Re: Oil pressure gauge question   Oil pressure gauge question Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2015 1:44 pm

I believe you'd need a 9C1 gauge to read actual oil pressure, the civi unit is more of an "idiot gauge". Good news is it's easy to swap out just the gauge.
Back to top Go down
rauldelp

rauldelp

PostSubject: Re: Oil pressure gauge question   Oil pressure gauge question Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2015 3:42 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
You should run a mechanical gauge in parallel to calibrate your gauge.

Then once I know the range, remove and move the needle to where it reads properly? Or since I'm planning a few gauges, (a tach for one) running a mechanical oil pressure won't be too bad of an idea?

Crazy how far out the factory one is. I wonder if we got the rejects from the 9C1 clusters?
Back to top Go down
JaySS
Admin
JaySS

PostSubject: Re: Oil pressure gauge question   Oil pressure gauge question Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2015 11:23 pm

rauldelp wrote:
Then once I know the range, remove and move the needle to where it reads properly? Or since I'm planning a few gauges, (a tach for one) running a mechanical oil pressure won't be too bad of an idea?

Crazy how far out the factory one is. I wonder if we got the rejects from the 9C1 clusters?

Most of these issues were documented a long time ago. May as well start learning this stuff now rather than struggle with trial & error:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
rauldelp

rauldelp

PostSubject: Re: Oil pressure gauge question   Oil pressure gauge question Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2015 11:38 pm

Awesome resource, thanks! Good bedtime studies at least. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Oil pressure gauge question   Oil pressure gauge question Icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2015 8:06 pm

JaySS wrote:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

server not found?
Back to top Go down
rauldelp

rauldelp

PostSubject: Re: Oil pressure gauge question   Oil pressure gauge question Icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2015 8:18 pm

I ran into that too. It looks like all the instructions are further down the page in order, but the anchor links don't work anymore. I used the find function to get what I needed
Back to top Go down
JaySS
Admin
JaySS

PostSubject: Re: Oil pressure gauge question   Oil pressure gauge question Icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2015 10:21 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
server not found?

Thanks for pointing that out - for anyone that is unfamiliar with the documents, they were created nearly 20 years ago and the original author has long since moved on.

Unfortunately, the quick links still point to the original impala.homeip.net website.

So these copies require one to manually scroll through the document to get to the desired info.

- J

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil pressure gauge question   Oil pressure gauge question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oil pressure gauge question
Page 1 of 1