GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Exterior mirror help needed

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
silverfox103
silverfox103

Exterior mirror help needed Empty
PostSubject: Exterior mirror help needed   Exterior mirror help needed Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 11:03 am

The up/down function on my driver door exterior mirror quit working.  I have an extra mirror, wrong color.  I would like to swap the "guts" to fix the problems.  I have done something similar, but it's been a while.  Anyone have any tips for taking the mirror apart.  It is a 91 to 94 style.  Not 100% sure, but I think the mirror part pops out, like a ball and socket.

thanks

Tom
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Exterior mirror help needed   Exterior mirror help needed Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2015 11:24 am

Got it! Mirror can be gently pried out, allowing access to everything.

Tom
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Exterior mirror help needed   Exterior mirror help needed Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2018 3:36 pm

Hello All, having the same issue on my '96 Roady wagon.   The mirror moves in and out fine, but will not go up/down anymore.   Anyone taken one of these larger mirrors apart? I know the housing is more flimsy than the older smaller mirrors. Don't want to mess anything up but hate having "broken" things on my car!

Thanks in advance!

-Texas Mike
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Exterior mirror help needed   Exterior mirror help needed Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2018 4:59 pm

"but will not go up/down anymore"

You might want to check the switch with a meter, and look at the cable that flexes when the door is opened before attacking the mirror itself.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Exterior mirror help needed   Exterior mirror help needed Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2018 5:34 pm

Rev Bob wrote:
"but will not go up/down anymore"

You might want to check the switch with a meter, and look at the cable that flexes when the door is opened before attacking the mirror itself.

When I flip the switch to the passenger side, that mirror works perfectly, so that tells me the issue is in the driver's mirror itself.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Exterior mirror help needed   Exterior mirror help needed Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2018 8:52 pm

I have an NIB GM OEM DS mirror if you need.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Exterior mirror help needed   Exterior mirror help needed Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2018 9:17 am

jasonlachapelle wrote:
I have an NIB GM OEM DS mirror if you need.

That's tempting! I was hoping to just figure out a way to get this one apart. Would have to paint a new mirror I'd think.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Exterior mirror help needed   Exterior mirror help needed Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2018 5:26 pm

I've had luck on sticky mirrors pushing gently to firmly in the direction I am trying to move it. They sometimes get stuck, I think.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Exterior mirror help needed   Exterior mirror help needed Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2018 2:45 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
I've had luck on sticky mirrors pushing gently to firmly in the direction I am trying to move it.  They sometimes get stuck, I think.

When I push on it, the mirror glass itself, it just clicks...
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Exterior mirror help needed   Exterior mirror help needed Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2018 9:35 am

OK I got on the Impala forum and found this:

The mirror ('glass') is held on with a small metal 'cross' behind it that snaps onto the glass (2 legs) and the 'motor' (other 2 legs). If you move/push the outer edge of the glass as far toward the back of the car as you can, you'll be able to see behind the glass. Take a small screwdriver and gently pry between the cross and the motor and it will pop off. Don't worry, because the glass is still 'held on' by two 'connection shafts' to the motor (these control up/down & L/R). Once you get both legs of the cross loose (from either the glass or the motor) you can pull the glass straight out.

When you go to re-assemble it the two 'shafts' just push back into the motor (there is no 'alignment/indexing' required, the mirror motors are 'open ended', they just turn until you are happy with the mirror's position, or the mirror has reached the limits of its travel).

I have not tried this yet myself, but am planning to hit the salvage yard this weekend and will try it there first. We'll see! Thought this might help someone else.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Exterior mirror help needed   Exterior mirror help needed Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2019 9:53 am

I still haven't fixed my driver's door mirror on my '96 wagon. It will out and in but not up and down. I tried to take a mirror apart in the salvage yard and broke the glass. There has GOT to be a trick...hate having broken things on my car....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Exterior mirror help needed   Exterior mirror help needed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Exterior mirror help needed
Page 1 of 1