GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Brake light won't go on

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Shnalla

Shnalla

Brake light won't go on Empty
PostSubject: Brake light won't go on   Brake light won't go on Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 12:34 pm

Hi,

On my 84 caprice, brake light recently quit working. Bulbs are fine.
Emergency flasher, turn signals and lamp works.
I guess the brake light switch has a problem. How can check it ?

Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Brake light won't go on   Brake light won't go on Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 1:33 pm

There is a brake light switch on the brake pedal arm. It's just a make / brake contact switch. Sometimes a little WD40 or similar sprayed on the switch will do the trick or you may have to replace. They are not expensive.

Tom
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Brake light won't go on   Brake light won't go on Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 7:04 pm

Shnalla wrote:
Hi,

On my 84 caprice, brake light recently quit working. Bulbs are fine.
Emergency flasher, turn signals and lamp works.
I guess the brake light switch has a problem. How can check it ?

It's one of those problems where you need to stick your head under the dash and look at the switch,.
you can push it out of its bracket,.it has a plunger, i,m not sure if yours will have a torque converter lockup plug too,..pull the plug off and jump the wires with a paper clip,. if the brake lights come on then you know you have 12v,. if no power check the fuse
Back to top Go down
Shnalla

Shnalla

PostSubject: Re: Brake light won't go on   Brake light won't go on Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 1:55 am

Thanks for your help!
To be honest I really hate electrical issues...

The brake light switch looks exactly like that (two plugs)
Brake light won't go on D862C_Primary__ra_p

Tom, I will try the paper clip trick Wink

Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Brake light won't go on   Brake light won't go on Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 6:18 am

OK, I'll ask the D'Oh questions...I assume both brake lights are out, not just one side, correct? Do you have a circuit tester? If not, a trip to the local Bauhaus may be in order. A multi-tester (VOM) is not expensive and they are very useful for troubleshooting voltage/continuity issues. Have you tried a new bulb or two? Filament breaks are not always visible to the naked eye. Same goes for faulty fuses.
Back to top Go down
Shnalla

Shnalla

PostSubject: Re: Brake light won't go on   Brake light won't go on Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 7:56 am

dmg4 wrote:
OK, I'll ask the D'Oh questions...I assume both brake lights are out, not just one side, correct?  Do you have a circuit tester?  If not, a trip to the local Bauhaus may be in order.  A multi-tester (VOM) is not expensive and they are very useful for troubleshooting voltage/continuity issues.  Have you tried a new bulb or two?  Filament breaks are not always visible to the naked eye.  Same goes for faulty fuses.

Yep, both brake lights are out (did check bulbs & sockets).
And yes, I have a circuit tester, I'll re check both bulbs and fuses. Then I'll try brake light switch.
Back to top Go down
Shnalla

Shnalla

PostSubject: Re: Brake light won't go on   Brake light won't go on Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 12:46 pm

I spent some time under the dash and managed to open the brake light switch.
It's really a simple mechanical switch. After cleaning every metal brushes inside, it finally works fine!

Problem solved! Thank you all for your help Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brake light won't go on   Brake light won't go on Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brake light won't go on
Page 1 of 1