GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Door Handle and Lock Install

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Wagon Collector

Wagon Collector

Door Handle and Lock Install Empty
PostSubject: Door Handle and Lock Install   Door Handle and Lock Install Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 3:37 pm

Thought I'd snap a few pictures of the body-colored handle install and the door lock "blackening"... These techniques worked for me so I thought I'd share.

For the front doors, I popped the rear of the window out of it's guide and lifted it out of the door a bit. I then pulled the weatherstripping from the track and out the top. This will give you enough access to get to the handle nuts:

Door Handle and Lock Install Handle1

I didn't try to unhook the wire that goes from the handle to the latch while in the door - it is too tight in there. Just carefully pull it through the door as shown. You might want to mask the area to avoid scratches. Once outside the door, you can unhook the wire from the original handle and back onto the new handle:

Door Handle and Lock Install Handle2

For the rear doors, I was able to leave the window up and pull the weatherstripping up as shown. It's still very, very tight back there due to the guide rail for the weatherstripping. By sheer luck I was able to get the nuts back in place. Again, you want to attach the actuation wire outside the door. I also used a grinder on the rivets that hold the door handle support and removed it. Much more room that way. Some short #10 bolts will replace the rivets:

Door Handle and Lock Install Handle3

For the locks, head down to a well-stocked automotive locksmith and get a black keyhole cover and spring door. Bend and snip the original cover off the lock. I used some end-cut wire cutters:

Door Handle and Lock Install Key1

Next, just place the black hardware over the original lock:

Door Handle and Lock Install Key2

Finally, bend the four tabs over on the back:

Door Handle and Lock Install Key3

The final results are good - way better than the originals that I didn't mask off before using a bunch of compound on the car. Yeah, the car's pretty dirty...

Door Handle and Lock Install Handle4
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Door Handle and Lock Install   Door Handle and Lock Install Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 4:35 pm

Nice. I had no idea that the black parts on the lock cylinder were replaceable!
Back to top Go down
Wagon Collector

Wagon Collector

PostSubject: Re: Door Handle and Lock Install   Door Handle and Lock Install Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 6:36 am

jayoldschool wrote:
Nice. I had no idea that the black parts on the lock cylinder were replaceable!

Yeah. I bought a set of covers and spring doors from Dal years ago and misplaced them. I stopped by a local locksmith thinking I'd have to order them, and he had a bunch. I guess in order to re-key the lock or to make a new key for one, you need to remove the cover and install a new one. This particular locksmith had a bunch of black and a bunch of silver ones. They were $3 for the covers, $2 for the spring doors... so the black lock mod costs $10, at least at this locksmith...
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Door Handle and Lock Install   Door Handle and Lock Install Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 9:31 pm

Too bad they aren't body color,. that,d look real cool,. Razz

Nick
Back to top Go down
Wagon Collector

Wagon Collector

PostSubject: Re: Door Handle and Lock Install   Door Handle and Lock Install Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 7:15 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
Too bad they aren't body color,. that,d look real cool,. Razz

Nick

That would be sweet. I thought about painting some, but I got bad aim with keys, so that was a no go.

I suppose if I had a remote unlock thingy the paint would hold out pretty well...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Door Handle and Lock Install   Door Handle and Lock Install Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Door Handle and Lock Install
Page 1 of 1