GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

engine stalls after rebuilt tranny

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
lakeffect

lakeffect

engine stalls after rebuilt tranny Empty
PostSubject: engine stalls after rebuilt tranny   engine stalls after rebuilt tranny Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2016 11:25 am

After the engine was rebuilt for for main bearings, my son and I had issues with hooking up the transmission, only to find the tranny fluid pump wasn't enguaging, The fluid was dark, black, burned so I took the car in to have the tranny pump rebuilt and the whole transmission freshened with new bands and clutches.

After installation the engine runs but immediately stalls when going into reverse or forward from either park or neutral. The only way found to move it is rev it up and dump it into gear. Once moving it shudders to a halt when coming to a stop. It feels identical to having a manual transmission and forgetting to put in the clutch when coming to a stop.

I think the converter clutch is permanently locked up.

I've read elsewhere that the likelyood is either the harness is shorted and therefore is grounding the ECM signal, causing the solinoid to throw the "valve" to lock it up TCC slider valve has been put in backwards,

Or that the spring(s) are on the wrong end of the shaft, pushing it in wrong direction regardless of solinoid operation.

The shop denies any responsibility that it could be their fault that a tranny malfunctioning that was just rebuilt by them could be the problem. "Must be a driveability issue the way I programmed the ECM" after a fresh motor rebuild (for bearings) even though it was the same program running the motor as before the rebuild.

From our on sticky on the Topic:

14. TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) always locked: TCC apply solenoid circuit shorted to ground, TCC solenoid blockage, or TC broken (must remove trans and replace TC).

This of course presumes factory unit, not rebuilt, so add " TCC slider valve and/or springs assembled backwards" to the list if problem is after a rebuild

Your input on diagnosis of the problem is welcome.

Dave
Back to top Go down
MG Davis

MG Davis

PostSubject: Re: engine stalls after rebuilt tranny   engine stalls after rebuilt tranny Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2016 11:53 am

Sounds like the shop needs to suffer some penalties. ;-)
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: engine stalls after rebuilt tranny   engine stalls after rebuilt tranny Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2016 11:56 am

Will "try " to have them remove and correct the TCC problem first. Otherwise taking them to court soon.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: engine stalls after rebuilt tranny   engine stalls after rebuilt tranny Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2016 1:21 pm

If you paid with a credit card, you can appeal to the credit card company. They usually reverse the charge until you are satisfied.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: engine stalls after rebuilt tranny   engine stalls after rebuilt tranny Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2016 9:56 pm

Unplug the harness,. if the problem persists,.it's internal,.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: engine stalls after rebuilt tranny   engine stalls after rebuilt tranny Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2016 11:44 pm

Thanks Nick. We unplugged the connector this afternoon. The car has been sitting from when it was brought home Saturday Morning.

The problem still persists. We drive took the vehicle back to the repair shoptonight, aso it will be there when they get there.

Fred, thanks for the idea of protesting the charge. I will do so.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: engine stalls after rebuilt tranny   engine stalls after rebuilt tranny Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

engine stalls after rebuilt tranny
Page 1 of 1