GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Empty
PostSubject: I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!   I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 1:42 pm

I like this:

I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Montecarlowheel

What would be involved in a swap? It looks much sportier and better than the wheel the wagons have... Would look nice in red. Smile
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!   I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 2:56 pm

Stewart has his red on the Roadmonster,and to be honest,it is the only thing he did (along with his name and hers on the doors) that makes the car look cheezie. Just my opinion,but here is what it looks like.

I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! More-interior-shots-April-15-2009-0
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!   I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 3:14 pm

lol for a min.

I dunno if there are other red accents, I think it's fine.... I thought about goiing to a red/grey two tone interior on Ruby but have since changed my mind.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!   I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 3:19 pm

No no no, not a red accent.

That steering wheel is from the Jeff Gordon Monte Carlo. I could get one from the regular MC (no radio controls I think?) and make the whole wheel red, like my interior.

I don't like the two-tone look. I would want it one color. No cheesiness or ricer-ness for my wagon.
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!   I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 5:26 pm

Stingroo wrote:
No no no, not a red accent.

OMG thats precious rite there. I will attempt to explain for ya. Razz Razz Razz

This is a two tone red accent

I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Hyundai_accent_tuning-

This,a red accent,sprocket language

I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! ImagesCA1XQ438

But wait,there is also red axe scent as well.

I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! 1
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!   I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 5:27 pm

I fail to find the funny in your post at all.
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!   I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 5:37 pm

I think sprocket means accents as in the color red being in the interior,like a door handle,or console etc. Then the two tone wheel woukld blend better than in the grey interior Stewart has.

I took your post as you thinking the wheel was from an accent,and wanted it clear that it was in fact from a Monte, Two different definitions of the same word.

If thats not the case,sorry,carry on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!   I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 5:39 pm

Yeah, the wheel in the picture is two-tone, but I don't necessarily want a two-tone one. I would settle for the wheel from the regular Monte Carlo SS (not the JG edition) which from what I saw on eBay is the same, but not two-tone.

But my question is: what is involved in switching steering wheels? How is it done, what parts are needed, etc.?
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!   I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 5:49 pm

I get you now. I initially thought you liked that half and half wheel in your post,and thats why I posted Stewarts .

I have had my wheel off and had it painted. It required a wheel puller after removing the airbag.

I have bought an SS wheel,which is all leather wrapped,not like the pics posted,and will be painting it red.

Have some members post up their wheels,I know Nick has the Red Lumina one if you are looking for a sportier one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!   I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 5:51 pm

I like the Monte Carlo wheel; it has an airbag. Airbags are good. lol

So you have one of those but all leather wrapped? How do you paint them? Pics? I really like that wheel.
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!   I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 5:57 pm

This is the wheel in the car now. The dash,column,wheel were blue and the console was grey.

The body shop painted it for me,and the new leather wheel will also be done by them.

I dream,they make them come true.

I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Nokeys
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!   I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 7:00 am

Hmmmm.... really wish I had that version of the dash now, lol.

Curse you, horizontal speedometer!
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!   I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 10:37 pm

oh you can change that horizontal dash out. I have some TBI RMW dashes around if you really want to swap.....all you need is a dash surround from a TBI 9c1. So far I've only resued one from the JY and have plans for it.... Smile I'll keep my eyes open for ya
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!   I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 10:38 pm

You're tempting me. A lot. Sad lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!   I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 12:12 am

Not to double post, but what does the 9c1 surround look like? Maybe this is a much more worthy mod than the steering wheel.

Would I need the same kind of surround for an OCC cluster? Because like... me likey tach.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!   I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 7:56 pm

the 9C1 surround will fit the RMW or OCC cluster. I have extras of both but the OCC one is not for sale. I have 2 RMW clusters (they have tachs too). I make you good deal Smile

the 9c1 TBI cars had the same cutout with a digital speedo and analog tach (bigger rectangle). I'm kicking myself I didn't grab the one I saw at the JY 1.5 years ago.....

Due to the TBI caprice pass side having the 'dip' in the dash is why you need said surround.
Of course you could put a whole RMW or OCC (interchangeable really) dash into a cappy....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!   I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 8:24 pm

No no, whole dashes are WAY too much work.

Hell, even a cluster swap is sort of beyond my abilities. lol You have to remember I was excited I managed to change a brake line.

I found crappy part time work, maybe I'll make it down your way sometime. Or if nothing else, the weekend of our little Caddy shindig (which this is now the 3rd reminder for you Razz) I'll venture toward your place.
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!   I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 10:13 am

You can mount a tach anywhere dude. A pillar - ashtray - on the front of the gauge bezel - whatever.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!   I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 10:40 am

Pillar tachs are well... tacky Laughing

And I have an idea for my ashtray already... a permanently fixed GPS. Smile I want to keep the interior clean.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!   I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 11:09 am

Stingroo wrote:
Pillar tachs are well... tacky Laughing

THANK YOU. I *almost* put a pillar boost gauge in my VW. Two things stopped me, the fact they are ugly as hell and the fact there is an airbag in the A-Pillar Exclamation
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!   I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 11:10 am

No no no. I hate them. They're very Honda Civic-y.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!   I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 11:11 am

Stingroo wrote:
No no no. I hate them. They're very Honda Civic-y.

That said, I still want a boost gauge in my car. But I might mount one on the steering column. Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!   I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 11:12 am

Steering column boost gauges are pretty cool, sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!   I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 11:15 am

Stingroo wrote:

This is what the one i'm looking at would look like:

I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! 3209_x300
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!   I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 11:22 am

Cadet57 wrote:
Stingroo wrote:

THAT dash has a TURBO gauge because it's in a frickin TURBO deeezul VeeDubya.

WTF would you want a boost gauge on your lames assed NON-TURBO'd TBI motor for anyway. You already have a speedometer to tell you how fast you're not going and a radio to drown out the exhaust gasket leak. That's all you need.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!   I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 11:24 am

He's referring to his VW, which I presume is turbocharged.

I have no interest in a boost gauge, because alas, I do not have a turbocharger. I like to eat rice, not keep it on my car.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!   I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 11:26 am

Bewber wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:
Stingroo wrote:

THAT dash has a TURBO gauge because it's in a frickin TURBO deeezul VeeDubya.

WTF would you want a boost gauge on your lames assed NON-TURBO'd TBI motor for anyway. You already have a speedometer to tell you how fast you're not going and a radio to drown out the exhaust gasket leak. That's all you need.

No. On my TURBO Volkswagen, which isnt a diesel, thou I wish it was:

I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! 2009-12-13134735
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!   I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 11:29 am

Damn you. I miss my TDI Jetta alot - just not the repairs and maintenance costs. Mine was the SAME exact color too. Cool car bro.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!   I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 11:32 am

Bewber wrote:
Damn you. I miss my TDI Jetta alot - just not the repairs and maintenance costs. Mine was the SAME exact color too. Cool car bro.

Thanks. That black grill is now silver, *thankfully*, looks much better now. And I hear ya on the maintenance costs. But I found a great independent VW shop that is half the price of the $tealership. Its a father and son, they do a great job. That said, I still love my VW and when it goes, if I dont get a Buick Enclave, I'm gettin another VW, probably diesel too, the new diesel is a phenomenal car.

I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Dd6d0ebe-1
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!   I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 12:13 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Not to double post, but what does the 9c1 surround look like?

This....

I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! 1002333j

I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! 100_2332
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!   I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 12:28 pm

What killed my Vdub for me was two things - #1 - when the heater core crapped out, it was a $500 LABOR bill at a guys HOUSE because the entire dash, including pedals has to be removed to swap in the new one, and the #2 was that when it came time to change the timing belt - it was $400 for the PARTS KIT that didn't include the very specialty Vdubb timing set tools.

I was getting killer mileage, but by the time I added in the ridiculous parts and repairs costs just to keep it going, I wasn't ahead at all. I said fuggit and went with a 97 Cavalier that - when it came time to change out the timing belt, I could do it MYSELF for about $20 in the autozone parking lot.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!   I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 1:43 pm

Bewber wrote:
#2 was that when it came time to change the timing belt - it was $400 for the PARTS KIT that didn't include the very specialty Vdubb timing set tools.

Idk if the TDi is different, but the timing belt on the 1.8T runs $1200 at the dealer. Thankfully, I did not pay that. I bought the kit from ECS Tuning for like 3 something and did it myself. No specialty tools needed minus a belt wrench.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!   I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I appear to be scheming again... steering wheels?!
Page 1 of 1