GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Stripped sway bar bushing hole

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Haze5736

Stripped sway bar bushing hole Empty
PostSubject: Stripped sway bar bushing hole   Stripped sway bar bushing hole Icon_minitimeSun May 28, 2017 9:21 am

I managed to strip one of the sway bar bushing bolt holes in the frame. I think I cross threaded it, so I need to go larger and tap the hole. The head of the bolt needs to be relatively small diameter so it looks like standard hex head bolts won't work. I don't think there is enough clearance on the mounting bracket. Or is there? Has anyone had to deal with this?
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Stripped sway bar bushing hole   Stripped sway bar bushing hole Icon_minitimeSun May 28, 2017 11:07 am

you're correct, a normal hex head won't work. As replacement bolts I use stainless bolts that have an allen head (you use an allen key to tighten them). I don't think you've got much wiggle room in terms of tapping. There's not much material to bite into.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Stripped sway bar bushing hole   Stripped sway bar bushing hole Icon_minitimeSun May 28, 2017 8:13 pm

you can get a flanged nut and drill hole so the nut fits in but the flange doesn't and weld the flange to the frame
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Stripped sway bar bushing hole   Stripped sway bar bushing hole Icon_minitimeSun May 28, 2017 9:48 pm

A large nutsert/rivnut could work. They make them in a lot of sizes. Some are fairly large.
Back to top Go down
Haze5736

PostSubject: Re: Stripped sway bar bushing hole   Stripped sway bar bushing hole Icon_minitimeMon May 29, 2017 8:51 am

I never heard of nutserts or rivnuts before. I just looked them up and it seems like the perfect solution. The oem bolt is an M10 x 1.5. Based on the specs below I should be able to use an M10 nutsert so I can reuse the oem bolt. Is that right? I will have to drill the stripped hole to 13.5mm.

Diameter:M10
Finish:Yellow Zinc
Grip Range:0.70mm - 3.80mm
Head Diameter:17.40mm
Head Style:Low Profile
Hole Size:13.5mm
Length:17.53mm
Material:Steel
REACH:Y
Thread Size:1.5
Trade Name:Nutsert
Type:Rivet Nut
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Stripped sway bar bushing hole   Stripped sway bar bushing hole Icon_minitimeMon May 29, 2017 9:04 am

You will have to drill the hole slightly to allow the insert to fit through; Hole size is 13.5mm. Then you tighten the insert into the hole to provide the threaded surface. Measure the thickness of the frame to make sure the grip range is sufficient. 1mm = .03934 inches, so 3.8 is about .15 inches. If I am correct, the thickness of the frame is about .125 inches, so it should be fine.

You can make an inexpensive tool to install the insert with a long M10 x 1.5 socket head cap screw, washer and nut. Place the nut on the screw, then the washer...screw it in the nutsert/rivnut, and turn the nut against the insert while holding the screw with an Allen wrench, until it compresses the back of insert against the frame, and is tight.
Back to top Go down
Haze5736

PostSubject: Re: Stripped sway bar bushing hole   Stripped sway bar bushing hole Icon_minitimeSun Jun 04, 2017 6:35 am

I got the rivnut installed, it worked out perfect. I ended up buying a variety pack of rivnuts as I can see them being useful for lots of repairs.

It seems the frame is reinforced where the bolts go through. It was 2 to 3 times as thick as the rest of the frame. There was still enough rivnut to grab on securely.

I first made the tool out of a hex head screw, nut and washer. The rivnut would spin with the nut. So I made the version where you drill a hole in a grinder wrench and tighten the nut against the wrench. The wrench would hit against a part and hold itself in place. Now I have a hole in my grinder wrench so I can hang it for easy access.

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Stripped sway bar bushing hole   Stripped sway bar bushing hole Icon_minitimeSun Jun 04, 2017 8:15 am

So, you made a washer with a handle. Good job.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stripped sway bar bushing hole   Stripped sway bar bushing hole Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stripped sway bar bushing hole
Page 1 of 1