GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Roof rack bar clamps

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
lamune

lamune

Roof rack bar clamps Empty
PostSubject: Roof rack bar clamps   Roof rack bar clamps Icon_minitimeSun Jul 30, 2017 11:44 pm

Are there any roof rack clamps that fit the stock GM factory bars on the wagons?

I want to install some Yakima bike carriers I already own up there, but their solution is to buy a new set of towers and bars and it's not cheap.

Maybe with some bar clamps I could fab something that'll get the job done.

Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Roof rack bar clamps   Roof rack bar clamps Icon_minitimeMon Jul 31, 2017 8:09 am

Hi lamune

I have a Thule set up, I believe the bars are 1 1/4" by 1" (I would have to measure to be 100% sure).  I think I have read that Thule's stuff might be compatible with Yamaha's.

Anyways, I have a carrier that I have used on a Lincoln Aviator and Suburban, both using the existing roof rack.  I have never tried it on my wagon.

The bars span the roof rack and connect through these gizmos. Then they strap around the roof rack and lock with a key. It's easy and works great. CL is my friend for finding this stuff.

Good Luck

Tom

Roof rack bar clamps Thule_10
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Roof rack bar clamps   Roof rack bar clamps Icon_minitimeMon Jul 31, 2017 2:09 pm

Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Roof rack bar clamps   Roof rack bar clamps Icon_minitimeMon Jul 31, 2017 2:11 pm

Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Roof rack bar clamps   Roof rack bar clamps Icon_minitimeMon Jul 31, 2017 2:23 pm

Roof rack bar clamps 20131110

This is by far the simplest and most convenient way to go.  Works great for bikes and local canoe travel.

Roof rack bar clamps 20140812

Do to the lack of spread between the two bars on the Roadmaster when I am carrying more than one canoe for some distance, I like to add the front crossbars over the front doors. See below.  This is ROCK solid.

Roof rack bar clamps 20140811

Roof rack bar clamps 20140810

Also watch craigslist. I have bought most all of my stuff on the list for pennies on the dollar with the high cost of Thule or Yakama.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Roof rack bar clamps   Roof rack bar clamps Icon_minitimeMon Jul 31, 2017 2:56 pm

Tim is correct.

With the Aviator and Suburban, it's possible to run the strap underneath the rails. The B wagons, it is not (I never looked, but should have known.) Like Tim, I would never buy any of that stuff new, there is an abundance of it kicking around..........and cheap. I spotted one in a yard sale in Atlanta....a beautiful shape container, the bars and the gizmos that connect to the rails........$40. The box alone, people try to get $400 to $600 (not from me).
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Roof rack bar clamps   Roof rack bar clamps Icon_minitimeMon Jul 31, 2017 4:11 pm

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:

The previous owner of my former black WB4 had one of those things, and it caused rust on the roof, that eventually perforated. Not saying it's a bad product, just that it might be a good idea to protect the roof paint somehow. Only B-car I've seen with a perforated roof.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Roof rack bar clamps   Roof rack bar clamps Icon_minitimeMon Jul 31, 2017 9:06 pm

jasonlachapelle wrote:
BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:

The previous owner of my former black WB4 had one of those things, and it caused rust on the roof, that eventually perforated.  Not saying it's a bad product, just that it might be a good idea to protect the roof paint somehow.  Only B-car I've seen with a perforated roof.

WOW! He must have left the rack on. I have used this many times with zero damage. But it needs to be taken off when not in use.
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: Roof rack bar clamps   Roof rack bar clamps Icon_minitimeWed Aug 02, 2017 12:54 am

Ah, yes indeed, I've seen Tim's solution and I have to say it's impressive to use a road boat to transport smaller water boats. Very Happy

What Tom shows is probably something more along the lines of what I was curious about. It looks like those clips would actually mount to the bars I've already got.

Actually, I'm not 100% sure but I believe what I have on the car is the stock, from the factory roof rack.

Thule's standard bars are square. Yakima's standard bars are round. The bike carrier has clips that would attach to either bar, but not to the flat bars I've got.

Roof rack bar clamps Wp_20112

Roof rack bar clamps Wp_20113
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Roof rack bar clamps   Roof rack bar clamps Icon_minitimeWed Aug 02, 2017 7:32 am

So as Tom pointed out in is his second post, his set up will not work on our cars as we have no front to back existing bars to attach to.

Your cross rails are the stock rails.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Roof rack bar clamps   Roof rack bar clamps Icon_minitimeWed Aug 02, 2017 10:28 am

Tim's, is the best way using parts made to do the job.  

Now that I remember, in 1999 we had to drive my oldest daughter to Marquette Univ. in Milwaukee.  We live in NH.  Then we had our family car, a 95 RMW.  I picked up a Sears XCargo box for $25 at a yard sale.  I had no way to attach.  So.....I used either existing holes, or man made holes on the bottom of the box.  Probably two holes in each corner, around the ribs in the plastic.  I then used 1/2 wide HD tie wraps and X'd them, securing the box to the rack.  It worked great, 2500 miles, didn't budge an inch.  Tim knows all about tie wraps and how strong they are.  I knew nothing would get wet, as it was on the bottom.  Just to make sure, everything was in a bag.

Lamune, I know you are a tinkerer.  Could you remove the existing RMW crossbars.  Using the thumb screw and existing spring nut in the rails, could you drill a hole in your (Thule / Yamaha) bars, attaching them to the rail as the RMW crossbars?  Now your in business.

Tom

Tom
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Roof rack bar clamps   Roof rack bar clamps Icon_minitimeWed Aug 02, 2017 11:55 am

Tie wraps and Duct tape will be used one  day to bring world peace!!!  You heard it here!

If you already have the crossbars keep an eye out on craigslist of this set up!

Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: Roof rack bar clamps   Roof rack bar clamps Icon_minitimeThu Aug 03, 2017 1:20 am

Tom, that's an interesting idea. Maybe I can make that work.

I could fab something, but I figure before I went down that path I wanted to see if there was something out there that already does what I want.

I assume the dealers must have had accessories that mounted to that roof rack, but so far I haven't seen what that may have been.
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: Roof rack bar clamps   Roof rack bar clamps Icon_minitimeThu Aug 03, 2017 3:06 am

Tim, I'll keep an eye out for those. I think they're discontinued, Yakima has "skyline towers" listed as a current fit for the RMW
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Roof rack bar clamps   Roof rack bar clamps Icon_minitimeThu Aug 03, 2017 7:23 am

These popped up on CL, not too far from me. Looks like it could be what you are looking. There are four of them. Not sure if the price is good, bad or fair.

Tom

https://nh.craigslist.org/spo/d/yakima-railrider-1/6243666670.html

Roof rack bar clamps Yakima10
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Roof rack bar clamps   Roof rack bar clamps Icon_minitimeThu Aug 03, 2017 3:09 pm

Thats not a terrible price, but you would need a set of landing pads as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roof rack bar clamps   Roof rack bar clamps Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Roof rack bar clamps
Page 1 of 1