HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Having a new windshield but want the sun gate solar coating.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
harrisons13

PostSubject: Having a new windshield but want the sun gate solar coating.   Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:08 pm

I was having some things done on my car at the body shop, and the windshield chip became a crack from the stress of removing the windshield. Long story short I need a replacement and that has been found and done at a decent price. However, is there any way to get the solar coating that the infamous Sungate Cool ones had. ThankSS!
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Having a new windshield but want the sun gate solar coating.   Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:41 am

The factory "Sungate" process was not a coating but microscopic metal particles in the glass itself. This is how it filtered out infrared heat. The metal also affects some windshield mounted toll transponders.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Having a new windshield but want the sun gate solar coating.   Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:48 am

The Sungate windows are no longer available. The only glass you can get is standard clear. As far as effectiveness of the Sungate window, the jury is still out on that. I have a 91 without it, and a 92 with it, and the interiors have about the same amount of UV damage. One of the issues with the Sungate glass is that it tends to delaminate around the edges, getting worse each year. My 92 is almost to where you can see it from the inside. All of the Sungate glass I have seen in the junk yards have had noticeable amounts of delamination.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Having a new windshield but want the sun gate solar coating.   

Back to top Go down

Having a new windshield but want the sun gate solar coating.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1