GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Another neat mod

Go down 
+7
1993 Roady-man
jayoldschool
Man from Knobstock
Sprocket
Fred Kiehl
Cletus
81X11
11 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

Another neat mod Empty
PostSubject: Another neat mod   Another neat mod Icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 12:46 pm

I replace the tall SUV-like roof rack rails on my 96 wagon with a flush-mount sliding rail from a '93 wagon. I really like this mod, adds a little chrome to the roof and also makes the car look lower and smoother.

Again, will get pics posted soon!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Another neat mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another neat mod   Another neat mod Icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 2:18 pm

Here's the before pic with the tall SUV-like roof rack rails and the after with the flush 93-style rail. The first picture is from right after I got the car. Only mod at that point was the Impala wheels. Wood trim was shot, no window tint, not detailed yet.

Another neat mod PolishedImpalaWheels004

Another neat mod PaintedTrim-Wagon009

Another neat mod RoadmasterGS012
Back to top Go down
Cletus

Cletus

Another neat mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another neat mod   Another neat mod Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 2:55 am

Those look great Mike. I took mine off for the time being but Im on the hunt for some like that. Huge improvement IMO (as if Ill ever use em) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://vulturesawait.com
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Another neat mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another neat mod   Another neat mod Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 9:24 pm

They put the tall ones on there in case someone actually would use them. I think 3 people did.

The old style look a lot cleaner. Painting them black blends with the vista window too. I have an extra chrome/aluminum crossbar for sale if you need one. There is a wagon coming to the local yard soon too.
Back to top Go down

Another neat mod Empty
PostSubject: How Much   Another neat mod Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 9:45 pm

Evening Fred,Jim "Flasheroo" here, how are things in your part of the world?My mother passed away 1 month ago today and its
slowly sinking in.Still hard to believe as I took care of her 24/7 for the last 3 years and was honored to be able to do it.
Anyhow how much do you want for that shiny roof rack shipped to 23690?
If your parents are still around tell them that you love them cause sooner than you think they will be gone!
Take Care
Jim "Flasheroo"
PS:Please forgive my off topic rambling but I consider you guys to be my friends
Back to top Go down

Another neat mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another neat mod   Another neat mod Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 7:03 am

Hey... I use my 92 rack all the time. :p
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Another neat mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another neat mod   Another neat mod Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 9:00 am

Stingroo wrote:
Hey... I use my 92 rack all the time. :p
Well, you are one of the three.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Another neat mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another neat mod   Another neat mod Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 10:28 pm

i use the tall racks for my surfboards when I have more than 2 people in the car Smile.

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Another neat mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another neat mod   Another neat mod Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 10:47 pm

That is two.
Back to top Go down
Man from Knobstock

Man from Knobstock

Another neat mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another neat mod   Another neat mod Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 11:56 pm

The use of the '93 rack system is a great idea. Now, the challenge is: how the heck to I locate some for my '95 RMW?!! Did you paint the black, and if you did, with what?

Extending the discussion to another level... I look at the original Buick Roadmaster rack "system" and I can't quite figure out how it works. The side-to-side rails and their adjustment is pretty obvious, but there's also a track that runs laterally right behind the vista roof cowl that has a couple of strap loops. What's that about? Is there a faring or a set of hooks that fit there? There aren't matching strap loops at the back of the system, so you've got to wonder. The original owner's manual doesn't mention a word.

I've done a little research, and there was a cargo net offered originally, but that doesn't explain it all.

I'm sure somebody who has owned one of these longroofs since it rolled off the lot will know.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Another neat mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another neat mod   Another neat mod Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 8:18 am

The low profile racks are on any 91-93 RMW. I used the front loops to hook ratcheting straps to when carrying a load.
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

Another neat mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another neat mod   Another neat mod Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 8:47 am

Add me to the list of user, I strapped a hood to the roof the other day. Oh yeah I prefer the low profile Oldsmobile one because it's all black.
Back to top Go down

Another neat mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another neat mod   Another neat mod Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 8:51 am

I guess we found our three.

My roof rack has carried everything from a desk, several mattresses, a couch, a piano, children... I mean, uh...

Lots of stuff. Yeah. Lots.

(All is true aside from the Children.)
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Another neat mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another neat mod   Another neat mod Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 9:27 am

Aunt Edna?
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

Another neat mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another neat mod   Another neat mod Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 9:52 am

I use all my roof racks all winter. They are great for holding snow!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Another neat mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another neat mod   Another neat mod Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 9:58 am

95BRMW wrote:

Ouch...
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

Another neat mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another neat mod   Another neat mod Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 10:03 am

95BRMW wrote:

How do you strap it down so it doesn't end up on the windshield of the guy behind you?
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

Another neat mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another neat mod   Another neat mod Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 11:16 am

Hopefully he doesn't drive with it loaded. I cannot stand when people do that. Nothing quite like a brick of snow/ice coming at you on the interstate.
Back to top Go down
Cletus

Cletus

Another neat mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another neat mod   Another neat mod Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 12:32 pm

81X11 wrote:
Aunt Edna?

great movie!
Back to top Go down
http://vulturesawait.com
jeffracer

jeffracer

Another neat mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another neat mod   Another neat mod Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 12:26 pm

81X11 wrote:
I replace the tall SUV-like roof rack rails on my 96 wagon with a flush-mount sliding rail from a '93 wagon. I really like this mod, adds a little chrome to the roof and also makes the car look lower and smoother.

-Mike

There was one of those on the the white RMW in the Tampa u-pull-it yard when I was there last week. I went back and snagged it this morning, surprised it was still there. I need to get it shined up on the buffing wheel before I install it.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Another neat mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another neat mod   Another neat mod Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 12:40 pm

jeffracer wrote:
81X11 wrote:

-Mike

There was one of those on the the white RMW in the Tampa u-pull-it yard when I was there last week. I went back and snagged it this morning, surprised it was still there. I need to get it shined up on the buffing wheel before I install it.

They are clearcoated, so you may have some issues with polishing.
Back to top Go down
jeffracer

jeffracer

Another neat mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another neat mod   Another neat mod Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 12:43 pm

Thanks Fred, I don't think there is any clearcoat left on this one.
Back to top Go down

Another neat mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another neat mod   Another neat mod Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 1:03 pm

Clear coat? In Florida?

Myth I say, myth!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Another neat mod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another neat mod   Another neat mod Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another neat mod
Page 1 of 1