GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

heater hose broke in two

Go down 
+6
RedandBlack
jayoldschool
dmg4
94Woody
silverfox103
jon7190
10 posters
AuthorMessage
jon7190

jon7190

heater hose broke in two Empty
PostSubject: heater hose broke in two   heater hose broke in two Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2018 1:14 pm

On my 96 RMW, I started changing my spark plugs on the right side of the engine and with a hard turn of the wrench, a bunch of coolant comes pouring out onto the floor. WTF!?

Well, the lower heater hose is not just a rubber tube. It has multiple sections, and has a plastic coupling that is probably fragile after 22 years and broke when force was accidentally applied to it.

Has anybody had this break on them before? I haven't been able to find it so far on line. What's the best source for a new hose to replace this?
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: heater hose broke in two   heater hose broke in two Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2018 4:07 pm

You're lucky it lasted 22 years, you probably got 10 more years than they usually last. I haven't had to buy one for a while, but I'm pretty sure part stores can get them. You should replace the plastic "T" as well.

Tom
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: heater hose broke in two   heater hose broke in two Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2018 4:25 pm

That coupling is normally referred to as a heater control valve. Rockauto carries them. I bought one from Advance Auto last summer.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: heater hose broke in two   heater hose broke in two Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2018 5:02 pm

Has one ever broken before? Only once for me, in the middle of I-90 on holiday with a car full of family and junk. No hope of a roadside fix, so after a $150 tow the helpful driver installed the 99 cent T fitting and I was underway again with a 2 hr delay.

Gotta love AAA. Free towing up to 100 miles. Otherwise you are at the mercy of the Interstate Highway trawlers.

Now it's one of the first things I replace on a wagon upon arrival.
Back to top Go down
jon7190

jon7190

PostSubject: Re: heater hose broke in two   heater hose broke in two Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2018 9:33 pm

Great info. I found the part number and found it on gm parts direct. It's just the valve, which is what broke. It looks like it is built into the hose coming out of the water pump. Is there a way to separate that valve from the original hose?
Back to top Go down
jon7190

jon7190

PostSubject: Re: heater hose broke in two   heater hose broke in two Icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2018 1:18 am

I think I answered my own question. I tried to get it out and it broke off. I guess I'll try to get a replacement for that section of hose and a new valve.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: heater hose broke in two   heater hose broke in two Icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2018 10:30 am

A brass barbed hose splicer, a knife, and two hose clamps should be in the glove compartment of every LT1 car.

Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: heater hose broke in two   heater hose broke in two Icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2018 11:54 am

Pretty much true. Been around this problem 3 times on the road and fixed it roadside twice. Third time hoofed it over to Vatozone and had to go back to the car. lol
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: heater hose broke in two   heater hose broke in two Icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2018 5:22 pm

I about spit my drink out..."Vatozone."
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: heater hose broke in two   heater hose broke in two Icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2018 5:29 pm

lol I've been using that one for years!
Back to top Go down
paart

PostSubject: Re: heater hose broke in two   heater hose broke in two Icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2018 5:43 pm

I haven't lost the restrictor, yet, probably because I routinely replace it when I change hoses. I have, however broken two "Tee's". I replaced the last one with an iron water pipe "tee" which should be the permanent solution.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: heater hose broke in two   heater hose broke in two Icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2018 10:12 pm

An aluminum T would be a better replacement. It would be compatible with the aluminum radiator, and the aluminum heater core. You already have a lot of iron in the engine. Stay away from brass, it just adds another metal to the mix for electrolysis to work on.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: heater hose broke in two   heater hose broke in two Icon_minitimeFri Feb 16, 2018 10:26 pm

Yeah, Home Depot has lots of aluminum hose splices in their plumbing section... lol
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: heater hose broke in two   heater hose broke in two Icon_minitimeMon Feb 19, 2018 1:08 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
Yeah, Home Depot has lots of aluminum hose splices in their plumbing section... lol

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
jon7190

jon7190

PostSubject: Re: heater hose broke in two   heater hose broke in two Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2018 11:18 pm

I'm glad to report the fix worked. Advance Auto Parts had the heater valve in stock (O'Reilly said it had to be special ordered). Advance also had the whole 2 hose intake and output assembly available for $92. I just bought the valve and the front half of the heater intake hose.

Thanks everyone for the tips!
Back to top Go down
jon7190

jon7190

PostSubject: Re: heater hose broke in two   heater hose broke in two Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2018 10:29 am

I'm glad to report this repair has held and after recovering from the post-traumatic stress of changing the right side spark plugs, I finally changed the left side. As has been well documented here and elsewhere, the left is much easier! Only had to go underneath the car for the rear most plug. The right side too me several hours (and months of counseling after), the left took me about an hour.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: heater hose broke in two   heater hose broke in two Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

heater hose broke in two
Page 1 of 1