GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

NC Calling..

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
WSJLEWIS

NC Calling.. Empty
PostSubject: NC Calling..   NC Calling.. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2018 9:11 am

Hello all, I am new to the forum, but not new to wagons.. We have had Caprice/Olds Wagons for most of my life. Starting with an 87' Olds..yup, with that sweet ass wood paneling inside and out.. Then onto the 1991 CW..which in its previous life was a ...*ahem*** "flower car" for the local funeral parlor..yup.. We drove her till the frame rusted out over 300K on the original 305/700r4.... Then on to the current mess that I got my pops into.. It's a 1995 CW, Red on Red, low miles, under 100k, CLEAN...tooo clean...turns out at some point someone must have ran this bitch through two parked cars..both sides, from trim down, absolutely filled with bondo..yeah.. Real gem.. SO!! that brings me here.. I am looking to rectify my novice mistake. Either by purchasing a intact waggy, or a rolling chassis to swap into..and figured you all might be the best source..unless I want to get shafted again by craigslist.. Mad

anywhoo, I'll be creeping in the shadows around here for a while, nice to meet you all!

-Wayne
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

NC Calling.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: NC Calling..   NC Calling.. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2018 3:44 pm

Welcome to the pod. Give us an upper limit on what you're able to spend. No sense in searching for a $12,000 car if you want to spend $3000.

How willing/able are you to swap items like engine/transmission, interiors, etc? More hassle perhaps, but perhaps a better outcome and for less money than aiming for perfection in a single purchase.
Back to top Go down
WSJLEWIS

NC Calling.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: NC Calling..   NC Calling.. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2018 9:18 am

dmg4 wrote:
Welcome to the pod.  Give us an upper limit on what you're able to spend.  No sense in searching for a $12,000 car if you want to spend $3000.

How willing/able are you to swap items like engine/transmission, interiors, etc?  More hassle perhaps, but perhaps a better outcome and for less money than aiming for perfection in a single purchase.

Hey dmg4,..took me a second on the "pod" reference..witty, very witty..lol.

I am looking for something under $3000. Preferably a complete rolling chassis 95' CW, maybe RMW if it's woodless.. I am skilled in the swapping process (drivetrain/electrical) but would rather not have to swap the cornucopia of interior parts.. Mad We currently have a complete, low mileage 95' (Red on Red) but the body is shot. So if I can find one laying around, (missing drivetrain or close to death) it would be ideal.. There is no rush on this, just trying to revive the waggy..

-W
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

NC Calling.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: NC Calling..   NC Calling.. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2018 9:20 am

Welcome to the forum. Where at in NC? Im moving to the Marion area.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

NC Calling.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: NC Calling..   NC Calling.. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2018 9:39 am

Quote :
I am looking for something under $3000.

I think you might need to warm up to the idea of buying a car from some distance away off Craigslist and driving it home.  I've bought several cars that way, and if you practice due diligence, it generally works out OK.  If I'm seriously considering a buy, I generally call a local GM dealer and find a mechanic who is OLD and willing to take a look at the car for a $100 or less.  If the report is good, I buy a cheap one-way air fare and drive it home.  Done that from TX, GA, FL (twice), Maine and NJ without a hitch.

An aggregator of Craigslist ads like Searchtempest is an easy way to hunt.  Enter what you are looking for (Roadmaster Wagon), click the boxes for "nationwide", "autos for sale" (excludes parts), "1994-1996" for years, and then "open all".  Give it a minute to chug through the mess, and then just start closing the windows with "no results".  What's left open will be every 1994-1996 Roadmaster in the US listed on Craigslist.  Bookmark the ones that look interesting, and start making a few calls.

Not every car from rustbelt states will be rusty. Many belonged to snowbirds.  Ask for pics of the undercarriage for the known troublespots.

Not all interior parts are a PITA to swap.  Seats are easy, as are door panels.  I'd not turn down a car just because the interior is a bit daggy if it was a nice solid no-wood body and frame.

Wish I could claim credit for references to "the pod", but I am like Robin Hood: I steal from the witty to give to others in need.
Back to top Go down
WSJLEWIS

NC Calling.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: NC Calling..   NC Calling.. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2018 2:16 pm

Andebe wrote:
Welcome to the forum. Where at in NC? Im moving to the Marion area.

I'm coastal, in Wilmington.. Moved here bout 7years ago from Greensboro.. Marion/foothills thou.., now that's where the states beauty is...minus the hipsters taking over Asheville.. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
WSJLEWIS

NC Calling.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: NC Calling..   NC Calling.. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2018 2:23 pm

dmg4 wrote:

I think you might need to warm up to the idea of buying a car from some distance away off Craigslist and driving it home.  I've bought several cars that way, and if you practice due diligence, it generally works out OK.  
An aggregator of Craigslist ads like Searchtempest is an easy way to hunt. closing the windows with "no results".  

This SearchTempest is a damn DREAM!!! Where has it been all my life!! Thanks for the heads up!.. cheers

...man, it also seems like it can be quite dangerous too..wifey ain gonna be happy if I end up starting a waggy sanctuary in the back acres..lol Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

NC Calling.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: NC Calling..   NC Calling.. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2018 4:10 pm

Quote :
This SearchTempest is a damn DREAM!!!

All too easy.

NC Calling.. Vader-10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

NC Calling.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: NC Calling..   NC Calling.. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NC Calling..
Page 1 of 1