GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

secondary cooling fan

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GMjonn

GMjonn

secondary cooling fan Empty
PostSubject: secondary cooling fan   secondary cooling fan Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 12:33 pm

is the secondary cooling fan the same between towpak and non towpak cars? I need to replace my fan. It has power to the plug but the fan doesn't run.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: secondary cooling fan   secondary cooling fan Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 12:51 pm

The brackets for the fans are different on the drivers side and passenger side. The fans blades and motors are the same.
Back to top Go down
GMjonn

GMjonn

PostSubject: Re: secondary cooling fan   secondary cooling fan Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 12:54 pm

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: secondary cooling fan   secondary cooling fan Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 12:58 pm

Secondary (passenger side) fan from a Caprice or Buick should be a clean swap. Are you near a pick-and-pull?
Back to top Go down
GMjonn

GMjonn

PostSubject: Re: secondary cooling fan   secondary cooling fan Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 1:35 pm

yes i am they show a 92 roadie in stock. unbelievably no Caprice's
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: secondary cooling fan   secondary cooling fan Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 5:45 pm

So I found this chart info below, and thought it might help others that were concerned about their fans both coming on.

B/D-car LT1 (Caprice/Impala/Roadmaster/Fleetwood) Cooling Systems:

Standard equipment for all LT1 equipped B/D-cars is a dual electric fan setup with a 150-watt primary (RH) fan and a 100-watt secondary (LH) fan. The electric engine coolant fans are independently operated by the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) based on the inputs from the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor, A/C Pressure Sensor, Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS), and various other inputs.

The B/D-car coolant fans operate under PCM control at the following engine temperatures and A/C system pressures:

Fan Mode ... Temp ... Pressure

Primary (RH) Fan ON ... 109°C / 229°F ... 189 psi
Primary (RH) Fan OFF ... 105°C / 221°F ... 150 psi
Secondary (LH) Fan ON ... 112°C / 234°F ... 240 psi
Secondary (LH) Fan OFF ... 108°C / 227°F ... 210 psi

Additionally, the PCM will turn off the fans at higher vehicle speeds (above 48 MPH I believe) since running fans can actually impede airflow through the radiator at high speed. Each fan also has a minimum running time. Once activated, the primary fan will run for a minimum of 50 seconds, and the secondary fan for a minimum of 26 seconds. Finally, certain Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) may cause the PCM to turn on one or both fans.

Hope that helps!

-Texas Mike
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: secondary cooling fan   secondary cooling fan Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2018 8:58 pm

There were 2 additional cooling packages beyond the standard package. Towpack cars got V08.

V03 "Extra Capacity" and V08 "Heavy Duty" cooling both increased the secondary fan motor size. In 94 and 96, I believe the secondary was 150 watts, same as the base primary. In 95 there were 2 possible secondary fan motors used: some got the same 150W as other years but some 95 cars may have been fitted with a 240 watt monster secondary.

As far as I know the V03 primary fan was the same as the standard cooling model. The V08 replaced the electric primary with an engine-driven viscous clutch mechanical fan.

So, to answer your question: it depends. Towpack cars with HD cooling got more powerful secondary fans than standard cooling cars, but the same secondary as "Extra Capacity" cooling cars.

All that said, as far as I know the actual electric fan blade wheels are all identical and the only difference is the motors.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: secondary cooling fan   secondary cooling fan Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2018 5:14 am

Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic insomniac?

He stayed awake all night worrying about whether or not there really was a Dog.

(Cue snare/cymbal crash)

Please ignore my gaff in previous posting on the position of the secondary fan.  If you are replacing the primary electric fan, or adding a primary electric fan to replace the mechanical one, you need the passenger's side fan and bracket from a donor car.  The driver's side fan is the secondary.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: secondary cooling fan   secondary cooling fan Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

secondary cooling fan
Page 1 of 1