GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Two different sizes for rear brake shoes and drums?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
BuickRM

Two different sizes  for rear brake shoes and drums? Empty
PostSubject: Two different sizes for rear brake shoes and drums?   Two different sizes  for rear brake shoes and drums? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2018 5:01 pm

Hello,
I would suggest to provide a set of new rear drums and brake shoes for my wagon, the braking effect is pretty uneven. I´ve bought a set of brand new brake shoes already some weeks before, the lining of one shoes is glued on very slanted, on one end maybe 2 mm more distance to the edge than on the other. It seems that the lining would scrape towards the drums inside to the axial area. Really poor quality. The friction area looks very narrow compared to the shoes, it´s just one or two mm more than the brake shoes itself. I´m going crazy with the main  brake after getting the parking brake work finally.

Now I´ve looked for brake shoes and drums at Rockauto and found some references with the wide of the shoes rated with 2.00 and 2.12 inches. My shoes are 2.00 inches wide. When I looked for the drums, there´s no thrustworthy information about the friction wide of the drums inside and if they are accepting 2.00 or 2.12 inches wide shoes. Are there any differences between Wagon and Sedan brakes?
If there are existing 2.12 shoes really, I can´t suggest that they will work inside the drums with a friction wide of 2 inches.....Does anyone
(Fred?) know what about? It´s a mess to refund wrong parts back from Germany and all the hassle and wasted time so it´s worth to provide reliable information from good guys…..Thanks a lot.
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: Two different sizes for rear brake shoes and drums?   Two different sizes  for rear brake shoes and drums? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2018 8:13 pm

Do you have a reliable shop that can reline the shoes that you want to replace? That might be better than shipping back and forth across the ocean.
Back to top Go down
BuickRM

PostSubject: Re: Two different sizes for rear brake shoes and drums?   Two different sizes  for rear brake shoes and drums? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2018 3:45 am

I have to replace the drums anyway and they are available only in USA.  The new shoes are cheaper than to reline them over here and can be ordered together then with the drums. There are some shops in Germany which are offering all american parts as well, but the costs are much higher due to the duty and tax what they have to pay also and they have to hand over the costs to the customer.

Anyway, I should know if there are two different sizes of drums 2.00 inches and 2.12 inches wide? According to the shoe sizes?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Two different sizes for rear brake shoes and drums?   Two different sizes  for rear brake shoes and drums? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Two different sizes for rear brake shoes and drums?
Page 1 of 1