GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Original tire sizes never available?

Go down 
+3
monwell
dmg4
BuickRM
7 posters
AuthorMessage
BuickRM

Original tire sizes never available? Empty
PostSubject: Original tire sizes never available?   Original tire sizes never available? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2018 3:07 pm

Guys,
today I would order a set of new tires for my BRW, I used to run Goodridge 235/70 R 15 103H on the original wheels. They are all season tires, Maybe not the best choice, but less expense with changing them after the autumn, unfourtunately I have no second set of wheels…Over here in Germany, the winters are much milder than 20 years before…..
Now I was scared about I didn´t find them again, does anyone know where and what brand  I can source yet all seasons tires with this size?
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Original tire sizes never available?   Original tire sizes never available? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2018 4:04 pm

I've run General Altimax 235 70 15 on several wagons and had good luck with them. They should be available in Europe. They are available through Walmart and Tire Rack. See:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+%28T-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=37TR5AMRT43OWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
Back to top Go down
BuickRM

PostSubject: Re: Original tire sizes never available?   Original tire sizes never available? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2018 10:08 am

Thanks, I`m gonna try to find a local tire rack dealer over here. I´ve found out in the meantime that there are some summer tires available,  unfortunately China brands, and new affordable wheels for the BRM are available as well from Rockauto. I´m thinking about providing a new set for summer tires and us the the old for winter.
Back to top Go down
monwell

PostSubject: Re: Original tire sizes never available?   Original tire sizes never available? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2019 8:44 pm

For summer tires, check out kumho, hankook, firestone and uniroyal tires. They have tires available in that size.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Original tire sizes never available?   Original tire sizes never available? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2019 9:31 am

I have been running 235/75/15s on my OCC, and the speedometer is more accurate with them. They are a truck tire, but are not harsh.
Back to top Go down
SteveShepard

SteveShepard

PostSubject: Re: Original tire sizes never available?   Original tire sizes never available? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2019 4:01 am

The AltiMAX RT43 -- 235/70R15  mounted on 15"x8" Chevy Rally wheels.  I've been running them since April 2013. Wonderful tire, smooth quiet ride, speedometer is dead accurate.

Original tire sizes never available? 32835808138_df40242692_oIMG_7957 crop by Steve Shepard, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
https://museum.vhpa.org/17thcav/7thsquad/7thsquadCTroop.shtml
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Original tire sizes never available?   Original tire sizes never available? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2019 5:40 am

Quote :
I have been running 235/75/15s on my OCC, and the speedometer is more accurate with them.

Hmmm... according to the sticker on my car ('96 Caprice) the OEM tire size was 225/75/15.  If so, the the 235/70/15 is slightly closer in revolutions per mile than a 235/75/15.

However, if you push the car to at least 100 mph on any city street, the police can provide a free speedometer calibration service Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Original tire sizes never available?   Original tire sizes never available? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2019 8:30 am

The 91-93s have mechanical VSSs, and they are less accurate than the electronic ones on the 94-96 models, because you can only adjust them in about 3 MPH increments. The original error is about 6-8 MPH fast, so the larger tire partially makes up the error.
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: Original tire sizes never available?   Original tire sizes never available? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2019 8:06 pm

We need to put tires on the new to us wagon. It has the stock size 225/75/15 now. As you guys know not many options available... Looking at 235/70/15 based on forum reading and more options. Looking for a good all season tire. We are sticking with the stock wheel and wire covers.
The General's posted above look pretty good. Any others to look at? Thoughts on the Uniroyal Laredo Cross Tour?
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: Original tire sizes never available?   Original tire sizes never available? Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2019 9:00 am

I have been looking at a set of  Goodrich 235 75 15 all season light truck tires. https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/bfgoodrich-advantage-t-a-sport-lt/p/37664
There is too much tread left on my came with the car tires to justify a purchase yet. Maybe a few good burnouts before winter and I can justify a pair.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Original tire sizes never available?   Original tire sizes never available? Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2019 9:41 am

The 235/70/15s came on some cars as OEM. I have 235/75/15 Hankooks on my 92 OCC and am pleased with them. My Speedo is more accurate than with the 225/75/15 OEM size tires. The 235/75/15 is .6 inches taller than the 225/75/15.
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: Original tire sizes never available?   Original tire sizes never available? Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2019 12:09 pm

Fred, Thanks, I have seen the occasional reference to the 235's here. I am interested in these tires, because they have an excellent rating for snow, and sadly, my car will see snow. I was looking for light truck tires with good snow traction that wont look out of place on the wagon (not an SUV wanna be). Besides, this car is heavier than some light trucks. I work as an EMT, and can not call out because of weather.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Original tire sizes never available?   Original tire sizes never available? Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2019 5:18 am

I've used the Firestone Winterforce and Bridgestone Blizzak tires in 235/70/15 on these wagons for winter driving under the worst possible conditions in upstate NY, and in the White Mtns in New Hampshire. If you use them on all 4 corners, these cars are not bad in snow, and you need them on both the front and rear to be able to move forward, steer, and stop. Don't buy a tire based on how "manly" the tread pattern looks. That has very little to do with forward traction and (far more importantly) stopping ability. The tire compound used has far more impact on ability to drive on glazed and iced surfaces. Blizzaks in particular have a softer silicone rubber compound designed for better grip on ice, which is generally the surface that will kill you. Truck tires may not be your best option. Many have very stiff sidewalls and tread designs that are a compromise between off-road and on-road use. If all of your driving is on paved roads, they are not your best option. Make sure you get the snow tires off your car as soon as the snow stops. They wear quickly on dry roads at higher speeds and at higher temperatures. Common sense and not tailgating in the snow is even more important. Obvious, but amazing in how easily ignored when you are in a hurry. The most common accident in snow country is someone running the nose of their car up the ass of another because they couldn't stop in time (too soon old, too late smart; there is no person as virtuous as a reformed sinner, etc....).

The General Altimax in 235/70/15 is the best replacement for OEM road tires that I've used.
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: Original tire sizes never available?   Original tire sizes never available? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2019 9:02 pm

We just put the General Altimax in 235/70/15 on the '95.

Original tire sizes never available? PVmPo6jl

Original tire sizes never available? Umf1Mq8l

Sorry about the darker pics took these about 8pm with the cell...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Original tire sizes never available?   Original tire sizes never available? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Original tire sizes never available?
Page 1 of 1