GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gas tank straps

Go down 
+5
200OZ
Cadet57
sherlock9c1
92SS Wagon
BigBlackBeaSSt
9 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Gas tank straps Empty
PostSubject: Gas tank straps   Gas tank straps Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 9:55 am

I knew I would get your attention.

Spectra Premium (USA) Corp.
8774 South State Rd.109 P.O. Box 8
Knightstown, Indiana
United States 46148-0008
Tel.: (765) 345-2127
Fax: (765) 345-5362
800-628-5442

I called and spoke to these guys today. They still have the part number ST185 slated for production, but no dates. Customer service said we can call and ask every few weeks, but expected anytime. Lets not overwhelm them, but if someone called every couple of weeks they would get the hint........

Tim
Back to top Go down
92SS Wagon

92SS Wagon

Gas tank straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas tank straps   Gas tank straps Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 1:05 am

any more info on this?
Back to top Go down
http://www.bowmanhunter.com
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Gas tank straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas tank straps   Gas tank straps Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 5:19 am

92SS Wagon wrote:
any more info on this?

I anticipated others calling... Hin hint and posting what they found out!!

Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

Gas tank straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas tank straps   Gas tank straps Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 8:03 am

What are they charging for these?
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Gas tank straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas tank straps   Gas tank straps Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 9:19 am

sherlock9c1 wrote:
What are they charging for these?

I dunno..............
Back to top Go down

Gas tank straps Empty
PostSubject: Its a NOGO   Gas tank straps Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 10:15 am

Guys,I called and spoke to David(with the accent) about the possibility of a group order of maybe 100 sets.
David kindly explained that we would need. a order of at least 5000 sets to get the production going.
Whats the difference between the sedan and the wagon straps because the sedan straps(ST-186) are still
available from NAPA or CarQuest.He couldnt give me a price but just call your local Napa or CarQuest and
give them this part #ST-186 and they should be able to give you a price.
With such a group of fanatics like we are we should be able to come up with a way of making them for ourselves.
I mean its just a stamped/pressed steel design and with all the knowledge this group has available we should
be able to reproduce these straps ourselves.
My 2 cents!
Jim aka Flasheroo

Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

Gas tank straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas tank straps   Gas tank straps Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 12:46 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Guys,I called and spoke to David(with the accent) about the possibility of a group order of maybe 100 sets.
David kindly explained that we would need. a order of at least 5000 sets to get the production going.
Whats the difference between the sedan and the wagon straps because the sedan straps(ST-186) are still
available from NAPA or CarQuest.He couldnt give me a price but just call your local Napa or CarQuest and
With such a group of fanatics like we are we should be able to come up with a way of making them for ourselves.
I mean its just a stamped/pressed steel design and with all the knowledge this group has available we should
My 2 cents!
Jim aka Flasheroo

The problem being is that to "legally" produce any amountable number of aftermarket parts you need GM's blessing. A couple guys in Badass of NE were toying with the idea of creating a mold and selling aftermarket lower quarters. THe problem they found was that once stamping companies found out what they were for, they wouldn't produce them without a license/ autorization from GM.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Gas tank straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas tank straps   Gas tank straps Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 1:49 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
Flasheroo wrote:
My 2 cents!
Jim aka Flasheroo

The problem being is that to "legally" produce any amountable number of aftermarket parts you need GM's blessing. A couple guys in Badass of NE were toying with the idea of creating a mold and selling aftermarket lower quarters. THe problem they found was that once stamping companies found out what they were for, they wouldn't produce them without a license/ autorization from GM.

I cannot imagine any patent or copy right is still in effect for a car last produced in 1995 (wagons were never made in 1996).
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

Gas tank straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas tank straps   Gas tank straps Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 2:18 pm

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:

I cannot imagine any patent or copy right is still in effect for a car last produced in 1995 (wagons were never made in 1996).

Couldn't tell ya Tim. Thats just what I was told. In order to make parts using a GM design you need to have GM's permission and toss them some coin.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Gas tank straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas tank straps   Gas tank straps Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 3:44 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:

Couldn't tell ya Tim. Thats just what I was told. In order to make parts using a GM design you need to have GM's permission and toss them some coin.

I wonder if we could do a real simple fabricated steel strap.......
Back to top Go down

Gas tank straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas tank straps   Gas tank straps Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 4:25 pm

^ I don't see why not...
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

Gas tank straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas tank straps   Gas tank straps Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 6:18 pm

Maybe in stainless.... Yeah, stainless.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Gas tank straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas tank straps   Gas tank straps Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 8:01 pm

200OZ wrote:
Maybe in stainless.... Yeah, stainless.

Talk to us Mike!!!!
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Gas tank straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas tank straps   Gas tank straps Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 9:10 pm

bungee cord works,...

Nick

ogrotmrr tricks and tips # 14,......
Back to top Go down

Gas tank straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas tank straps   Gas tank straps Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 9:42 pm

Hahahaha Bungee cord. That's genius!
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Gas tank straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas tank straps   Gas tank straps Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 10:17 pm

When I had my 1970 Chevy Blazer, I needed tank straps cuz I tore mine off running over a no left turn sign they erected at my corner (and I didn't like it cuz I liked to make lefts). Punctured my tank too and tore off a muffler but I was 19 and had a few beers, but back to the story.

I went to the local auto parts store and bought gas tank straps. generic flat steel that you cut to fit and then screwed a clampy type deal on the end and hooked it up. Worked great and cost less than 10 bucks (I'm dating myself, but you get the idea).

How much does a flat roll of stainless cost? Drill a couple of holes and mount some hardware and call it a day. Necessity is the mother of invention.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Gas tank straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas tank straps   Gas tank straps Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 10:09 am

Update:

I called Sprectra again today regarding any updates that on the status of tank straps. I had heard a rumor from a guy (Fred) who heard from a guy (Jerry) that these were now available. Rolling Eyes

Well let me squelch this rumor. I spoke to customer service today and as of today they are NOT available for purchase and have NOT been produced. Shocked

PLEASE CALL THE 800 NUMBER (listed in post #1) AND HELP US TO URGE THEM TO BEGIN PRODUCTION.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Gas tank straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas tank straps   Gas tank straps Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 8:16 pm

I just pulled a set of nice straps for a wagon tank (includes bolts). Came from a 92. $75 shipped.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Gas tank straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas tank straps   Gas tank straps Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 9:17 pm

Will not fit LT1 cars..........
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Gas tank straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas tank straps   Gas tank straps Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 9:28 pm

How different are they?

If the supposed manufacturers are only going to make one style, which one would they fit?
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Gas tank straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas tank straps   Gas tank straps Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 10:42 pm

I believe the tanks are different because the dual exhaust one the LT1 cars.
Back to top Go down

Gas tank straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas tank straps   Gas tank straps Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 10:48 pm

GM parts.com says that the wagon straps from 91 thru 96 are all the same.
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

Gas tank straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas tank straps   Gas tank straps Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 10:49 pm

I have put TBI tank straps on a LT1 wagon (my 96 has straps from a 92 OCC and I pulled them off myself at the yard)....they fit just fine. I think the straps are the same from 91-96 (wagons)
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Gas tank straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas tank straps   Gas tank straps Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 11:45 pm

I still have the straps.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Gas tank straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas tank straps   Gas tank straps Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 2:59 pm

I have a guy that might be able to get a GP together for NEW wagon gas tank straps. Not sure on a price, but I told him I would see how much interest there is out there. Please LMK if you are interested.
Back to top Go down

Gas tank straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas tank straps   Gas tank straps Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 5:11 pm

Ok this is verified thru GM vintage parts.The right side strap is still available for $30.20 plus $11.99
for S&H.I got the email this am.I know its not a complete set but its a start and I am still snooping
everywhere.You can get a lot more done with a please and a polite "how are you today" than
the impolite guys that these guys encounter everyday.So if you dont like that "get bent".
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

Gas tank straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas tank straps   Gas tank straps Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 5:22 pm

Isnt the sedan left strap the same as the wagon left strap as well?
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Gas tank straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas tank straps   Gas tank straps Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 9:45 pm

This guy sells the straps for under $50 for a set. Unless I miss the mark we should be able to get them in that neighborhood.
Back to top Go down

Gas tank straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas tank straps   Gas tank straps Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 10:14 pm

Tim that sounds more than fair even if its a little higher than that.Count me in for 2 sets and tell
me if those wheels that Tim has are really gone or was it just a bad April 1st joke?
Thanks
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gas tank straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gas tank straps   Gas tank straps Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gas tank straps
Page 1 of 1