GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wagon Gas Tank Straps

Go down 
+2
jayoldschool
Cadet57
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Cadet57

Cadet57

Wagon Gas Tank Straps Empty
PostSubject: Wagon Gas Tank Straps   Wagon Gas Tank Straps Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 11:39 am

I was poking around Spectra Premium's website today and I saw a part number for their wagon gas tank straps. It appears they still make them their part number is ST185. Perhaps a group buy is in order?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Gas Tank Straps   Wagon Gas Tank Straps Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 11:48 am

Hmmm..... How much are they? It doesn't seem to say.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Gas Tank Straps   Wagon Gas Tank Straps Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 12:42 pm

Type the PN in on rockauto. Should get a price that way.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Gas Tank Straps   Wagon Gas Tank Straps Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 2:37 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
Type the PN in on rockauto. Should get a price that way.

Tried that, no luck. Mad
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Gas Tank Straps   Wagon Gas Tank Straps Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 4:05 pm

Yeah..... I did this about a year ago and ended up calling them. They do not make it but "anticipate" making it in the future. They would not give me a date. If EVERYONE calls them it might help push them...... but I am not holding my breath.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Gas Tank Straps   Wagon Gas Tank Straps Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 6:48 am

I thought I would bump this.

Tim, I'd get to holding your breath.

Over the last week or so, I've been talking with a wagon-owning friend of mine from another forum. He was in contact with Spectra Premium about getting TWO sets of straps made, just for his wagons. I, being the industrious and helpful soul that I am (lol), asked for the guy's contact info. We've been exchanging emails, and I now have my hands on a nice rust free set of Florida straps. I will be sending them to Spectra sometime this week, and in return, I will receive my very own pair of reproduction straps from their work.

That's right. They're going to be producing straps for us. I'm going to try and get them on board with a GP, but that may be down the line though.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Gas Tank Straps   Wagon Gas Tank Straps Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 7:52 am

Great job. Keep us in the loop.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Gas Tank Straps   Wagon Gas Tank Straps Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 8:00 am

Indeed. I'll let you guys know what happens first.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Gas Tank Straps   Wagon Gas Tank Straps Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 11:12 am

Great job Ray!

Jim
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Gas Tank Straps   Wagon Gas Tank Straps Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 12:17 pm

Why are tank straps suddenly so popular? Or is it just important to have new ones for everyone to bend down and look at?

Nick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Gas Tank Straps   Wagon Gas Tank Straps Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 12:30 pm

I'm guessing having a gas tank that stays in place is pretty important. Wink
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Gas Tank Straps   Wagon Gas Tank Straps Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 4:44 pm

Stingroo wrote:
I'm guessing having a gas tank that stays in place is pretty important. Wink
For sure!! um,.. have you ever had a tank fall out of a wagon on you??
Has anybody??
i live in the rust belt,. i,ve never had a tank fall out,.but i did have one drop down at the back of the tank,. but that was on a 69 freightliner cabover with 150 gal tanks,.

I think it,s a great that they are being reproduced, it'll definitely be a draw for guys doing resto's,.
but i think door pads would be better reproduced rather than tank straps,.
There's a lot of "Monkey see,Monkey do" on the internet,. and sometimes i just don't understand the importance put on certain things,.
kinda like the idea an opti spark is junk if it gets antifreeze on it etc,..

Nick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Gas Tank Straps   Wagon Gas Tank Straps Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 4:48 pm

Dunno, but it's still good to have options IF it happens (or, if you buy a wagon with impromptu straps like that one guy...)

Anyway, I was given the contact info so I did what I thought would be good. Otherwise, I'd have just sold them to someone here or on the ISSF and made a little bit of money.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Gas Tank Straps   Wagon Gas Tank Straps Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 6:29 pm

Will you get the originals back? I'd like to see the quality of the repro vs. original.

Seems kinda weird to trade a set of perfectly good OEM for repros....but I do understand the need to get replacement parts for our cars as they age.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Gas Tank Straps   Wagon Gas Tank Straps Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 6:56 pm

I was considering pulling my semi-crusty ones and putting the good ones on, then keeping the repros. Smile

Depends on how adventurous I get once I get under the car to do the control arms tomorrow. As it stands, I don't know if I'll get the originals back. I will ask.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Gas Tank Straps   Wagon Gas Tank Straps Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 9:55 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
Why are tank straps suddenly so popular? Or is it just important to have new ones for everyone to bend down and look at?

Nick

My rust bucket didn't come with straps, I had to make them myself Smile Never hurts to have a spare set on hand, or better yet a source for new ones.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Gas Tank Straps   Wagon Gas Tank Straps Icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 1:52 am

95BRMW wrote:
phantom 309 wrote:

Nick

My rust bucket didn't come with straps, I had to make them myself Smile Never hurts to have a spare set on hand, or better yet a source for new ones.
you did a fine job,..
i think i,m going to get a set chromed so everyone will be envious of my tank straps,. thats the only way i,d invest any time at all to change out a set of tank straps for cosmetic reasons,. Arrow

nick
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wagon Gas Tank Straps   Wagon Gas Tank Straps Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wagon Gas Tank Straps
Page 1 of 1