GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Suggestions for floor jack?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
KDCubes

Suggestions for floor jack? Empty
PostSubject: Suggestions for floor jack?   Suggestions for floor jack? Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2019 11:54 am

My floor jack of many years' use cannot be used with my Roadmaster wagon. It is too short and/or too tall as best I can tell.

Any suggestions for a replacement would be welcome.

It needs to reach say, the front crossmember, while still having enough free space to work the lever. Longer and lower seems to be the requirement.

My current unit is about 25" overall frame length, 15" from the pad centerline to the pivot point. I believe the stickers said 3-ton when I bought it in the 1990s.

Harbor Freight has an assortment of low profile units, for example.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for floor jack?   Suggestions for floor jack? Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2019 12:10 pm

I have two HF aluminum low height jacks (large and small), and they both work fine, even with my lowered wagon. One thing I found interesting is that if I jack the lowered car with the rear jack point, the front tires come off of the ground before the rears. I can change both tires or rotate them with one jacking.
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for floor jack?   Suggestions for floor jack? Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2019 3:45 pm

I have the Harbor Freight 3 ton low profile jack, works great! Not sure about lifting the wagon from the front cross member, haven't tried from there... The quick lift work awesome to get the pad to the frame or whtever with minimal pumping!

I got it on sale for about 75 bucks.
Back to top Go down
KDCubes

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for floor jack?   Suggestions for floor jack? Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2019 6:12 pm

Hmmm,  sounds like I'm not doing it the same way. (Thanks for the answers - those look like good ones)

I have successfully raised the car at the frame rails behind the front tires or ahead of the rears, but I didn't like how it scuffed the plasticized coating.

I was looking at how do it old-school under the banjo, cross member or a-frame, assuming there was a solid area there.  Upon review, I'm not sure any of those places will work. I mentioned the cross member because for working under the hood when some clearance underneath would be nice.

I probably should RTM (read the manual)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for floor jack?   Suggestions for floor jack? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for floor jack?
Page 1 of 1