GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Move body to a better frame

Go down 
+2
jayoldschool
Capala
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Capala

Capala

Move body to a better frame Empty
PostSubject: Move body to a better frame   Move body to a better frame Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2020 10:42 am

How difficult would it be to move the entire body of one caprice wagon to another donor chassis? Is there any difference in 94, 95, 96 Caprice or Roadmaster frames? Looking at swapping a 95 wagon body to a 94 wagon chassis.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Move body to a better frame   Move body to a better frame Icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2020 6:51 pm

No. Exact same.

I think a decent upgrade that I haven't seen done would be the late model P71 Ford front crossmember that the Gas Monkey guys like to use. A bolt in crossmember that gets modern aluminum and steel suspension components. Our control arms, etc, date to 1973. No, I don't know if it fits.
Back to top Go down
Capala

Capala

PostSubject: Re: Move body to a better frame   Move body to a better frame Icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2020 7:10 am

Interesting but beyond my skill level.
Back to top Go down
91rdmastr

PostSubject: Re: Move body to a better frame   Move body to a better frame Icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2020 8:57 pm

Is there a code for woodgrain delete? I can't find any info
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Move body to a better frame   Move body to a better frame Icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2020 5:49 am

Late Roadmaster wagons came standard with the woodgrain. A no-credit option, RPO WB4, deleted the woodgrain and added a pinstripe.

Late Caprice wagons required a $600.00 option to add the woodgrain.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Move body to a better frame   Move body to a better frame Icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2020 10:23 am

If you get a roller to swap, you may have to swap rears to keep your speedo correct, depending on the gears in the rear. You might consider the mileage on the rear, as well.
Back to top Go down
Capala

Capala

PostSubject: Re: Move body to a better frame   Move body to a better frame Icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2020 2:31 pm

What is involved with lifting the body from the frame and moving it to another Caprice/Roadmaster frame and drivetrain? I have another same year wagon with the drivetrain and frame I would like to move the body to.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Move body to a better frame   Move body to a better frame Icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2020 3:09 pm

There are a number of wire connectors, and grounds. Fuel tank can be disconnected at the door. Bumper covers must come off. You also need to disconnect the fuel lines at the engine. If the donor is a different year, you should consider keeping the engine and trans with the body. Otherwise you must move the computer and wiring harness. with the donor engine. I believe the harness/body interface is the same for 94-96. While you have it off, replace the body mounts. You will probably need to measure each one, and duplicate it.

Once the body is disconnected, raise it enough to get the old chassis out, and roll the donor under it.
Back to top Go down
Capala

Capala

PostSubject: Re: Move body to a better frame   Move body to a better frame Icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2020 1:35 pm

Thanks for that info Fred. As I would love to be able to do a more modern frame like Jayoldschool mentioned that is not a road I want to travel right now. I have a rust free 94 and another 95 I could use for a swap that has the complete running drivetrain. The recent 95 I bought has too many oddball issues. 1st it was supposedly swapped with a 94 Z28 LT1. The wiring is done shoddy with crimped or some just twisted wire connections. I think the car was in an accident and the front frame is tweaked. I want to daily the car like my current 95 wagon but it has been fighting me tooth and nail.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Move body to a better frame   Move body to a better frame Icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2020 3:06 pm

You may have to remove the front clip as well. Make sure the body is centered on the frame when you are reassembling. While you have everything apart, it would be advisable to swap the flexible brake hoses front and rear, as well as replacing all of the suspension bushings. It is a lot easier when the body is off.
Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

PostSubject: Re: Move body to a better frame   Move body to a better frame Icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2020 7:40 pm

I would also recommend replacing the rear shocks while you have the body off, if you havn't already replaced them, as having done two sets, one on my 94 RMW and one set on my 87 Pontiac Safari, I can promise you that it will be a heck of a lot easier with the body off then with it on.
Back to top Go down
Capala

Capala

PostSubject: Re: Move body to a better frame   Move body to a better frame Icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2020 12:23 am

Goldwolfnhn I know what you mean about the rear shocks be a PIA. All 4 B body's have the rear shock u brackets on them for that same reason.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Move body to a better frame   Move body to a better frame Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Move body to a better frame
Page 1 of 1