GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Power steering out, need advise before changing anything.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Clifton Springs Hauler

Power steering out, need advise before changing anything. Empty
PostSubject: Power steering out, need advise before changing anything.   Power steering out, need advise before changing anything. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2020 9:40 am

I have a 95 RMW limited with VES and damper. I have been intermittently losing power steering for the past month and now seems to be completely gone. There are no leaks of any kind in P S system or at the water pump and the fluid level in the reservoir is where it should be.  I have tried raising RPM's with no luck, as well as pulling the fuse for the VES. I have also removed about 5 oz. of fluid and added 5 oz. of SeaFoam Trans Helper and run the car for a couple of weeks. I have put the front end in the air with the engine off and turned the wheel lock to lock until my arms gave out. The pulley for the PS pump does not appear to be slipping at all.There is no noise coming from the system at any time. The FSM starts out the diagnostics with the use of a GM pressure tester, which I do not have. Is there an obvious path forward to follow that would minimize the replacing of functioning parts?

Thanks.

Kerry.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Power steering out, need advise before changing anything.   Power steering out, need advise before changing anything. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2020 8:51 pm

I would disconnect the connector at the steering column first, to see if that is an issue. The pump is cheap if you are going to fix it yourself. You need to borrow the pulley removal tool to get the pump off. If it is not the pump, you have not spent a lot. The only other "wear" part in the system is the gearbox. That is the expensive part. It is not all that difficult to replace, but you will need a Pittman arm puller, and a tierod end separator. A large socket for the Pittman arm nut is necessary, and an impact wrench.
Back to top Go down
Clifton Springs Hauler

PostSubject: Re: Power steering out, need advise before changing anything.   Power steering out, need advise before changing anything. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2020 3:34 am

I forgot to mention that I did disconnect the connector at the top of the column that is pegged to the firewall with no luck. I will start with the pump and go from there. I have read a 16mm flair wrench is used for the high pressure line. True? What is the best way to clear the system of old fluid when only changing out the pump?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Power steering out, need advise before changing anything.   Power steering out, need advise before changing anything. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2020 8:16 am

I believe the wrench for the lines to the gearbox are 18mm. You can reach them under the wheelhouse, although you can only turn them one flat at a time. After you get them loose, you may be able to turn them with your fingers.
Back to top Go down
Clifton Springs Hauler

PostSubject: Re: Power steering out, need advise before changing anything.   Power steering out, need advise before changing anything. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2020 12:24 pm

Thanks for all the info Fred. I have heard of folks having all kinds of problems with the VES system and the best answer being unplug the potentiometer connection at the firewall with not much difference in steering feel. Since a remanufactured Cardone  seldom comes with a "new" EVO component, could I save myself expense now and order and install a non VES pump? Would it fit correctly? And is there any way to purge the complete system of fluid from the pump end?

Thanks.

Kerry.

Update-

I think i found the answer to my first question above. The EVO fluid port runs 90 degrees out the back of the VES pump, so new line would be needed. So, if the port is not working correctly after installing on the "new" pump I will just disconnect the harness at the firewall.

Still wondering how to get the most fluid out.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Power steering out, need advise before changing anything.   Power steering out, need advise before changing anything. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2020 3:10 pm

I would just buy a large container of PS fluid, then fill and drain it a few times.
Back to top Go down
Clifton Springs Hauler

PostSubject: Re: Power steering out, need advise before changing anything.   Power steering out, need advise before changing anything. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2020 5:06 pm

Sounds good Fred. I won't be tackling immediately, but will post whe complete. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: Power steering out, need advise before changing anything.   Power steering out, need advise before changing anything. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2020 4:29 pm

Clifton, I seem to have developed the same intermittent lapse of power in my steering. How have you faired? Did you unplug the sensor? Did that resolve your issue?

Thanks,

Tom
Back to top Go down
Clifton Springs Hauler

PostSubject: Re: Power steering out, need advise before changing anything.   Power steering out, need advise before changing anything. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2020 10:01 am

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I'm a little embarressed to confess but my problem was infact the waterpump leaking on the belt. I saw no evidence that it might be the problem, but 3 weeks ago the WP really let go and after changing it out the power steering has worked flawlessly.

Thanks for all the help.

Kerry.
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: Power steering out, need advise before changing anything.   Power steering out, need advise before changing anything. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2020 10:32 am

Clifton Springs Hauler wrote:
Hi All,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I'm a little embarressed to confess but my problem was infact the waterpump leaking on the belt. I saw no evidence that it might be the problem, but 3 weeks ago the WP really let go and after changing it out the power steering has worked flawlessly.

Thanks for all the help.

Kerry.

That happened to us, too, but of course I never thought the variable assist, overboosted then damped, power steering was any good. Smile Fixed ratio, no damper, non variable, firm torsion bar, now much better.
Back to top Go down
BuickRM

PostSubject: Re: Power steering out, need advise before changing anything.   Power steering out, need advise before changing anything. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2020 6:49 am

Guys, I just had exactly the same problem over here in Germany. Was just starting with putting out and disassembling the steering gear and thought about providing a new one as well as a new pump. Now when I read this thread, I would embrace you all cause I´ve saved surely 300$. My water pump is stonedead, pissing all coolant all over the belt and thats whats the pump causes to get mad.....thanks again, thats what a forum like this helps so much !!!!!!

sherlock9c1 and Dave.hays like this post

Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: Power steering out, need advise before changing anything.   Power steering out, need advise before changing anything. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2020 8:22 am

96 RMW - My steering lost power last night, but just momentarily like last time when I posted in april. I am planning a belts and hoses weekend if I ever get enough time off, maybe I'll add a waterpump to the list. While I'm at might as well go for plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Anything else I should do while I'm at it? Approx 125,000 miles on the clock.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Power steering out, need advise before changing anything.   Power steering out, need advise before changing anything. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Power steering out, need advise before changing anything.
Page 1 of 1