GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

EGR Valve not opening

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
OurCircuitMessSlobmodel

OurCircuitMessSlobmodel

EGR Valve not opening Empty
PostSubject: EGR Valve not opening   EGR Valve not opening Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2020 7:31 pm

A.K.A L03 pingy at part throttle, pt2.

I am pretty sure this is my problem and and always has been.

I have tested the EGR valve on my 305 by hooking the hose directly to the valve, bypassing the solenoid. It idles great even with all 15 plus pound of vacuum on it. It should open.

I can feel a slight fluttering of the diaphragm when I place my finger on it, but nothing more than a few thousandths of motion. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but all three of the valves I have purchased have done this. I made sure to buy different EGR's from various aftermarket companies, different model numbers, just to see.

I know I cannot get a Delco unit new anymore, so to all of you, I ask, is there a reputable aftermarket that you have had good luck with?

Or maybe a parts house you know of with NOS factory Delco units stockpiled that you trust?

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve not opening   EGR Valve not opening Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2020 9:02 pm

It would be more likely that your knock sensor is not working. The EGR only works when you are steady state highway driving, to reduce emissions.
Back to top Go down
OurCircuitMessSlobmodel

OurCircuitMessSlobmodel

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve not opening   EGR Valve not opening Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2020 9:46 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
It would be more likely that your knock sensor is not working. The EGR only works when you are steady state highway driving, to reduce emissions.
I know what you are saying, but I bypassed the engine management systems and hooked the EGR up direct to the full vacuum. I even tee'd off a line from the brake booster feed straight to the EGR with no change.

I'm on my second replacement knock sensor. It does work fine, it pulls timing and sets of a CEL if I run 87 gas, that's why I am of the persuasion that the EGR's I have been buying have been the wrong ones.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve not opening   EGR Valve not opening Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2020 10:21 pm

To check an EGR valve one just has to start the engine and let it idle. Put your fingers on the diaphram and give it a squeeze. The engine should stumble.

Back to top Go down
OurCircuitMessSlobmodel

OurCircuitMessSlobmodel

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve not opening   EGR Valve not opening Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2020 6:39 am

Yes, it stumbles when manipulated, so the passage is fine, But vacuum has very little effect on the mechanism.

Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve not opening   EGR Valve not opening Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2020 8:27 am

Another test is to pull the hose off, squeeze the diaphragm in the whole way and put a finger over the port on it. The diaphragm should stay retracted, if not replace the valve.
Back to top Go down
OurCircuitMessSlobmodel

OurCircuitMessSlobmodel

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve not opening   EGR Valve not opening Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2020 8:34 am

I am guessing the car must be off for this test?
That is a very useful test, one I haven't tried yet. That would only work on a negative bp valve, right? Which is what my car probably needs.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve not opening   EGR Valve not opening Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2020 9:30 am

Yes, car off. If the valve holds you'd have to look at either a vac leak or possible bad solenoid
Back to top Go down
OurCircuitMessSlobmodel

OurCircuitMessSlobmodel

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve not opening   EGR Valve not opening Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2020 7:11 pm

Ok and the results are in-
No, it does not stay open.
I was feeling a little adventurous so I applied some vacuum via mouth, it feels kinda like a cheap straw with a hole in it.

So where do I find something that will work?
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve not opening   EGR Valve not opening Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2020 10:10 am

Autozone etc will carry it, I usually order from rockauto if I don't need it right now
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: EGR Valve not opening   EGR Valve not opening Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

EGR Valve not opening
Page 1 of 1