GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tailgate Molding shrank

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
68JCode

Tailgate Molding shrank Empty
PostSubject: Tailgate Molding shrank   Tailgate Molding shrank Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 7:52 am

Hi guys, hoping this is one that someone has seen before, but it sure seems weird to me.  Attached photo of my tailgate molding shows that is has a curve and a kink in it.  Before I tried to fit it up, I assumed the curve was to match the contour of the tailgate, but upon closer inspection it is just plain out of shape!  

The molding was off the car when I bought it, so I am guessing it was stored a little misshapen and took a set.  The way the part is curved now, it not only does not fit right, but effectively is a couple of inches too short.

Any thoughts on getting this thing straightened out?  

Thanks,

AndrewTailgate Molding shrank Rear_t10
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Molding shrank   Tailgate Molding shrank Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 9:04 am

Don't know where you live, but I would put it in the direct sun on a real hot day or two. Try to reshape it and stretch it.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Molding shrank   Tailgate Molding shrank Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 9:53 am

I assume this is for a Caprice. The plastic shrinks, and there is not much you can do to stretch it. If you can heat the whole thing at once, you may be able to pull on the ends to stretch it, but it is likely to stretch at one spot, and make it really look weird. The only replacement is from another Caprice. You may get lucky, and find one that is in excellent condition.
Back to top Go down
68JCode

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Molding shrank   Tailgate Molding shrank Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 11:31 am

Thanks for the quick replies gentlemen. This was going to be one of my easy aesthetic improvements, looks like I got that one wrong. I suppose I will take a shot at heating and straightening, but I do not think that will get me any better than 'close enough'.

Another option might be to do what dmg4 did https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t13346-what-to-do-with-that-daggy-trim-on-a-caprice-wagon and separate the chrome section from the body color section. The two separate pieces would be less stiff than the one big piece and I might be able to manhandle them into shape. Or at least get the chrome strip back on.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Molding shrank   Tailgate Molding shrank Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 12:24 pm

Really like the way he did his. Eliminating chrome is always a nice thing.

I've always just removed the trim and tossed it all into the trash.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Molding shrank   Tailgate Molding shrank Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 1:40 pm

Straighten it as much as possible, and put it on centered. Run what you brung.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Molding shrank   Tailgate Molding shrank Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2020 5:25 am

The material the factory used just shrinks as the plasticizers evaporate over time. This is why so many detach themselves from the metal backing.

Apparently, ages ago, replacement mouldings were available from the aftermarket. They were used quite a bit by body shops for repairs. They shrink about twice as badly as the OEM ones.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tailgate Molding shrank   Tailgate Molding shrank Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tailgate Molding shrank
Page 1 of 1