GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

All was not well under the side molding...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Pleasure Trip

All was not well under the side molding... Empty
PostSubject: All was not well under the side molding...   All was not well under the side molding... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 10:49 am

I expected some dents when I took the side molding off this 95 Caprice classic but there were some other issues too.

See pics.

Actually, I didnt know this would be such a hairy job afro
It was really filthy under the molding and the double sided tape was
a bear to get off.

All was not well under the side molding... Cc1

There were a few dents here and there I guess the molding doesnt always
do a very good job protecting the body. This was the worst of the damage
though...If I am not able to get it painted before winter -- what would you
do about these fine cracks, is this a time bomb for rust? cherry

All was not well under the side molding... Cc2

The paint finish was greyish-discolored like this in a lot of places. Was thinking
about trying to machine polish and see if it would clean-up.

All was not well under the side molding... Cc3

I havent got all the sticky tape residue off yet, this darker stuff on the tailgate
is really stubborn. I used Tarminator and a plastic trim tool from Harbor Frieght
to get most of the the gunk off. There really isnt a best way to approach it that I
could find although it seems that the thinner the tape that is left sticking to the finish
the harder it is to get off. When the tape is thicker it is somewhat easier to work loose
so I only used fishing line to get the molding loose enough to pull it the rest of the way
off. I got lucky a couple of times and the tape pulled completely away from the finish in places.

All was not well under the side molding... Cc4
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All was not well under the side molding...   All was not well under the side molding... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 11:43 am

Not sure but that may be a bondo crack not rust.Soak a clean shop rag in "Goo Be Gone"and
hold it against the surface for a miniute or so and the tape residue will come right off.When I
took my window visors off of my OCC,the 3m tape was everywhere and the soaking trick
worked great.
Jim
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: All was not well under the side molding...   All was not well under the side molding... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 12:53 pm

i used a hair dryer and my thumb and to get the little left i used paint thinner. my wagon had issues under trim also.
All was not well under the side molding... 27xot9e
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com

PostSubject: Re: All was not well under the side molding...   All was not well under the side molding... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 2:12 pm

I bet you had a damn sore thumb when you finally finished.That roof rack is cleaning up pretty
nice.My original is flat black so I am curious how it will look when I am done with it.
Thanks Again
Jim
Back to top Go down
Pleasure Trip

PostSubject: Re: All was not well under the side molding...   All was not well under the side molding... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 2:45 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Not sure but that may be a bondo crack not rust.Soak a clean shop rag in "Goo Be Gone"and
hold it against the surface for a miniute or so and the tape residue will come right off.When I
took my window visors off of my OCC,the 3m tape was everywhere and the soaking trick
worked great.
Jim

I did use some Goo Gone in tougher spots. The Tarminator works pretty good too. I was surprised there was so much discoloration of the paint under the molding. I think it might buff out and I want to try that before it starts getting cold.

I was planning to put a Covercraft cover over the wagon this winter. Do you think anything should be done about the
fine cracks or not worry about it? I would like to get the whole thing painted (Diamond White) next spring.

I did use the "thumb" a lot when I took the black rubber molding off a RMW - too much rubbing and the skin started to separate from the nail Sad !
So I used a plastic tool this time.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: All was not well under the side molding...   All was not well under the side molding... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 8:17 pm

my thumb was numb. i kept mine last winter under a cover and it did not get worse and the white you see is bondo
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All was not well under the side molding...   All was not well under the side molding... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

All was not well under the side molding...
Page 1 of 1