GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Smacking / hissing noise when braking

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
BuickRM

Smacking / hissing noise when braking  Empty
PostSubject: Smacking / hissing noise when braking    Smacking / hissing noise when braking  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2020 6:53 am

Guys,

it´s an old issue, but anyway I want to care about it. On my 94 BRM there´s a hissing noise when appling the brake pedal, sort of smacking. I guess it´s something with the brake booster, not only the noise (what unusual on german cars), but rather the brake effect comes a bit hesitantly. The first small amout of pedal travel is easy force with this noise, then - once pressure increases - the noise disappeares and the brake effect comes very progressively. Sometimes it´s difficult to meter the brake effort, particulary if you brake very quick, it´s more an unwanted emergency stop. Not really bad, I´ve got use to it, but anyway a bit strange and if I could improve the situation I would do. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
BuickRM

PostSubject: Re: Smacking / hissing noise when braking    Smacking / hissing noise when braking  Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2020 6:34 am

No ideas? With Covid no activities on the board?
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: Smacking / hissing noise when braking    Smacking / hissing noise when braking  Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2020 8:54 am

Try applying the brake pedal while in park to re-create the sound. Once you can re-create it, see if the sound it coming from under the dash or inside the engine compartment.

It sounds like you've a vacuum leak in/around the brake booster.

The brakes are actuated by engine vacuum, so if you're struggling to accurately locate the sound, you can use a stethoscope with an open hose on the end to "focus" your hearing. Another option is a flammable liquid (carb cleaner, brake cleaner, ether, etc) aerosol can with a tube on the nozzle to accurately dispense a bit of fluid. The engine will speed up when you find the leak as it draws in the fluid.

Good luck, let us know what you find!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Smacking / hissing noise when braking    Smacking / hissing noise when braking  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Smacking / hissing noise when braking
Page 1 of 1