GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Compressor noise

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Funkwagon455

Compressor noise Empty
PostSubject: Compressor noise   Compressor noise Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2020 9:47 pm

So I was cruising home the other night from work (42 miles), and noticed my air conditioning though working seemingly fine was making a lot of compressor clatter at stop signs.  I shut the hvac off until I reached the house, popped the hood and the compressor was very hot to touch.  Turned the hvac back on and lots off compressor clatter.  The next morning I fired it back up and tried again and it was significantly quieter.  The car now has 142000 miles on an R12 system.  I have no idea if anyone has ever replaced anything as all parts are Delco.  I have reserved myself to the idea that I need to replace the compressor/dryer and orifice tube now to prevent the dreaded "black death" compressor failure.  I have been there and done that before, and it is not a pleasant experience.  I figure if it has not yet failed, the repair could be as easy as a short afternoon of swapping the effected components (with factory parts) and a simple vacuum and  R12 recharge.  The other thought I had was that maybe enough oil had slung out of the compressor to dry out the system causing friction in the compressor.  Please share your thoughts and experience on this matter if you have had something like this happen to you.  Thank you Smile
Back to top Go down
Funkwagon455

Compressor noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compressor noise   Compressor noise Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2020 11:30 pm

I removed the compressor, dryer and expansion tube Sunday to replace. The expansion tube showed some evidence of compressor failure, so I was glad that I made the decision to go though the system before it decided to implode. Unfortunately, the pressure switch in the receiver dryer cracked in the housing and created a vacuum leak when I went to evacuate the system today. I've ordered a new switch and will install,evacuate and recharge the R12 system when it arrives. Hopefully all will be well and this baby will be chucking popcycles at me again in no time.
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

Compressor noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compressor noise   Compressor noise Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2020 10:19 am

What are your fears about converting to r-134?...….All the same components work for both except that the gauge fittings are proprietary so that there is no confusion about which Freon belongs.....Since you are opening the system anyway, now is the ideal time! An empty system will hold 3-4 cans ($4.88 at WalMart), and you should also install a new dryer can and properly oil it and the compressor during installation, vacuum to 30 inches for half an hour and put the Freon in...….. 134 is every bit as efficient and cold as r12, but it is cheap and available and runs in the same pressure ranges, so the same systems can run either...….BTW..... some compressors are just noisy, it doesn't necessarily mean they are going out. I've bought new ones that were/are noisy...
Back to top Go down
http://v-driveboat.com
Funkwagon455

Compressor noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compressor noise   Compressor noise Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2020 6:42 pm

I would definitely say that I do not have any fears with doing an R134 conversion, but I do prefer the performance of R12. When you are stopped in heavy traffic or at stop lights, a system with R134 will not continue to properly cool until you begin to move air across the condenser. I would always prefer to use a product that the system was originally engineered to use. And besides, I still have 41 plus pounds or R12!!😀 My switch got delayed by the USPS so was unable to wrap it up this weekend. It should be here tomorrow and I'll be cool by Tuesday.👍
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

Compressor noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compressor noise   Compressor noise Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2020 1:50 pm

Well yes.... r134 conversion requires new hose ends for your gauges and 134 seems to escape easier than r12...… If you have r12, I guess it's better to stick with that till you run out..... I guess you know enough that you'll replace the accumulator/dryer, RIGHT? (always gets replaced with a compressor) and install the correct amount of oil in the compressor and dryer too.....
I live in a place that's 105+ degrees every day after about may15th...…. I have no trouble keeping cool while idling, but if I did, I know a trick...…
If you lock the fan clutch while still using the stock fan, the 30% slip of a good clutch is eliminated.... You will move air through like a tornado, creating lower temp Freon leaving the condenser, resulting in lower pressures in the A/C system and better heat evacuation from the cabin......Your engine will also run cooler!..... The downside is the tornado noise under your hood and possible slight loss of MPG.... I say "possible loss" because the compressor shouldn't work as hard against lower Freon pressure....
Back to top Go down
http://v-driveboat.com
Funkwagon455

Compressor noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compressor noise   Compressor noise Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2020 5:08 pm

Fine tuned pressures last week. Compressor is quiet. Based on the numbers on the thermometer, I’d say I’m ready for summer!Compressor noise 51c1ba10
Back to top Go down
Funkwagon455

Compressor noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compressor noise   Compressor noise Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2020 11:09 am

I suppose it took a few days to cycle the oil through the system to achieve maximum cooling capacity. Here was my duct temp yesterday. Outside air temp showed 99.
Compressor noise 5d209310
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

Compressor noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compressor noise   Compressor noise Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2020 4:37 pm

nice and frosty! Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Compressor noise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compressor noise   Compressor noise Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Compressor noise
Page 1 of 1