GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Turn Signal Conked Out

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
68JCode

Turn Signal Conked Out Empty
PostSubject: Turn Signal Conked Out   Turn Signal Conked Out Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2020 9:28 am

Looking for help on a wierd turn signal problem on my '95 Caprice wagon. Signals stopped entirely. No clicking, and the green indicators on the dash do not light up. Brake lights work normally, including the third brake light, 4 way flashers also work normally. Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
68JCode

PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal Conked Out   Turn Signal Conked Out Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2020 9:37 am

I suppose the leading culprit is the flasher went bad? I've been driving for awhile now and have never seen that happen, and my other car is from 1968, but I suppose it is possible. Are the 4 way flashers on a separate flasher unit from the turn signal?
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal Conked Out   Turn Signal Conked Out Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2020 7:14 pm

flashers are inexpensive, worth a shot to try.... like anything electrical anything is possible...
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal Conked Out   Turn Signal Conked Out Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2020 7:52 pm

Separate flashers.
Back to top Go down
68JCode

PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal Conked Out   Turn Signal Conked Out Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 12:18 pm

That certainly turned out to be an easy repair! The flasher was fine, it just came loose. Not sure why, I might have kicked it at some point, but everything is working fine now!

Sprocket likes this post

Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal Conked Out   Turn Signal Conked Out Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 2:47 pm

gotta love an easy fix! Cool
Back to top Go down
Serendipity96

Serendipity96

PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal Conked Out   Turn Signal Conked Out Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2021 6:27 pm

I have i think a similar problem - been updating bulbs in the car to LEDs... got some for the brake/tail lights and started on right rear. They'd light up but the turn indicator wouldn't flash.
On the dash, the right arrow lights up and stays on when i put it on right turn. Left side works fine.

Thinking i might have fried something, i did some further tests.  First I put original bulbs back in. Light up but still no turn flash.
Tried putting one of the LEDs into the front Left indicator to see if I fry the left.  Nope - but left side stays on now too and also the left arrow on the dash stays lit, but dimly.
related post mentions this problem with trying to use LEDs on the front turn signals https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t13752-led-turn-signals-shows-failed-bulb?highlight=turn+signal++-working+on+one+side

So i replace the LED on the front left with original amber bulb and the left side is back to working correctly again.  
I test the hazards and both sides flash as should.
So i guess either i didn't realize that coincidentally my right side turn indicator had just crapped out or putting in the LED bulbs did something? (i looked at what i ordered online and the ones i got didn't say they were for turn indicators, only backup and brake/running. But since the wagons use the same bulbs for all 3 i thought maybe that wouldn't matter. apparently it does.

FYI - these are the bulbs i ordered - didn't pay attention that they didn't specify as good for turn signals too - i just went for cheap. Also, because of the design, couldn't use them as reverse lights because the reverse light socket is different than the brake lights and this particular bulb design wouldn't allow me to twist and lock into place - maybe i didn't use enough force, but i didn't want to break anything.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/203650206788

My quesiton at this time is how to I troubleshoot the non-working flasher? Do i need to buy a replacement part?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/followyourbliss101
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal Conked Out   Turn Signal Conked Out Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2021 11:19 pm

If the flasher on one side works, then it is not the flasher, it is in the wiring or switch. LED bulbs are polarity sensitive, and they do not draw enough current to activate the flasher relay. You need an electronic flasher for the LEDs to work.
Back to top Go down
Serendipity96

Serendipity96

PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal Conked Out   Turn Signal Conked Out Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2021 1:24 pm

turns out mine were fine -i removed the bulbs and reinserted them making sure they were seated properly and everything back to normal.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/followyourbliss101
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Turn Signal Conked Out   Turn Signal Conked Out Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Turn Signal Conked Out
Page 1 of 1