GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's

Go down 
+2
Fred Kiehl
redcaddy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
redcaddy

redcaddy

Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's Empty
PostSubject: Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's   Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2020 11:26 am

Hi, first things first. I need a pair of exh manifolds for my 5.0 in the '89 buick wagon, mine grew legs during the current overhaul. Anybody have a set you can part with? (the 2 outlet drivers side set)

I need to lose the air injection pump and associated hardware The tapped holes for the air injection manifold on the heads have been plugged. What do I need to know besides what I have done?

Thanks in advance,Wink
Paul
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's   Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2020 7:53 pm

Get a set of headers. Heddman makes a set that fits Chevelles that will also fit your car. You will need to put a hump in the left side of your trans crossmember, and put duals on the car. It will have a good bit more power. The muffler mount from the right side will bolt to already existing holes on the rear crossmember. Relatively easy to do, or have done.
Back to top Go down
redcaddy

redcaddy

PostSubject: Re: Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's   Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2020 8:58 am

I already have a custom dual exhuast, 2 in. flowmasters with crossovers, so I'm looking for as close a fit to the stock manifolds as possible. I think shorty headers would require the least work to install/hook up and not hang down much lower than the cast irons. (with the suspension mods I did, I'm already an inch or so closer to the ground)

Anybody have a brand and part number? I've arrested all the usual suspects, (headman,thorley,summit etc.) with out much luck. (carid asked for the VIN, on a 35 year old ride?,WTFO/)

I'm deleting the air injection anyway, so that will not be an issue. (good old "no smog" floriduh)
I'm not expecting a huge performance increase, but should see some efficiency (MPG) improvement with a .030" over bore, .020" head shave and 3 angle valve job. headers, tho not planned, will help I'm sure.

Any and all help graciously accepted...

Paul
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's   Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2020 9:13 am

You can use any headers that fit a Chevelle. The rear plugs sometimes get blocked by the rear primary tube. I had to remove my starter to tighten #8. You must put an 90 deg. elbow on the oil pressure sensor to miss the #7 primary tube.
Back to top Go down
redcaddy

redcaddy

PostSubject: Re: Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's   Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2020 2:52 pm

Thanks Fred, does anybody know, from experience, what application gives the best clearance? I really don't want to spend a couple hundred bucks and find I can't look at a plug without extreme measures.

Still holding out for a good used pair of stocker's.

Paul
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's   Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2020 5:53 pm

In case Fred doesn't realize it: the 5.0 in redcaddy's wagon is a 307 OLDS engine.
Back to top Go down
redcaddy

redcaddy

PostSubject: Re: Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's   Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2020 6:28 pm

Thanks Jay, you are, as usual, eggzackery correct.

Paul
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's   Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2020 9:33 pm

I thought the whole line was switched to generic GM engines by 89.
Back to top Go down
redcaddy

redcaddy

PostSubject: Re: Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's   Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2020 7:39 am

Fred, I'm the 3rd owner of this starship so I don't know fer sure, but the local machine shop, that did the work for me on this overhaul, told me that it is an OLDS motor with 7-A heads. At just over 100 K, it cracked a head (between the valves) $2600.00 later, I'm bolting the heads back on and filling the hole.

Anybody know what the block number series should be, I'll look it up, and we will know fer sure.

Paul
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's   Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2020 10:12 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
I thought the whole line was switched to generic GM engines by 89.

Well, the 307 Olds was a "generic GM engine" then. And all boxy wagons got them in the late 80s.
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's   Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2020 10:32 am

Back in the day, during the conversion to corporate GM engines from brand specific builds, there was even a lawsuit filed from "higher" brand owners in regards to what was called the use of "Chevrolet" engines in their vehicles. IIRC, they even won.
Back to top Go down
redcaddy

redcaddy

PostSubject: Re: Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's   Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2020 12:59 pm

Welp, all I know is that the question was decided at a very high, uninvolved level, no good came of it and the corporation got to steal more tax dollars to share with the executives.

I just spent a bunch of money on an obsolete mode of transportation, that I happen to enjoy very much. I don't give a good god damn what engine it had installed at the factory, I just want to put the correct parts in it and continue to drive it, hopefully, 'till I'm dead. (it's OK, I'm old)

Still looking for a pair of manifolds or a number for shorty headers...
Paul
Back to top Go down
redcaddy

redcaddy

PostSubject: Re: Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's   Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2020 9:37 am

Crickets? X 4 days. really? Did I miss the bus?

Paul in Venice
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's   Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2020 12:30 pm

Not really. Posting an ad in the proper parts wanted section may get you more attention.

Aside from that unless someone actually has these laying around or a junk wagon of this vintage they can’t really provide any. I pretty much never see box style wagons around.

I know there are some other wagon forums out there that may provide more options.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's   Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2020 12:51 pm

Time to hit up car-part.com for manifolds. However, if it were mine, I'd order up a set of Cutlass 307 headers and make them work.
Back to top Go down
occ6.6

PostSubject: Re: Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's   Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2020 12:00 pm

i used sanderson shorty headers on a 89 b body with a 455 & when i did the 403 swap in my 92 occ,pics are in my post in the builds section, sanderson part# 0351 expensive here in canada but fit perfect
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's   Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Exh manifolds and air injectionQ's
Page 1 of 1