GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

1990 CC Rear Quarter Leaks

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
smparr

smparr

1990 CC Rear Quarter Leaks Empty
PostSubject: 1990 CC Rear Quarter Leaks   1990 CC Rear Quarter Leaks Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2020 5:12 pm

Has anyone had this with their 80s boxy style GM wagon? One of my leaks comes down from the passenger side quarter window rear lower corner into the spare tire well on one side. The driver's side drips dead center top of the window from under the outboard side of the roof interior molding into the storage pocket. I just can't figure out if it is the window or the rack. Any experience would be beneficial. It's been raining so I can't due a controlled leak test right now. I knew about the spare tire well so I put truck bed liner in it. The driver's side leak appeared yesterday.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 1990 CC Rear Quarter Leaks   1990 CC Rear Quarter Leaks Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2020 3:15 pm

It is most likely the channel under the edge of the roof rack. There is a sealant in the channel that dries and becomes chalky. There is a body seam under the sealant. To remove it, you must scrape it out and clean the channel. I used ordinary roofers sealant from the hardware store. Only fill it to the level of the original sealant, so that the channel will fit back in. I used rubber gloves, and a cut off popcycle stick to level the sealer in the channel. I figured out how deep I wanted it, held the stick at that level, and ran it the length of the channel. If you put tape on both sides to the level you want it, you can keep the sealant from getting on the paint.

The one item you must watch out for is the removal of the screws that hold the rack in place. They thread into a rivnut, and the rivnuts are notorious for spinning in the sheet metal instead of the screw turning in the rivnut. If that happens, you will have to remove the headliner to grasp the rivnut. The rivnuts are a bastard metric size made by GM, and are no longer available. There are some SAE sized rivnuts that are close, but you must use the corresponding screws with them. I did this, and fixed the same leak you have.
Back to top Go down
smparr

smparr

PostSubject: Re: 1990 CC Rear Quarter Leaks   1990 CC Rear Quarter Leaks Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2020 3:28 am

Is there a channel on a boxy? The roof is pretty flat.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 1990 CC Rear Quarter Leaks   1990 CC Rear Quarter Leaks Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2020 7:20 am

I do not know about boxys
Back to top Go down
smparr

smparr

PostSubject: Re: 1990 CC Rear Quarter Leaks   1990 CC Rear Quarter Leaks Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2020 10:12 pm

Thanks though, my 1991 CC did have a leak also but we figured out it was the back plastic molding where the glass hinge attaches. Still has a minor leak there but easily cleaned up. Too hard to unhook the inside panel at the back with those fake screws.
Back to top Go down
smparr

smparr

PostSubject: Re: 1990 CC Rear Quarter Leaks   1990 CC Rear Quarter Leaks Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2020 10:13 pm

Should I move this post to the Boxy topic?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1990 CC Rear Quarter Leaks   1990 CC Rear Quarter Leaks Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1990 CC Rear Quarter Leaks
Page 1 of 1