GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear Quarter Glass Question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mark 96 Roady

Rear Quarter Glass Question Empty
PostSubject: Rear Quarter Glass Question   Rear Quarter Glass Question Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 11:33 pm

My 96 Roady is at the shop getting the windows tinted. The guy from the shop called today to say that he was unsure how to remove the pop out lever. He said that it is a Torx or phillips type screw, but it looks like there is some kind of pin through it. I know that the hinges are damaged, but they do not rattle, and no one will ever ride in the third seat, so I don't care that they don't work. Can anyone tell me how these come apart without breaking anything? This guy is super fussy, and does not want to try and tint around the lever, and of course does not want to break the lever or hinge either. Please help- I told him I would try to get some suggestions from this forum and call him tomorrow. Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Rear Quarter Glass Question   Rear Quarter Glass Question Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 11:38 pm

To get the hinge apart you have to use an allen wrench to push the roll pin out in the hinge, then you can open the window just enough to gain access to the hinges. Use a flat head to push the pins up and out and the window will come off. Sometimes the roll pin comes out easy, other times its a real pain though,
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Rear Quarter Glass Question   Rear Quarter Glass Question Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 11:55 pm

95BRMW wrote:
To get the hinge apart you have to use an allen wrench to push the roll pin out in the hinge, then you can open the window just enough to gain access to the hinges. Use a flat head to push the pins up and out and the window will come off. Sometimes the roll pin comes out easy, other times its a real pain though,
I just want to be clear, and of course the car is not here for me to go look at- when you say "to get the hinge apart" are you talking about what I am calling the lever? I am calling the lever the part you push with your hand to open the window. I am thinking of the hinge as the part that is attached to the body, that the window itself pivots on. Thank you very much for your reply, and hopefully you will see this follow up to your first reply.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear Quarter Glass Question   Rear Quarter Glass Question Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 11:59 pm

He's referring to your "lever," yes.

The "hinges" you are referring to are removed via 2 phillips head screws each under the glass, and are easy to get to.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear Quarter Glass Question   Rear Quarter Glass Question Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 12:00 am

I use a drift to remove the rollpin. It will take a pretty good beating without breaking the window. The other option is to unscrew the base of the hinge under the small cover on the D pillar, and remove it that way. You do not have to beat on the hinge, but it is a little tough to get the screws out. Be careful with the cover, it has fragile tangs on all four corners.

The hinge pins have silicone on them to keep them from working their way out, so they may give you some resistance when removing them.

My tint guy did the wings in the car with no problem.
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Rear Quarter Glass Question   Rear Quarter Glass Question Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 1:39 am

Fred, did your tint guy take the window apart, or just tint around the lever?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear Quarter Glass Question   Rear Quarter Glass Question Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 7:37 am

He just tinted around what you call the lever, that I call a latch. There is a small cut behind the latch, that you can not see under normal use. I have a collection of vent windows, and some are done that way, and others have been removed and tinted. There is a phillips screw that holds the button to the window, and you would have to remove it as well, if you remove the glass for tinting.
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Rear Quarter Glass Question   Rear Quarter Glass Question Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 8:23 am

Thanks again Fred. He is going to just tint the window on the car with out taking it apart. If I find a wagon at the junk yard, I will see if I can get it out of the car without breaking it. I would like to have the tint without a seam, but for now I don't want to take a chance of him breaking any of the hardware or the glass to get it perfect.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear Quarter Glass Question   Rear Quarter Glass Question Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 8:43 am

If you can get another rollpin, you can push the old one out with a pair of large channel locks, provided that you protect the bottom of the button. A nut with a larger inside diameter than the rollpin would work, and allow the rollpin someplace to go. Once you have it part way out, it gets easier to move. By using the channel locks, you are not pounding on the glass.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear Quarter Glass Question   Rear Quarter Glass Question Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 11:08 am

Would it be a good idea to have someone standing outside just in case the glass gets away from you?
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Rear Quarter Glass Question   Rear Quarter Glass Question Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 3:07 pm

Got the car back awhile ago. There is a little seam visible, and it will be less visible as it dries I'm sure. I will still look for a junk yard window to play with. The shop told me they would be glad to re do the window for me if I get it apart.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Rear Quarter Glass Question   Rear Quarter Glass Question Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 3:31 pm

Why would there be a seam? If the tint guy is worth his salt he'll be able to make a one piece install. Just looked at mine and the guy did it in one shop, just a small 1/4-1/2" slit to go around the latch.

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear Quarter Glass Question   Rear Quarter Glass Question Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 4:04 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Would it be a good idea to have someone standing outside just in case the glass gets away from you?

You take the rollpin out first, and the glass can not "get away from you". You are also standing outside of the car while working on the glass.
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Rear Quarter Glass Question   Rear Quarter Glass Question Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2012 7:55 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
Why would there be a seam? If the tint guy is worth his salt he'll be able to make a one piece install. Just looked at mine and the guy did it in one shop, just a small 1/4-1/2" slit to go around the latch.
That is exactly how mine was done. The guy who does this is really picky, and wanted it to not have the slit you are referring to. He wanted the bare glass so there would be no visible seam or slit at all. I can live with the way he did it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear Quarter Glass Question   Rear Quarter Glass Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear Quarter Glass Question
Page 1 of 1